collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Is it time to push for a new system, draw, alternating year, etc?

No
Yes

Author Topic: Washington State Mule Deer Hunting Future (poll)  (Read 40033 times)

Online bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Washington State Mule Deer Hunting Future (poll)
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2017, 11:36:09 AM »
Any suggestions then?

After getting back I think I will stick with going with the odd/even system(based on the last digit of your wild ID). I will only speak of the Methow herd but I think other traditional muley herd areas are seeing the same. Hunter numbers were the most I have seen, predators were the most I have seen and deer numbers were the worst I have seen. My family celebrated our 100 year anniversary of hunting the Methow(started in 1917) and boy have there been changes! There are still a very few family and friends alive that tell stories going back into the late 1930,s and the 1940,s that made the trip to just sit around the fire and tell tales. We heard stories of respect for other hunters, staying out of another hunters way and lending a hand to a stranger. Stories of seeing another hunter and immediately turning and going the other way, stumbling on to a hunter in a spot , raising your hand in a salute and mouthing the word "sorry" then slowly, quietly getting the h@@@ out of their space. Stories of 2week seasons taking in 3 weekends, some liked the first part because of more "camping type" weather where the local deer were mostly taken(and the local deer herds were robust up until about 10 to 15 years ago) and then they would go home and the second wave of hunters would role in, folks with tents, wood stoves and chains for their rigs, they hunted the migrators because by the 2nd week(usually ran through the 1st week of Nov.) the big fellas were moving in with a mission. We heard stories of bountys on coyotes seeing a bear or cougar was very rare let alone killing one. Stories of real FISH and GAME agents visiting our camp for hours, sitting by the fire and listening to stories my dad and great grandparents would tell of migration routes, staging areas, and fawning areas that they knew of. A great and respected biologist (back in the 1970,s and 80,s that I'm sure some on here know of)that my dad and I convinced to start gateing roads so people couldn't park motorhomes and trailers in migration routes. Stories of seeing 50 to 100 deer per day and maybe 8 or 10 hunters in a week(now you can reverse those numbers, 50 to 100 hunters and 8 to 10 deer :chuckle:). I have told these stories before, have thrown out ideas, have mentioned the "good old days" even got brave and posted some pics of our family history years ago but the bottom line is we have a history with these deer, this area and we care. I think all quality tags and doe tags should be done away with in the Methow, I think predators need to be controlled(if the state can't do it then we as hunters need to do it legally and ethicaly,) kill some yotes, buy a bear tag and a cougar tag. Lets face it(at least in the Methow) more and more land is being posted, more anti-hunting folks are moving there and for some reason(since the 2015 slaughter) more and more people are flocking there to hunt, I can't tell you how many folks I chatted with said it was the first time they hunted there and "heard" there were deer everywhere, some had hunted other parts of the state but "heard" there were deer behind every bush, they "heard" a lot of different things that they described to me that I haven't seen in over 20 years and even then most of what they "heard" was over-eggagerated and I know we will never see again even close to it in the Methow, one guy told me" I thought it was supposed to be easy to get a buck here, heck I haven't seen a doe in 4 days". My suggestion I guess,in a nut shell would be a 10 day season ending Oct 31st, no late permits, odd-even system so you are hunting it(Methow)every other year hopefully cutting hunting pressure in half. I know some will say that the Fish and Wildlife dept(they are no longer the GAME dept in my book) won't want loose money because of limiting tags, then double the cost of a tag and lic. for hunting the Methow, I would gladly pay double to hunt it on my year to hunt if it made a difference in quantity and quality of this herd. The next idea would be drawing 200 to 300 permits per unit from the Canadian border to Pateros and maybe getting drawn every 4,5 or 6 years, I myself like the every other year idea. :twocents:

:brew: I'd be honored to buy you a beer one of these days and chat about those times! :tup:

Would love to do that one day phool :tup:

Online baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2017, 12:03:28 PM »
I think one of the biggest problems is how well the deer have learned to read (lol)  Mule deer around my place are doing quite well, but they are very careful to stay behind the "no hunting " or "no trespassing" signs. Seriously, the amount of property that has been put off limits either due to straight no trespassing or "leased for hunting" has grown tremendously over the past few years. This privatization has served to squeeze more hunters into the open ground and provided a safe sanctuary for the deer.  I could have taken a couple of pictures during the hunt this year of nice bucks standing right behind "no hunting" signs, almost seemed like they were mocking the hunters that went by. Kind of off the thread topic, but I see this loss of ground as becoming as big a problem as the diminishing herds.  Around us the herd is doing well, but does'nt do much good if you can't get at em. Seems more and more across the west the only herds that are doing well are those that are located near or in large tracks of off limit ground. (of course the predators can't read as well as the deer, so it doesn't solve that problem)

Online bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2017, 05:48:41 PM »
I think one of the biggest problems is how well the deer have learned to read (lol)  Mule deer around my place are doing quite well, but they are very careful to stay behind the "no hunting " or "no trespassing" signs. Seriously, the amount of property that has been put off limits either due to straight no trespassing or "leased for hunting" has grown tremendously over the past few years. This privatization has served to squeeze more hunters into the open ground and provided a safe sanctuary for the deer.  I could have taken a couple of pictures during the hunt this year of nice bucks standing right behind "no hunting" signs, almost seemed like they were mocking the hunters that went by. Kind of off the thread topic, but I see this loss of ground as becoming as big a problem as the diminishing herds.  Around us the herd is doing well, but does'nt do much good if you can't get at em. Seems more and more across the west the only herds that are doing well are those that are located near or in large tracks of off limit ground. (of course the predators can't read as well as the deer, so it doesn't solve that problem)

As far as the Methow goes even the local deer herd is a mere shadow of what it once was, many have said including myself that it was nothing to see a hundred or more deer in all the fields all up and down the valley in August and September, heck all summer for that matter. Yes more and more land is being posted, fenced, habitat is shrinking with the influx of more and more people, is this the cause of the destruction of  this once strong and healthy herd?...its a contributor for sure but there is a lot more factors that have devastated this herd I,m afraid. Those tracts of posted land, private property that you mentioned are the only deer some folks seen over there this year, I talked to many that spent the whole season over there and the only deer they seen were the town deer and the yard pets, and their numbers are even in the toilet, a real shame.... :twocents:

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2017, 06:45:15 PM »
FWIW, I seen more deer in 218 this year than any other previous.  I haven't been hunting it real long, so take that in consideration.  I may have seen 1 legal buck but I was about 5 seconds too late.  I seen no less than 7 or 8 two points, one a giant.  It would be nice to see some season for those, maybe youth or 65 and older?  Or maybe open up one unit per year the first weekend to any buck and rotate the units.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2017, 07:05:28 PM »

As far as the Methow goes even the local deer herd is a mere shadow of what it once was, many have said including myself that it was nothing to see a hundred or more deer in all the fields all up and down the valley in August and September, heck all summer for that matter. Yes more and more land is being posted, fenced, habitat is shrinking with the influx of more and more people, is this the cause of the destruction of  this once strong and healthy herd?...its a contributor for sure but there is a lot more factors that have devastated this herd I,m afraid. Those tracts of posted land, private property that you mentioned are the only deer some folks seen over there this year, I talked to many that spent the whole season over there and the only deer they seen were the town deer and the yard pets, and their numbers are even in the toilet, a real shame.... :twocents:

For the last ten years or so there have been more deer bedding down next to rural homes etc., the reason is they have less fear of people then they do the predators. There would be far fewer deer if they did not have this protection against the predators.

Early summer when the whitetail does were having fawns, on two separate occasions we ran a wolf off, that was after the fawn/fawns. Talk to locals and they will tell you that seeing wolves is no big deal anymore, and then ask around about all the cougar sightings.

I know of four nice bucks that were taken during modern rifle that were town bucks. Those who claim because of homes there are less deer is false, in actuality it is just the opposite.

I think we have seen the last of migrating deer, there just isn't any left to migrate.

Offline predatorpro

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2017, 07:29:16 PM »
yall just keep driving roads and not kill anything and ill keep killing deer every year...no need to change anything

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2017, 07:31:35 PM »
That’s one hell of an attitude :rolleyes:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Online bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2017, 08:10:04 PM »

:yeah:...boy that came out of the cheap seats :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2017, 08:10:52 PM »

For the last ten years or so there have been more deer bedding down next to rural homes etc., the reason is they have less fear of people then they do the predators. There would be far fewer deer if they did not have this protection against the predators.

Early summer when the whitetail does were having fawns, on two separate occasions we ran a wolf off, that was after the fawn/fawns. Talk to locals and they will tell you that seeing wolves is no big deal anymore, and then ask around about all the cougar sightings.

I know of four nice bucks that were taken during modern rifle that were town bucks. Those who claim because of homes there are less deer is false, in actuality it is just the opposite.

I think we have seen the last of migrating deer, there just isn't any left to migrate.

Not so my friend, I saw more deer this year than last year in my area, and it’s all migrating deer I hunt. But I do agree the Mule deer are in a decline in Washington. Just hope for mild winters, and some predator relief.  :twocents:

But the moose numbers were really low compared to previous years, and wolf sign ways way up.  :bash:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline predatorpro

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2017, 08:38:53 PM »
just being honest....lol

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2017, 08:53:14 PM »
I'm sticking with my "yes" vote.

This year, in the farmlands we hunt, I saw 3 of the biggest deer I've ever seen, one was taken by a member in our party. Winter must not have been to bad. While I never have been a trophy hunter, the larger more mature bucks are the way things should be. Knowing these guys are able to breed year in and year out benefits the herd, the hunters, and puts just that much more meat in my freezer. I loved seeing these big bucks around, made me think there was hope of something other than the smaller 3pt basket type bucks we tend to get. Generally our group goes 3 for 5 at least, this year it was 1 for 5, although it should have been 2 for 5, but that's a story in ethics for another time.

Now, anyone have a late blacktail spot they want to share with me?  :tung: :chuckle:

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2017, 09:15:00 PM »
just being honest....lol

Well at least your honest  :dunno:........I bet your caca don't stink either.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline lemondog

• Scout
  • Groups: lemondog
« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2017, 09:46:58 PM »
It is real simple. Add population, reduce habitat, add wolves, restrict cougar and bear hunting methods and you will be very disappointed with an unlimited over the counter tag system. Weather you are a trophy hunter or an opportunity hunter. You will be mostly just be camping....O, then you won't need your guns either, so now they have a reason to take them away.....Give it 5 more years and see how you feel then. This state is going to be forced to go to a Nevada style limited draw for everyone....just reality and IMO the best thing that can happen..

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2017, 02:59:18 PM »

Not so my friend, I saw more deer this year than last year in my area, and it’s all migrating deer I hunt. But I do agree the Mule deer are in a decline in Washington. Just hope for mild winters, and some predator relief.  :twocents:

But the moose numbers were really low compared to previous years, and wolf sign ways way up.  :bash:

I wish you were right, I truly do.

But I don't see that happening, what I see is the town deer and farm land mulies, plus the white tail being the last of the deer to survive mainly because they don't migrate, they live in back yards etc. where they have protection from the wolves and other predators.

I believe we are now seeing the beginning of the end.  Sad deal.

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2017, 04:21:57 PM »

I wish you were right, I truly do.

But I don't see that happening, what I see is the town deer and farm land mulies, plus the white tail being the last of the deer to survive mainly because they don't migrate, they live in back yards etc. where they have protection from the wolves and other predators.

I believe we are now seeing the beginning of the end.  Sad deal.
You have incorrectly predicted so many "ends" I have lost count.   
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]