collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blacktail Rut?  (Read 60024 times)

Offline TikkaT3-270Shortmag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Blacktail Rut?
« Reply #60 on: October 21, 2017, 12:47:14 PM »
Grunted in a masher 3x3 for a friend this morning, the buck came out of the reprod facing away from us, grunting back. Buddy did not give me time to grunt at him, to turn him around. He whistled, that buck ran like a bat out of hell. I looked at him and said REALLY, when is the last time you heard a buck whistle. Called in a dink 2pt he was not interested in shooting.
I've seen people whistle and it works

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2017, 12:53:31 PM »
Bucks were out all over the place when I was driving to Scatter Creek this morning.
All over the place? Please elaborate.  I just went by scatter crk lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

One big one under the overpass at Dupont, two forkhorns at Trosper Rd by Mcdonalds and a smaller three point buck right behind a doe on Case Rd where it floods. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 02:58:09 PM by JDHasty »

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2017, 12:59:07 PM »
My son just missed one that had tried to mount the doe he was with. Unfortunately, when he was at 20 yards, she was in the way behind him. Then, he moved to the side and I misjudged the distance so my son shot just over him with the crossbow. :-(

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Had a pair of bucks follow two more doe past us, not as close of a shot opportunity and missed the bigger one.  A little buck fever I think.   ;)  The younger one was more interested in the doe's butt, but the bigger one rubbed the crap out of a tree at 35 yards, too bad he was behind some other trees as this was almost the only time he stayed in one place.

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
  • Groups: CCA WWA
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2017, 01:35:37 PM »
Whistle to stop them. But not in a calling sequence, I have called and rattled loads of BT for 30 years. And would not use that in my routine😎but who know. They are ghosts
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 02:16:33 PM by Mallardmasher »
USN 1985-94, IBEW Local 46 1994-Present
Matt

Offline andr3wxmma

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2017, 02:42:51 PM »
Saw a tiny spike trying to chase a doe today (around 1000 ft), but she wasn't having any of it and reared up and started kicking him.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2017, 03:58:51 PM »
I have gotten phone calls from three people who filled tags today.  Nothing big, a couple second antlerless tags filled and a decent size spike.   

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2017, 04:32:35 PM »
I've seen zero sign of the rut so far.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2017, 04:39:50 PM »
Seen fresh rubs today that weren't there Monday.
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2017, 05:13:40 PM »
I saw a couple bucks out running does today.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2017, 06:33:34 PM »
Just got a call, another three point tagged today. 

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2017, 06:46:27 PM »
The bucks ARE rutting in the islands, does, not so much.  Wife got a 2 1/2 year old spike tonight, definitely stinky.

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2017, 06:52:17 PM »
Congrats!!! Good to hear!
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2017, 07:04:00 PM »
Pics or it didn't happen Loki!  (congrats!)

Spent the day at a girls HS swim meet.  No bucks in that pool.   

I thought today would be the day the flood gates opened.  Perfect nasty weather. 
I'm not liking the forecast for next week.   Seems like warming weather usually keeps the deer active primarily at night - much like it was a couple of years back.  Good to see some are reporting activity.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2017, 07:30:04 PM »
Grunted in a masher 3x3 for a friend this morning, the buck came out of the reprod facing away from us, grunting back. Buddy did not give me time to grunt at him, to turn him around. He whistled, that buck ran like a bat out of hell. I looked at him and said REALLY, when is the last time you heard a buck whistle. Called in a dink 2pt he was not interested in shooting.

Mallardmasher - could you expound on the technique you use when you're trying to grunt in a buck?  I use a grunt call fairly frequently in conjunction with rattling and sometimes by itself.  I've never had a response.   Thanks for any help you can provide.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2017, 07:42:16 PM »
Pics or it didn't happen Loki!  (congrats!)

Spent the day at a girls HS swim meet.  No bucks in that pool.   

I thought today would be the day the flood gates opened.  Perfect nasty weather. 
I'm not liking the forecast for next week.   Seems like warming weather usually keeps the deer active primarily at night - much like it was a couple of years back.  Good to see some are reporting activity.

I decided to shoot birds on weekends for a couple weeks and am going to take the 30th & 31st off work and hunt deer again.

I had suggested that last weekend was going to be really tough for the guys who hadn't been out during Archery & Muzzleloader Season.  IIRC we had a year like this about six years ago too.  I was confident I could solve my bratwurst problem w/a fat doe, but was skeptical about guys who were not familiar with where the deer were moving through this year as opposed to normal years and I was right on that account.  Other than my doe, all we had was one dink that a buddy shot in camp by Sunday evening.  From what I have heard today the deer are using their usual locations this weekend.  Everyone I talked to was seeing bucks today. 

I was out during Sept and during ML Season on my stands and in my blinds, not sure if I would be able to shoot my bow after the wreck, but it didn't matter.  Unlike last year wherein I had deer in front of me every day and was passing on decent mature bucks, this year I never had the opportunity while set up.  I did botch getting a shot at a real nice one two weeks ago w/my bow.  But that was the only deer I would have even considered putting my General Season tag on that I had anywhere near where I needed him to be.   

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal