collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Is it time to push for a new system, draw, alternating year, etc?

No
Yes

Author Topic: Washington State Mule Deer Hunting Future (poll)  (Read 40088 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Washington State Mule Deer Hunting Future (poll)
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 05:24:56 PM »
I haven't voted because I don't think it matters.

I'm pretty sure if you make it draw only for mule deer the wolves and cats will eat what ever number you think your going to save.

A bandaid on a pumping artery isn't going to change much.

I'd hazard a guess without doing any research that there are crap tons more wolves and cats in most other western states that have a lot more controlled mule deer hunting and it's better quality mule deer hunting in pretty much every other western state in the nation than it is here with wide open harvest.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 05:47:25 PM »
First, I want to say that winters are in most cases probably the biggest factor in deer numbers. Next, with roughly 4000 cougar that average eating 25-50 deer per year, it seems that some 100,000 or more deer are destined to....
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline BoomWhop

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 05:48:34 PM »
I voted no.... That said I was 51% 49%.  I do think the doe permits should be eliminated, seasons reduced and late permits reduced.  Even close a couple of units if need be.
If your gonna be Dumb you better be Tough

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 05:51:15 PM »
Yes, something needs to change.  Shorten archery to a week, muzzleloader to four days, modern to 3 days.  Drop  permit hunts in migratory units in central WA.  Able to use deer/elk/bear tag on cougars, bounty on coyotes.  Anything to limit harvest from us hunters but allow opportunity and control the predators we can at this point. 
"Courage is simply fear that has said its prayers"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 05:57:49 PM »
First, I want to say that winters are in most cases probably the biggest factor in deer numbers. Next, with roughly 4000 cougar that average eating 25-50 deer per year, it seems that some 100,000 or more deer are destined to....

So as someone who is in the know on the cougar front, how would you say the WA lion population compares to other states like ID and MT where there is clearly better quality mule deer hunting?

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline floatinghat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 06:02:16 PM »

I voted yes for Mule deer and take a whitetail. 

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 06:04:43 PM »
Yes, something needs to change.  Shorten archery to a week, muzzleloader to four days, modern to 3 days.  Drop  permit hunts in migratory units in central WA.  Able to use deer/elk/bear tag on cougars, bounty on coyotes.  Anything to limit harvest from us hunters but allow opportunity and control the predators we can at this point. 
I don't really have any knowledge on this topic, but this seems reasonable.  :dunno: I like the "choose your side" of the state also.
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 06:06:17 PM »

I D & M T have much lower population densities that can support more animals.  So I'd say that's not really a good comparison

I'm pretty sure if you make it draw only for mule deer the wolves and cats will eat what ever number you think your going to save.

I'd hazard a guess without doing any research that there are crap tons more wolves and cats in most other western states that have a lot more controlled mule deer hunting and it's better quality mule deer hunting in pretty much every other western state in the nation than it is here with wide open harvest.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 06:10:17 PM »
I personally think there's a lot that's got to change. The amount of hunters, predator management, all sorts of things.
There is no 1 answer.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 06:12:26 PM »
I personally think there's a lot that's got to change. The amount of hunters, predator management, all sorts of things.
There is no 1 answer.

:yeah: probably the best answer
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 06:18:24 PM »

There is the phrase that brings out the need for clarification what this thread is about.
I see "herd" mentioned and then guys start talking about point restrictions.
I do not believe that does are not getting bred because of a lack of bucks.
So, are you worried about the herd or are you worried you won't get your chance at a monster buck.
There are a lot of people that are quite happy to get out hunting and success to them is some venison in the freezer even if it is a spike or in the current situation a three point. You are not going to get any support from these people to restrict you to every other year hunting. Sounds like ant-hunting rhetoric to me.
If you are really talking about the herd, a lack of deer as opposed to big bucks then the problem is probably predators.
I would dispute that we have less big cats then other western States. I think we have just as many or more plus we can't trap coyotes. Do something about that and you will have my full support. No doe tags :tup:
Tell me I can't go hunting because we have too many predators and Joe Trophy Buck wants a better shot at B&C and you will not get my support.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 06:30:12 PM »
Even though this my last year hunting in WA, I voted yes. Yes because of the state of the herds here. Cats, wolves, bad winters, and disease has continued to bring down the numbers here. I seen quite a few dead yearlings this spring and have found a dozen or so cat kills. I've been seeing less than a dozen deer per day this past week.

I would like to see them implement a quota for tags for every gmu/area and/or draw only for the Yakima herd. Try to reduce native harvest but that won't happen due to native rights. Increase cougar harvest to a dozen for each area.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 07:50:37 PM by Naches Sportsman »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 06:51:29 PM »

There is the phrase that brings out the need for clarification what this thread is about.
I see "herd" mentioned and then guys start talking about point restrictions.
I do not believe that does are not getting bred because of a lack of bucks.
So, are you worried about the herd or are you worried you won't get your chance at a monster buck.
There are a lot of people that are quite happy to get out hunting and success to them is some venison in the freezer even if it is a spike or in the current situation a three point. You are not going to get any support from these people to restrict you to every other year hunting. Sounds like ant-hunting rhetoric to me.
If you are really talking about the herd, a lack of deer as opposed to big bucks then the problem is probably predators.
I would dispute that we have less big cats then other western States. I think we have just as many or more plus we can't trap coyotes. Do something about that and you will have my full support. No doe tags :tup:
Tell me I can't go hunting because we have too many predators and Joe Trophy Buck wants a better shot at B&C and you will not get my support.

I personally think it's a little bit of everything. I can tell you that when I was hunting farm country in SE WA, I could have shot dozens of deer if I wanted to. I shot one every year for 7-8 years then I stopped shooting "legal" bucks and decided I wanted to concentrate on only shooting mature/big bucks. I've killed enough deer and I don't "need" to shoot a deer to feed my family(Let's be honest, it's cheaper per pound to go to Safeway). I understand not everyone feels this way and I'm totally fine with that. I will say that as soon as I quit hunting farm country and got out into the mountains and into public land, my opportunities to shoot deer dwindled severely. Even shot opportunities at just a "legal" buck dropped. So I guess I'm more interested in better opportunities and more success on all fronts for everyone and at the same time, I'd like to see our herds have an opportunity to rebuild after bad winters, bad fire seasons, mismanagement, predators, habitat loss, hair loss, blue tongue, you name it....the list goes on.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2017, 06:55:30 PM »
Even though this my last year hunting in WA, I voted yes. Yes because of the state of the herds here. Cats, wolves, bad winters, and disease has continued to bring down the numbers here. I seen quite a few dead yearlings this spring and have found a dozen or so cat kills. I've been seeing less than a dozen deer per day this past week.

I would like to see them implement a quota for tags and/or draw only for the Yakima herd. Try to reduce native harvest but that won't happen due to native rights. Increase cougar harvest to a dozen for each area.

Be happy with what you have. Here where I live on the W side I would think I was in heaven seeing that many deer. Been out two days this week. Saw three deer one of which was a cougar kill.
So if there were no doe seasons how would shortening the season or limiting hunter participation increase the deer herd? That is what I don't get about these type threads.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2017, 06:56:42 PM »

I would like to see them implement a quota for tags and/or draw only for the Yakima herd. Try to reduce native harvest but that won't happen due to native rights. Increase cougar harvest to a dozen for each area.

Be happy with what you have. Here where I live on the W side I would think I was in heaven seeing that many deer. Been out two days this week. Saw three deer one of which was a cougar kill.
So if there were no doe seasons how would shortening the season or limiting hunter participation increase the deer herd? That is what I don't get about these type threads.

This thread specifically is about mule deer herds on the eastside.
:dunno:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal