collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Is it time to push for a new system, draw, alternating year, etc?

No
Yes

Author Topic: Washington State Mule Deer Hunting Future (poll)  (Read 40036 times)

Offline HardCorpsHuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Semper Fi
Re: Washington State Mule Deer Hunting Future (poll)
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2017, 08:14:32 PM »
Yes for me, but it's all about reducing hunter densities and still providing annual opportunity for what's most important to the hunter.     

1) Eliminate the multi-season tags.
2) Pick your species (MD, WT, BT).
3) Keep season's the way they are now with a few tweaks.

:twocents: 
"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." -Wyatt Earp

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2017, 08:16:51 PM »
First, I want to say that winters are in most cases probably the biggest factor in deer numbers. Next, with roughly 4000 cougar that average eating 25-50 deer per year, it seems that some 100,000 or more deer are destined to....

THIS^^^^^^^

Couple things not mentioned yet that have a HUGE impact;

1. Roadkill...... I drive 40 hours a week and see countless deer taken out on central WA highways. Hwy 2/97 between Wenatchee and Leavenworth, 97A between Entiat & Chelan, 97 from Wenatchee to Chelan, combine these 3 alone and I probably see several hundred squashed mulies a year. The deer/sheep fence on 97A is working well in that section, we need more of these type fences, and/or better drivers.

2. USFS and their "Let it burn" policy.  :puke:  If we continue to let all of our forest lands(and the deer that live in them) burn up, the herds will never fully recover. Yes, the burns will help the herds in the long run, but how many years does it take to recover back to the numbers of deer before they were burnt up? The way its going the herds build up just in time for another major fire to wipe them out again. Manage the forests better; more controlled logging and better fire suppression.......If the Forest Circus was doing their job correctly there would not be huge fires every dang year!!

As far as predators go, cougars are definitely on a huge increase in my areas. One particular trail camera alone this year had more cats on it than I have gotten altogether on 10 different cams in the last 4 years. Tried my hardest to kill one, but to no avail.  Bring back hounds!!

And as others have said, There are many many reasons, all of which are not helping the herds.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:48:11 PM by NOCK NOCK »
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2017, 08:18:05 PM »
Yes for me, but it's all about reducing hunter densities and still providing annual opportunity for what's most important to the hunter.     

looking at these i want to ask are you for picking east or west with deer?
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline snowshoes22

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2017, 08:22:45 PM »
I don't want to get flamed for saying this but what about land owners with large tracts of land that pay taxes. Should they have to wait for a tag? Many land owners in agricultural Eastern Washington manage their land better than the state. Should they have to sit out seasons?
"I'd rather have a slow hit than a fast miss"

Offline HardCorpsHuntr

• Longhunter
  • Semper Fi
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2017, 08:24:09 PM »

looking at these i want to ask are you for picking east or west with deer?

No, strictly species.  Example; you pick WT.  You can kill a WT anywhere in the state (outside of permit hunts), but not a MT or BT.
"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." -Wyatt Earp

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2017, 08:28:17 PM »
Let me say, I have been against this since day one. Mostly because I didn’t want to sit out a season waiting to be drawn, but I have completely flipped.  Our herd is in horrible shape.  I can’t eloquently express how bad they are.  If we don’t do something soon, they are done.   No doe tags, no late hunts for a couple years. Shut down units, something has to be done.
I agree with Bone. Zap the doe, youth, and rut hunts. If that doesn't help, then we can talk about making all deer hunting permit only. I also think that motorized access should be eliminated in areas like the Teanaway, Colockum, etc. That'd due a whole lot of good for the deer back there.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2017, 08:29:38 PM »
I was asking because BT are only in west side.if hunters want to travel throughout the state during the season to switch between bt wt and mulies then there is a lot of time they are not hunting deer.these species are already spread out by the dept. by gmu for the most part.its a descent idea but i think its not much diff. than seperating deer tags E. and W.  :twocents:
"Boss of the woods"

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2017, 08:49:20 PM »
Not sure why this didn't post correctly on page 2....so trying again

First, I want to say that winters are in most cases probably the biggest factor in deer numbers. Next, with roughly 4000 cougar that average eating 25-50 deer per year, it seems that some 100,000 or more deer are destined to....

THIS^^^^^^^

Couple things not mentioned yet that have a HUGE impact;

1. Roadkill...... I drive 40 hours a week and see countless deer taken out on central WA highways. Hwy 2/97 between Wenatchee and Leavenworth, 97A between Entiat & Chelan, 97 from Wenatchee to Chelan, combine these 3 alone and I probably see several hundred squashed mulies a year. The deer/sheep fence on 97A is working well in that section, we need more of these type fences, and/or better drivers.

2. USFS and their "Let it burn" policy.  :puke:  If we continue to let all of our forest lands(and the deer that live in them) burn up, the herds will never fully recover. Yes, the burns will help the herds in the long run, but how many years does it take to recover back to the numbers of deer before they were burnt up? The way its going the herds build up just in time for another major fire to wipe them out again. Manage the forests better; more controlled logging and better fire suppression.......If the Forest Circus was doing their job correctly there would not be huge fires every dang year!!

As far as predators go, cougars are definitely on a huge increase in my areas. One particular trail camera alone this year had more cats on it than I have gotten altogether on 10 different cams in the last 4 years. Tried my hardest to kill one, but to no avail.  Bring back hounds!!

And as others have said, There are many many reasons, all of which are not helping the herds.

PS, I voted No.....but would be on board with a Yes only after seeing a well thought out plan.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:28:07 PM by NOCK NOCK »
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline REHJWA

• Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2017, 08:56:13 PM »
Is it time to push for a new system, draw, alternating year, etc? No...

What new system? Most new system mentioned so far just reduces opportunities for people and would have little impact on recovery.

New Draw? Oh so we can put more money into wolf recovery...don't see that help the herd.

Alternating Year? Reducing Hunter participation may increase herd numbers short term BUT most long term increases would be lost to predators and natural selection.

So...Yes the mule deer in the state need help in recovering.

There have been fewer and fewer deer since the 90s where we high hunt.

So what has changed? The most obvious for me is the restrictions that reduced effective predator controls.

Reestablish bait and hound seasons.

Establish a wolf draw by GMU in GMUs where wolves have "sustainable populations".(this would off set reduced funds from does tags)

Until annual reproduction rates increase we will never have the herds near carring capacity.
So..Reduce or discontinue does harvests until population objectives are meet..

Just my  :twocents:

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2017, 09:07:43 PM »
Having spent the first 39 of my 44 years on this planet in Oregon, the one thing I like there is all deer hunting east of the cascades (ie mule deer) is permit only for rifle.   Some permits are easier to draw than others.  Some can even be drawn with a second choice draw (and not give up any preference points).   The system works.  Not saying the Oregon mule deer herds are as healthy as they should be.  But going to a stricter permit system would be the best thing for the mule deer.

Well that and predator management....but would really rather not get into a wolf discussion here. 

Long story short, I voted "yes".   Although, it would be nice to make the permit system set up such that residents of that county have higher odds at the permit in their county.  I'm a wet sider, and even I'm annoyed with all of us that go overpopulate the mule deer hunting areas.   There is not much industry on the east side and folks that live there do it to enjoy the areas they live, at least give the guys that live over there higher odds to hunt in their own back yards.    :twocents:

Maybe general tags for the county you live, and limit permits for people that don't live in the county for the tag..... 
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 09:19:21 PM by kselkhunter »

Offline Slamadoo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2017, 09:28:15 PM »
1. Not ALL user groups will be limited by restricting opportunity. Some groups will continue to kill deer at current or increased rates.

2. Until our resources are managed through science and the North American Wildlife Conservation Model instead of the ballot box, voter emotion, and politicians, it will be virtually impossible to manage our wildlife efficiently or appropriately.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2017, 09:43:23 PM »
Bring Back the Hounds for Cougar and Bear but alas it won't happen. 

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2017, 09:53:07 PM »
What about extending hunting hours for bear and cougar?

I always see cougar at night time when hiking back to my tent in the dark in backcountry.   Make cougar an "any hour" tag, and we can limit them more easily.  Wouldn't be using a dog or baiting which are seen as evil to environmental groups, so not as "unsportsmanlike".   Just shooting them with aid of my headlamp on the hike back to camp.  Crazy how many are in my area.  Never see them in daylight, just in the dark.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2017, 10:09:22 PM »
Maybe deer farming would help.No not high fence hunting but volunteer groups that truly want to help the herds rebound.Personally i don't know why deer farming is not legal in WA. States that allow deer farming have increased deer populations in huge numbers.How you say?A lot of the hunters that some want TO reduce in the field will go and hunt these high fence areas add that to the volunteer groups releasing deer to the open say every 3 years.We could bring them back.Push this agenda with the BT groupos on the coast and maybe they would jump on board.  :twocents:

Deer farms could protect the deer from poachers and preditors better than the dept. is.The deer would be healthier eating better on the farms,Lice could be eliminated in time.JUST A THOUGHT IF YOU DISAGREE WITH THIS THAT'S FINE JUST GIVER SOUND REASONS FOR IT PLEASE.
"Boss of the woods"

Offline Slamadoo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2017, 05:42:24 AM »
Chronic Wasting Disease. Privatizing a public resource. Other high fence disease risks such as the ticks that have recently hurt herds in Yakima and Kittittas Counties. Risking the genetic pool of wild ungulates as well as public resources. The degradation of our sportsmans and conservation heritage.

These are a few reasons to NEVER support high fence hunting in this or any state.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]