collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Is it time to push for a new system, draw, alternating year, etc?

No
Yes

Author Topic: Washington State Mule Deer Hunting Future (poll)  (Read 40087 times)

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Washington State Mule Deer Hunting Future (poll)
« on: October 10, 2017, 02:22:38 PM »
 I thought I'd throw this up before the 2017 general season begins, so those that still don't see a problem can vote now and see if they change their minds by the end of the year.

There are those that couldn't care less what the herds look like, their only concern is being able to purchase a tag every single year and hunting. Then there are those that see the clear picture and understand the only way things are going to improve are with restrictions and pred control.

The poll is set up so you may change your vote later.

What say you?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Washington State Mule Deer Hunting Future (poll)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 02:26:55 PM »
I voted yes. Unless there is a clear and determined change in predator control, along with other factors, the mule deer herd is going to continue to decline. I am game for whatever it takes to ensure the health of the herd in the long run
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 02:28:54 PM »
If it takes that to help bump the herd back to objectives then I vote yes.

Offline idahohuntr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »
I would definitely favor greater harvest restrictions on mule deer...hunter harvest is a big factor in the GMU's I hunt.  In fact if it weren't for existing 3pt restrictions - I don't think a single buck would survive! 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 02:37:08 PM »
A big yes from me phool, you know my feelings, if I could vote a "thousand" yes, s I would :tup:

Offline superdown

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 02:42:06 PM »
I voted yes and will stick with that vote.I hunt an area that is a mix of whitetail and mule deer the quality and quantity of mule deer has gone down drastically since i started going to the area in 1992 and started hunting it in 1995.Would i like to be able to buy a tag and hunt every year of course but i would like to see recovery much more.I feel that white tail should be any deer and otc and mule deer should be draw. :twocents:

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 02:55:11 PM »
I'm not sure what the herd "used" to be necessarily. I can say that after just coming back from Montana, they have some HUGE mule deer over there.

I'm not opposed to a every other year situation across species. In my idea you could hunt mule deer one year and elk the next, eliminating the need (I'd hope) for having to choose what side of the state you hunt for elk.

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 02:58:43 PM »
 Several people that voted "yes" giving reasons why they vote that way, can we hear some of the reasons why some of you that voted "no"? I'm sure your reasons are as valid from your standpoint as anyone else's, let's hear them.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 03:01:44 PM »
I'm not sure what the herd "used" to be necessarily. I can say that after just coming back from Montana, they have some HUGE mule deer over there.

I'm not opposed to a every other year situation across species. In my idea you could hunt mule deer one year and elk the next, eliminating the need (I'd hope) for having to choose what side of the state you hunt for elk.

Remember this discussion? ;)

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,86231.msg1080089.html#msg1080089

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 04:06:24 PM »
Let me say, I have been against this since day one. Mostly because I didn’t want to sit out a season waiting to be drawn, but I have completely flipped.  Our herd is in horrible shape.  I can’t eloquently express how bad they are.  If we don’t do something soon, they are done.   No doe tags, no late hunts for a couple years. Shut down units, something has to be done.

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 04:10:55 PM »
I don't support every other year or draw only I do support pick a side like elk. And I support specific area closures.  I also support increasing east side bear tags to 2 and upping the cougar quotas by quadrupule.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 04:14:35 PM »
I haven't voted because I don't think it matters.

I'm pretty sure if you make it draw only for mule deer the wolves and cats will eat what ever number you think your going to save.

A bandaid on a pumping artery isn't going to change much.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 04:21:53 PM »
I like Oregons system. Draw only for hunting mule deer. Set an amount of tags to be issued off population surveys. There are enough whitetail and blacktail hunting opportunities in this state to support everyone that does not draw. Just my  :twocents:

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 04:44:10 PM »
I do like over the counter tags,so no to draw,new system, But I would say yes to more restrictions on mule deer,like a 4pt min just on this site alone ,i see a lot if 3x2 that get harvested that could be nice deer if let live another year.No doe harvest at all for the whole state.That's youth,disabled,draw,doesn't matter no mule deer doe at all ,just plain illegal to shoot mule deer doe,with restrictions like these it might take a few years but herds would recover .
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline jnordwell

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 05:00:03 PM »
How about stopping the Indians from killing year round. That would help.  When I was kid they couldn’t or didn’t kill to fill orders for people. In Trout lake you can get them to kill you a deer for 100$ and a elk for 250$ or there about until this changes nothing will help. We limit our rights and they continue to do what they want.
Side note like the gill netting in the Columbia. That was gonna stop but yet they still do it. The sport guys need to change but not the gill net crew.. (non Indian)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal