collapse
Sound like the real thing! Order Jason Phelps Calls Here

Author Topic: Ghost camp  (Read 5652 times)

Offline kirkl

• Virtual Campfire
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Ghost camp
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2017, 11:49:38 AM »
We'll okanagan, according to some on this site you can't do that. Better get back every night or pack your stuff up or get the rule changed lol
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 12:20:37 PM by Rainier10 »

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2017, 11:55:33 AM »
Those that are so concerned about someone's stash or how long they leave their camp out there need to get a life.

Offline kselkhunter

• Scout
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2017, 12:06:15 PM »
One other thing to keep in mind regarding what appears to be an unoccupied camp.  Some of us hunt all day.  I hike out in the dark, and return to camp in the dark.  Anybody that happens by my tent during the day would never see me there.

Just something to think about regarding a tent you never see anybody at during daylight hours.......

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • NRA Life, MH, WFW, CCRKBA, NAGR, RMEF, WSB
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2017, 12:07:45 PM »
I'm asking a question cause I think it's pretty sad you keep bringing up the 24 hour rule, so if a guy who's camping by himself has to run home for a couple days, then with your logic he needs to completely pack up camp and you'll be calling LE

So back to your barb; I don't go looking for ghost camps so I can run to the cops. I try to be a pretty fair person on the forum here and in the woods, I've learned to be more humble and grateful for my fellow hunters, and I've learned to give way even when it's been clearly my right to tell someone to "buzz" off. When someone smudges my character with an offhand comment, as I thought you had with your previous post, it gets under my saddle blanket a bit.

I've come upon two now that were clearly not base camps and were set up to take up whole campsites, one that could fit 10-12 people, places we'd scouted out, cleaned up, and planned to camp. They were "saved" with $25 Walmart tents with a $10 plastic chair. In one case, we left the tent and chair undisturbed and without reporting it. In the entire 10-day hunt, no one showed up to take it away or claim it. We took it out of the woods at the end of our hunt and brought it to the GPNF headquarters here in Vancouver, in case someone was looking for it. I thought 10 days was enough but maybe you think I was being a jerk. I don't really care. In the second instance, I called GPNF and the ranger showed up that afternoon and took down the tent without a word from us other than "There it is. What do you think?" He thought it was clearly left there days prior in an attempt to hold the spot.

This year, we'd cleaned out a campsite and someone was there when we got up there for the season. Neither of us had a problem with it and we had discussed our options ahead of time for that contingency. This ISN'T about being a tattle-tail, thinking I own the woods, or wanting to destroy someone else's hunt. This is about the rules for camping and fairness, for other hunters AND me. I get that you don't agree. That's what makes the world go 'round. Have a nice day. :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Rainier10

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2017, 12:13:20 PM »
Personally I just move on.   The world is big enough to let the ephrata boys have their fun.   I guess I live in Yakima country and am used to ghost camps.   No, I donít like them, but....

Just realized the sign in front of the tent said "ephrata boys".  :chuckle:  I was thinking you were taking a shot at ephrata.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Off-Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2017, 12:13:35 PM »
One other thing to keep in mind regarding what appears to be an unoccupied camp.  Some of us hunt all day.  I hike out in the dark, and return to camp in the dark.  Anybody that happens by my tent during the day would never see me there.

Just something to think about regarding a tent you never see anybody at during daylight hours.......

First, that wouldn't be 24 hours. Secondly, your tent wouldn't be empty and would look like it was being used.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Off-Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2017, 12:15:41 PM »
We'll okanagan, according to some on this site you can't do that. Better get back every night or pack your stuff up or get the rule changed lol

Your comment again is inappropriate and disrespectful. If you're too immature to engage in respectful dialogue with people who don't agree with you, then don't engage. But don't call people names. It's against forum rules.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 12:20:15 PM by Rainier10 »

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Off-Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2017, 12:18:16 PM »
I suggest people forget the purpose of this forum is a gathering of ideas and knowledge. This thread, to me, has become a bashing room, much like when liberals can't stand to hear an opposing view. When you run out of ideas, you turn to insults. That's BS and I'm out.

Offline Rainier10

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2017, 12:22:42 PM »
Cleaned up the name calling.

A healthy debate on the subject is encouraged.  Don't let this spiral into name calling.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Colville

• Scout
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2017, 12:33:37 PM »
Go back to the OP.  This subject almost never comes up about spike camps for one small tent with gear that a hunter goes to and from.  This is about high and heavy use areas that are easily driven to and access popular public land.  The spots are frequently very high demand and someone is trying to grab not a share, but more than their share.

I don't know anyone who ever thought anything about a tent that was off trail in some basin unoccupied no matter the length during deer season. These disputes are almost always about very high demand camp sites, on roads in high hunter density areas.  When that happens and when someone tries to play the "dibbs" game, especially for a larger chunk of dirt one tent wouldn't require, people get bent. And should.  We don't need to deflect into the rare case in order to defend the usual case.  This isn't really about Pack hunters and their small and efficient base camps.

