collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho unit 1 whitetail advice  (Read 9296 times)

Offline tony04

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Idaho unit 1 whitetail advice
« on: October 09, 2017, 11:38:12 PM »
Heading over Thursday night after work and will be over there until monday. Mainly going to try to get my son his first deer but also scouting areas for late season.  I've never been over there before but have spent quite a few hours on Google earth. I've been mainly looking around the Priest Lake area. How's the timber over there? Is it huntable? Or should we stick to clear cuts? I've read that it's pretty brushy in the pan handle.  Just looking for advise or tips and what to expect. And hopefully I can update this post with a pic of my son and his first deer. Thanks

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Idaho unit 1 whitetail advice
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 06:28:58 AM »
You need to wait till.the rut in November.  It's going to be a zoo right now with the elk rifle season going on.  The whitetails don't show themselves till.they go in rut.  That's my advice. 

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 07:12:04 AM »
You need to wait till.the rut in November.  It's going to be a zoo right now with the elk rifle season going on.  The whitetails don't show themselves till.they go in rut.  That's my advice.

:yeah: Be warned it goes from thick to thicker. Come November your chances of success increase greatly. Best of luck in your hunt. Im trying to get my kid his first deer this year to.

Offline tony04

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 07:28:57 PM »
I'll be going back Nov 19-25 for the rut. But im using this trip to get familiar with the area and try to get my son a deer.  I didn't think about elk season going on..

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 07:57:51 PM »
Unless you are nocturnal you won’t see much until November.   I spook em when chasing moose, but usually only rewarded with  a look at big antlers and the flag.

Offline tony04

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 02:28:20 PM »
Unless you are nocturnal you won’t see much until November.   I spook em when chasing moose, but usually only rewarded with  a look at big antlers and the flag.

So they must be more nocturnal than blacktail I take it?

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 03:02:18 PM »
Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 05:54:37 PM »

So they must be more nocturnal than blacktail I take it?

Not sure I know blacktail enough to be able to make a comparison, but I will say other than the little guys , they are very nocturnal

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 09:31:25 PM »
October is good for scouting.  You'll see where they've been. Rub lines, even some early scrapes sometimes.  October can yield good information, but likely not mature deer.  The woods are dog hair thick.  Ridges and benches, work those and look for game trails and micro clearings.  A great 10 yard window on the right sign in the thick can be a great spot. You are ambush hunting, find the sign, cut a lane to shoot and a lane to give you early warning that something is coming and sit. Movement will kill you even before noise.  And they will get right on top of you without you hearing a damn thing so don't have your gun laying across your lap!

If a spike will do, sit anyplace you find heavy activity.  A clear cut that's not too regrown will have a trail on every edge of it. The high corners (if these are away from the road/skidders) make good locations.

Offline skeeter 20i

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 07:20:55 AM »
October is good for scouting.  You'll see where they've been. Rub lines, even some early scrapes sometimes.  October can yield good information, but likely not mature deer.  The woods are dog hair thick.  Ridges and benches, work those and look for game trails and micro clearings.  A great 10 yard window on the right sign in the thick can be a great spot. You are ambush hunting, find the sign, cut a lane to shoot and a lane to give you early warning that something is coming and sit. Movement will kill you even before noise.  And they will get right on top of you without you hearing a damn thing so don't have your gun laying across your lap!

If a spike will do, sit anyplace you find heavy activity.  A clear cut that's not too regrown will have a trail on every edge of it. The high corners (if these are away from the road/skidders) make good locations.

:yeah: That's some good advice right there.
"The world is changed by your example, not your opinion."

Offline tony04

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 05:56:02 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies. It was definitely a learning experience to say the least! My son ended up getting his first deer. We spotted 5 does in a clear cut and seen a spike with them. My son wasn't able to get a clear shot at the spike, and the deer ended up getting spooked and ran out of clear cut. So we drove to an upper road towards where they went and we were able to get find them again. But this time we didn't see the spike. My son decided to take a doe, and I crouched down so he could use my shoulder as a rest. He picked the biggest bodied deer that gave him a clear shot. I was watching a different deer than the one he shot at and was nervous that he missed. But tracking where they went we immediately found good blood. About 30 yards away we found his deer. Shot right through the heart. Turned out to be the spike! It's a doe with spike horns still in velvet.  I've heard of does with horns but never laid eyes on one until now.

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 06:04:25 PM »
Looks like a big old doe.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline benhuntin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 06:04:43 PM »
Congrats to your son.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 06:19:25 PM »
Boom, sweet!  Nicely done dad, and son.

Offline skeeter 20i

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 07:01:20 AM »
The smile says it all!!  It was nice talking to you Tony maybe our paths will cross in a couple of weeks.

Jason
"The world is changed by your example, not your opinion."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal