collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Floorless in Western WA?  (Read 9669 times)

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: Floorless in Western WA?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 06:47:53 PM »
I can backpack my teepee deep into the woods, much lighter than a conventional (floored) tent, even with the stove.

What weight are you looking at with your teepee and stove together?

I was always under the impression that with a lightweight quality tarp/teepee, a stove and stove pipe you'd be right around 5-6 pounds with the best quality stuff.

With the very best equipment, that is about right.  My teepee is actually a bit heavier than that (I am cheap, and did not purchase the best, but it is good enough for me).

I also climb (alpine) and carry a very lightweight tent for that, so I am well aware of the benefits of the floored tent option.  I also understand the heavier, floored tent for truck camping (very convenient, I will agree).  But for wet & cold backpack hunting, I don't think I will ever go again without a teepee.

I do understand the complaint about vermin in the warmer months.  We have that same problem while climbing---to prevent rodent damage during our day climbs, I just leave the doors open.

Teepees are built at sharp angles, so perhaps they are stronger against concrete snow, if staked properly.  My only weather experience has been driving Pacific rainstorms, and I was fine.

The stove actually dries the ground quite well, so mud in the floor-less tent is not really a concern.

To each his own.  Use the equipment best suited for the need.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 07:31:33 PM »
I called Aron Snyder last year and was askikng him about this. He works at Kifaru and spent a lot of time in the west side of Oregon. He recommended a Hilleberg for wetter weather, he also said if you go with a tipi in the rainforest you need a liner or your going to get wet from condensation.

I'm still using a MSR hubba hubba works great but you can't stand up. I'll probably buy a new tent someday when this one fails.

Call Kifaru, they won't talk you into the wrong product.

Offline dreamingbig

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Floorless in Western WA?
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 09:14:54 PM »
I have had chipmunks chew into 2 different tents the last two years.  I am bringing a rat trap next year. Darn rodents.

One was freestanding tent while the other was floorless with a nest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 10:44:41 PM »
I can backpack my teepee deep into the woods, much lighter than a conventional (floored) tent, even with the stove.

What weight are you looking at with your teepee and stove together?

I was always under the impression that with a lightweight quality tarp/teepee, a stove and stove pipe you'd be right around 5-6 pounds with the best quality stuff.

Thats for smallest size without liner, pole, floor.

My seek outside XL stove complete with pipe is 4#, my 8 man seek tipi is 4.5# with carbon fiber pole.  But liner and half floor adds another 1.5# so it gets up there at 11# for combo.  Wouldn't need liner & floor for nice weather but rain/snow its needed as your wet gear will rain the inside until stove drys it out.  Have to have liner in the wet - really full liner needed if bringing in wet gear.

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2017, 12:06:16 AM »
I'd be curious to know how the teepee style would have stood up to the 3" of concrete-like snow I had on my tent last weekend that weighed about 300 pounds.

Jackelope, I just returned from the GRW and suffered the concrete snow on my SL4.  The SL4 is not as good with snow as some of the taller, steeper teepee's, but it handled it.  The interior space gets smaller as the sides cave-in a bit and the sil-nylon always sags a bit when real cold.  It was incredibly wet in the brush and the stove couldn't dry all my clothes in the 1.5 hour or so that I run it at night.

I was not in an area to see goats, but thought about your hunt. Hope you connect.

Offline Shawn Ryan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Snoozing in elk country.
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2017, 12:16:18 AM »
I've used a floorless backpack tent and stove for 9 years. (Mostly not in W. WA.)  I've used floorless wall tents and hillbilly camp (pop-up and tarp) for 20+ years in W. WA. This is the first time I've had significant mouse issues.  Not a mouse here and there:  multiple mice at any given time in all my gear and food.  Running across our heads while sleeping, climbing the center pole, chewed into the food bag, nested in my parka at night, etc.  They sat and ate a foot from my head while I trained my headlamp on them and talked to them--not scared at all. 

It was well below freezing with several inches of snow.

Solutions? I'll be bringing a tin for the food (like what Christmas cookies come in) and d-Con for them to eat.  Or a cat!

Is this year different than other years? Where are the predators for such a large prey base?  Is this the new normal for W. WA?  Never was normal when I was floorless in W.WA previously.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 12:38:00 AM by Shawn Ryan »

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2017, 05:23:15 AM »
@ShawnRyan: The cat option is the best. Then just leave it there!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2017, 06:17:57 AM »
I see Kuiu is coming out with a new tent with a stove jack option. Summit Refuge 3P
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline D-Rock425

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2017, 07:49:38 AM »
I have a kifaru sawtooth and couldn't be happier.  Just be smart about where and how you set it up,and you won't have a problem.  Had mine is some nasty rain and only an inch or two a round the edges get wet.

Online CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2017, 10:57:59 AM »
If rodents bother you bring a few traps.  I put my new teepee to work a few weekends ago.  My buddy woke up in the night to a pack rat trying pull the beanie off his head.  There was also a nice pile of shredded paper the little trouble maker tore up our game regulations in the night.  I plan to camp in the same spot in a few weeks and have some traps ready for him this time.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2017, 11:11:09 AM »
I have noticed in years passed when hiking there were times walking down the trail when a person would see mice jumping across the trail in front of you. This is probably one of those years as it is my experience it's cyclic.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2017, 01:58:49 PM »
I'm not a fan of floorless shelters at all, whether in western WA or elsewhere.  Single wall floorless shelters are an ancient technology that in my mind has been improved so much as to be obsolete.

There are fans for sure, particularly with certain brands and certain brand ambassadors.

For me, I'll take a solid double wall tent for any fall through winter conditions.
Have you actually used a high quality single wall floorless shelter?

The fact that you can run a stove in a shelter makes floorless the most attractive option for late season hunting. Drying out your gear is crucial. Can't do that in a double wall.

Not to mention that a decent double wall tent weighs 2 to 3 times a similar sized floorless.

You couldn't pay me to run a double walled shelter.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Offline CLARKTAR

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2017, 02:56:45 PM »
I'm not a fan of floorless shelters at all, whether in western WA or elsewhere.  Single wall floorless shelters are an ancient technology that in my mind has been improved so much as to be obsolete.

There are fans for sure, particularly with certain brands and certain brand ambassadors.

For me, I'll take a solid double wall tent for any fall through winter conditions.

The fact that you can run a stove in a shelter makes floorless the most attractive option for late season hunting. Drying out your gear is crucial. Can't do that in a double wall.

Not to mention that a decent double wall tent weighs 2 to 3 times a similar sized floorless.

Ditto!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline DWP

• Hunter
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 09:20:13 AM »
August/September hunting leaves me with options...  Do I use my Cimarron? Do I use my Cimarron with the stove?
Do I use my BA Copper Spur 1?        Or do I use my DST tarp?       

Later in the year the list of suitable options gets smaller for me...Most likely using the Cimarron with the stove as the weather gets colder & more wet.

I prefer floorless with a stove as the weather gets colder and more wet for lots of reasons... Dry out gear, get myself warm, keep my boots on going in & out of shelter, etc....

All equipment decisions are a tradeoff. Be open minded, try out various options, and find out what works for you.

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2017, 10:38:06 AM »

i have spent many nights in a single wall floorless, and you could pay me, but it would have to be substantial to go back to one. everything about double wall free standing is so much easier and versatile. the stove fad is completely lost on me. wait til that thing is completely soaked on the inside and every gust of wind sends rain all over your gear inside

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]