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2017, 12:49:20 PM »
Go back to the OP.  This subject almost never comes up about spike camps for one small tent with gear that a hunter goes to and from.  This is about high and heavy use areas that are easily driven to and access popular public land.  The spots are frequently very high demand and someone is trying to grab not a share, but more than their share.

I don't know anyone who ever thought anything about a tent that was off trail in some basin unoccupied no matter the length during deer season. These disputes are almost always about very high demand camp sites, on roads in high hunter density areas.  When that happens and when someone tries to play the "dibbs" game, especially for a larger chunk of dirt one tent wouldn't require, people get bent. And should.  We don't need to deflect into the rare case in order to defend the usual case.  This isn't really about Pack hunters and their small and efficient base camps.

:yeah:

The OP photo is from Robinson Canyon in the L.T. Murray Wildlife Area.  Not far away on either side are multi RV compounds with picnic tables, ATVs, UTVs, generators, even one with a large flat screen TV.   Then there is the site in the photo, taped off, no vehicle, nothing but an empty tent barely secured enough not to blow away. 

No oneís spike camp, no one is hiking off for the day.  Iím curious if itís still there or if the Eíboys showed up and occupied the camp. But Iím not curious enough to go back and check.

Offline Igor

• Virtual Campfire
  • Scout
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2017, 12:52:01 PM »
With all of the time spent being the "ghost camp police", how do you guys find time to hunt ??

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2017, 12:56:00 PM »
My guess is that it was just a false flag op by the Walla Walla boys to direct ire on the good and wholesome Ephrata boys. 

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Off-Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2017, 12:57:29 PM »
With all of the time spent being the "ghost camp police", how do you guys find time to hunt ??

Exactly.  We'd have a lot more time to hunt if we didn't have to look so long for a decent place to park a hunting camp.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2017, 12:57:54 PM »
If it makes any of you feel better, the tent probably isnít unoccupied. Itís less than a hundred yards from a very active rattlesnake den. :chuckle:
My website.....DDK Photography
http://ddkphotography.pixels.com

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2017, 01:03:26 PM »
 :yike:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Pinetar

• Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2017, 01:05:53 PM »
If it makes any of you feel better, the tent probably isnít unoccupied. Itís less than a hundred yards from a very active rattlesnake den. :chuckle:

Two rattlesnake dens  :chuckle:

Offline Killmore

• Longhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2017, 02:30:16 PM »
I have killed rattlers right where that tent is.

Offline Don_D

• Site Sponsor
  • Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2017, 05:15:28 PM »
My guess is that it was just a false flag op by the Walla Walla boys to direct ire on the good and wholesome Ephrata boys.

Lol, nice.  :chuckle:

Offline dscubame

• Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2017, 06:53:45 PM »
It's hunting season y'all got way better thoughts to be focused on than this nonsense. 

Different areas have different demands.  Where most areas are concerned it ain't a big deal, but for some other small percentage of areas yes ghost camp would suck.  I think all of you are correct in your opinions based on where you camp.

Go get sum this weekend and enjoy the outdoors!
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Virtual Campfire
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2017, 06:58:37 PM »
Found this camp day after archery season. S.O.B already staked claim for next year :bash:

Offline baker5150

• Site Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2017, 07:24:26 PM »
Found this camp day after archery season. S.O.B already staked claim for next year :bash:

There was a legit Teepee in the bumping last year. Guy, wife, and kid it looked like, drove by a few times early and late, I really wanted to stop and see if I could check it out but never had a chance and didn't want to disturb them.
Coolest camp Ive seen yet.

Offline Oh Mah

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2017, 07:45:29 PM »
It's hunting season y'all got way better thoughts to be focused on than this nonsense. 

Different areas have different demands.  Where most areas are concerned it ain't a big deal, but for some other small percentage of areas yes ghost camp would suck.  I think all of you are correct in your opinions based on where you camp.

Go get sum this weekend and enjoy the outdoors!
  :yeah: like setting up camp.  :chuckle:
"Boss of the woods"

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2017, 08:50:32 PM »
I agree in taking it down but be smart. Don't camp there. Let an unsuspecting camper take the space after you cleaned it up. That way when the guy and his buddies that left the tent show up in the middle of the night drunk you don't have do deal with the threats and cursing. You can camp a couple of spaces over and watch the fireworks.
This is possibly the most unsportsmanlike thing I have ever read.There is something wrong with this guy.
:dunno: :dunno: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Oh Mah

• Virtual Campfire
  • Sourdough
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2017, 09:14:13 PM »
where can a person see the 24 hour rule?
"Boss of the woods"

ElkNut Outdoor Productions