collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ghost camp  (Read 20949 times)

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
Re: Ghost camp
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 08:05:32 AM »
Well said, as usual.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2017, 08:16:20 AM »
Are we that anal about a "SPOT" to mess with someones stuff?  There are millions of places to camp!   So a guy takes time and gets his spot, before anyone else? Boo Hoo, grow the hell up!!!   I personally set up my trailer the week before deer season, no need to try and reserve a spot. Its pretty damn easy, get off your butt and set up your camp.   

As for touching someones stuff,  your asking for an arse whuppin!  And you mess with the right persons stuff you just might get it!  Now is all that worth a confrontation?  Nope, simply move on and enjoy the great outdoors..   and for the most part many would probably welcome you to join their camp. 

As for calling the law?  Don't you think they got better things to do then fix a squabble over a dang camping spot?   First come first served...

RT, I have a ton of respect for you. But we will disagree on this. The rules are there to make it fair for everyone needing a place to camp. If you want to reserve it a week ahead, it's simple; you have to be there for that week. Under your reasoning, why put it up just a week ahead? Why not two weeks, a month, or two months? It's not fair, that's why. I'm not about to take someone's stuff down myself, but I will call LE. And as far as LE having better things to do? If all they did was investigate major crimes, I'd leave them alone. But that's not their whole job. If they can pull me over for a missing tail light or going 11 miles over the speed limit, and then also charge me for drinking a cup of coffee, they can come investigate someone leaving their garbage out in the woods. And that's what it is - garbage.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 08:19:04 AM »
I never have, and still don't get the 'look the other way' mentality when it comes to certain stuff. When do you stop? When the guy shoots a deer during archery season with a rifle? Theres lot of other deer in the woods, he's not bothering your hunt! When the guy poaches a moose? You weren't hunting moose, it doesn't make any difference to you so why bother calling the warden?

Thing is, whats illegal is illegal. Doesn't matter if its poaching or some guy claiming a spot with a ghost camp... by the way, its hard to look at it as "first come first served" when theres no one there.  :twocents:

Offline Mossbak

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 08:20:09 AM »
Are we that anal about a "SPOT" to mess with someones stuff?  There are millions of places to camp!   So a guy takes time and gets his spot, before anyone else? Boo Hoo, grow the hell up!!!   I personally set up my trailer the week before deer season, no need to try and reserve a spot. Its pretty damn easy, get off your butt and set up your camp.   

As for touching someones stuff,  your asking for an arse whuppin!  And you mess with the right persons stuff you just might get it!  Now is all that worth a confrontation?  Nope, simply move on and enjoy the great outdoors..   and for the most part many would probably welcome you to join their camp. 

As for calling the law?  Don't you think they got better things to do then fix a squabble over a dang camping spot?   First come first served...
I couldn't agree more with this

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 08:47:03 AM »
We should take a poll to see who has already set up their hunting camp for the  modern firearm deer opener this coming weekend or who will set one up this week before opening day. That includes leaving tent, trailer or RV unattended.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 08:55:15 AM »
I go over early, but have never left stuff and came home.

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2017, 09:11:35 AM »

RT, I have a ton of respect for you. But we will disagree on this. The rules are there to make it fair for everyone needing a place to camp. If you want to reserve it a week ahead, it's simple; you have to be there for that week. Under your reasoning, why put it up just a week ahead? Why not two weeks, a month, or two months? It's not fair, that's why. I'm not about to take someone's stuff down myself, but I will call LE. And as far as LE having better things to do? If all they did was investigate major crimes, I'd leave them alone. But that's not their whole job. If they can pull me over for a missing tail light or going 11 miles over the speed limit, and then also charge me for drinking a cup of coffee, they can come investigate someone leaving their garbage out in the woods. And that's what it is - garbage.

I can see both sides of the argument.  I personally don't have many issues in my area. But Im sure some places it can cause issues.  Heck just pull your trailer next to mine.  Ha ha problem solved buddy.. 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2017, 09:14:24 AM »
My question to some of you is what are/is your basics of calling a ghost camp.  (I know this camp is obvious). But many times maybe they aren’t.   I have a lean camp.  I might be gone by 3am back at 10pm.  I don’t have stuff out. I don’t want it stolen or rained on. You might only see a tent and if I am really getting fancy, a woodpile.  You’d have to unzip my tent to see what is in it.   Would you go that far?   Then there are occasions I coyote out.  Is that illegal because I left my basecamp for more than 24 hours?  It’s really sad when most of my trip out I am worried about how I am going to find my camp when I return.  It’s bad enough the meth heads, but regular outdoorsman as well.....  curious?

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2017, 09:25:06 AM »
I try and allow others some wiggle room.  If you setup a total BS camp 1-2 weeks early that only takes 10-15 minutes and then do not come back at all until opening day or the night before then I have no problem if someone takes it down or calls the LE.

If you are setting up a larger camp and are in and out for the week before using it to some level then I have no issue with early camps.  I know some that would start setting up camp early and bring out the family to camp, hike and scout prior to the season. Then leave for a few days and return for the opener.

I have never stopped to poke around in another persons camp, but there were a few I was wondering if they were being used at all. 

In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2017, 09:33:47 AM »
My question to some of you is what are/is your basics of calling a ghost camp.  (I know this camp is obvious). But many times maybe they aren’t.   I have a lean camp.  I might be gone by 3am back at 10pm.  I don’t have stuff out. I don’t want it stolen or rained on. You might only see a tent and if I am really getting fancy, a woodpile.  You’d have to unzip my tent to see what is in it.   Would you go that far?   Then there are occasions I coyote out.  Is that illegal because I left my basecamp for more than 24 hours?  It’s really sad when most of my trip out I am worried about how I am going to find my camp when I return.  It’s bad enough the meth heads, but regular outdoorsman as well.....  curious?

Again, I'm not going to take down anyone's camp. A ghost camp is anything unattended for more than 24 hours. If it's a tent with a chair and nothing else, it's a ghost camp. The LE can make a determination of what they find when they come to look at it.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Matth

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2017, 09:47:11 AM »
 :yeah:

:yeah:

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2017, 10:01:27 AM »
I think there's a huge difference between a guy who puts up his tent or trailer a bit ahead of season and does so in a way that grabs only as much real estate as that set up would require.  Is that legal, no, but it's not offensive.

However, a $35 yard sale white stag tent from 1975 and then a tape fence cordoning off half a football field?  NO.  Guy parks his trailer on a logging road that blocks the access to a flat that would hold 5 trailers? NO.  Guy takes a spot then chains off entry to other spots adjacent until his buddies arrive.... NO. 

If a guy wants his spot with his tent or trailer at risk in space that's appropriate, most people won't get in a twist. But the OP with the taped off field, I would see no problem with someone puling down that tape even if they had no intention of hunting or camping there.  I'd never touch a tent or trailer, but If that's where I was headed to camp I would not respect that tape line.

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2017, 10:14:28 AM »
I don't see anything wrong with heading over to your hunting spot early and setting up camp. Shoot I'm doing it in Idaho this year. Headed over to set camp, hunt a couple days then go home for a week so I can be home to take my 3 year old trick or treating. I'm heading back to camp after trick or treating and its going to be nice pulling into a set up tent at 3am. Just saying maybe there is a good reason behind them having camp up  :dunno:. If not I would still be respectful and set up elsewhere.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2017, 10:17:48 AM »
I think there's a huge difference between a guy who puts up his tent or trailer a bit ahead of season and does so in a way that grabs only as much real estate as that set up would require.  Is that legal, no, but it's not offensive.

However, a $35 yard sale white stag tent from 1975 and then a tape fence cordoning off half a football field?  NO.  Guy parks his trailer on a logging road that blocks the access to a flat that would hold 5 trailers? NO.  Guy takes a spot then chains off entry to other spots adjacent until his buddies arrive.... NO. 

If a guy wants his spot with his tent or trailer at risk in space that's appropriate, most people won't get in a twist. But the OP with the taped off field, I would see no problem with someone puling down that tape even if they had no intention of hunting or camping there.  I'd never touch a tent or trailer, but If that's where I was headed to camp I would not respect that tape line.

:yeah: I think the flagging tape put this one over the top...

But what do I care they are camped to low in elevation for my liking anyway.

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2017, 10:20:46 AM »

I couldn't agree more with this
:yeah: x 2

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal