collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Modern Firearm Close Calls Or Worse  (Read 7144 times)

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
Re: Modern Firearm Close Calls Or Worse
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2017, 05:17:33 PM »
Today I went to check out a clear cut looking for blacktail and on my way in I heard shots ring off about 200 yards away. The person was using a rock face for a backstop and I heard a few ricochets and one bullet zipped by me about 75 yards away and smacked a tree. I may be done with modern from now on and just go strictly archery next season.

Hunting season doesn’t bring out jack ass target shooters, they are out there all the time!
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline Igottanewknee

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2017, 05:57:16 PM »
Many years ago back in Wisconsin, I was party hunting with some high school friends and had one doe tag to fill. You're able to do that back then. Anyway, a doe walks out of the woods toward me, so I shoot it and yell to the guys that I have a doe down. Well, two more does walk out and two of the idiots start shooting at them as they run past me and the tree I was happy to be leaning against.
But that's not the worst experience I've had. I was with different friends and they were getting out my car so they could make a drive. The guys started loading up their guns safely, but one of the guys turns around to ask a question while jacking in a round, and the gun goes off. Neither the car nor me were hit, but left a big hole in the asphalt.
Never hunted with any of them again.....

Offline WAnoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2017, 06:12:27 PM »
Today I went to check out a clear cut looking for blacktail and on my way in I heard shots ring off about 200 yards away. The person was using a rock face for a backstop and I heard a few ricochets and one bullet zipped by me about 75 yards away and smacked a tree. I may be done with modern from now on and just go strictly archery next season.

Hunting season doesn’t bring out jack ass target shooters, they are out there all the time!

I agree, I was just out looking for a new area that's close by. It was just another reason to push me over the edge to archery.
AK 907

Offline MAVsled

• MAV-HNTR
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/MavHntr
    • MAV's Outdoor Adventures
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2017, 06:29:50 PM »
We hunt the Bethel unit for elk, in 46 seasons you see some crazy stuff. I have an elk stand that I like to sit on and then we trade it around the camp as the season goes on. So one opening morning I am on the stand and my brother is up the ridge out of sight from me. I hear elk coming in the timber and then rocks rolling as they hit the opening. That is when the shooting starts from the ridge high above us. 19 shots later, and a couple of pauses to reload the shooters pause again I am guessing to reload again. Then I hear the sound of my brothers .300 Win Mag bark. He yells to me to come up, so I start up to him and we walk over to the spike bull. That is about the time we hear a bang from above and the sound of the bullet whistle past. Then I hear the words “Get the F&*K Away From Our Elk”.  I tell my brother stay at the elk I am going to call camp from the truck radio. Camp arrives at the elk, as one of the 2 shooters get to the elk, it has been at least 40 minutes now. We have the elk dressed out as they guy walks up and see’s one hole in it from the opposite side they were shooting at. We actually had to pull the elk away as others watched our backs from this guy. His last remark was “The next SOB that takes an elk I am shooting at, will be found next Spring after the snow melts”.  I truly think he would have shot one of in the back as we left had we not had elk camp helping us.

that is why I don't hunt below that Ridge you are referring too. Happened to me, my dad and 2 partners back in the late 1980's.
11 shots from 700+yards above. Bull came into my view at 90 yards, one shot from me and bull down, my shot just behind shoulder breaking opposite shoulder blade. Partner Steve and I had it gutted, head off when 4 guys showed up, giving me all what not verbally. I was surprised they got off their positioned lawn chairs around their warm up fire, to actually hike down.
At that point, My dad (and other partner) were back in the trees, covering us. When the bigger fella pointed his rifle my way, telling me to remove my tag, that's when My father yelled, "back off or your down!!"
those guys just about shiat their pants....me too.
that partner Steve never came back to that area with me.
My departed father used to warn me every year about hunting that bench below the "campfire ridge".

Offline John B

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Master Hunter, NRA, DU
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2017, 12:04:08 PM »
Not a rifle but thought I'd share. Last year while chukar hunting I had followed my dog into a small valley up on a ridge, all of a sudden two shotgun blasts go off about a second apart. The shot goes 10 feet over my head (I saw the wadding) and hits the dirt wall 20 yards past me. I holler up, climb out and had a fairly pleasant talk with the man. He apologized, I told him there were no hard feelings and we agreed to work opposite sides of the ridge. I got four chukar when I moved to the other side, so worked out alright.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2017, 04:04:27 PM »
I had a hunter shoot a 5 pt that I had been watching waiting for it to stand up for 5 hours. I was 200 yards down hill from it, the hunter shot the buck 4 times from above the buck directly in my line where I was standing. However, to his credit, I don't think he could have seen me because of the rock lip the buck was bedded on and angle he was at.
Oh the agony! I didn't go up to check it out (I did make sure he found it though), just felt like the wind was taken out of my sails. It was a great buck and I was happy for him, but disappointed for me.

Offline mitch184

• Pilgrim
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2017, 05:40:42 PM »
I had a hunter shoot a 5 pt that I had been watching waiting for it to stand up for 5 hours. I was 200 yards down hill from it, the hunter shot the buck 4 times from above the buck directly in my line where I was standing. However, to his credit, I don't think he could have seen me because of the rock lip the buck was bedded on and angle he was at.
Oh the agony! I didn't go up to check it out (I did make sure he found it though), just felt like the wind was taken out of my sails. It was a great buck and I was happy for him, but disappointed for me.

Boy this sounds familiar....  I had this happen both days last weekend.  Apparently they thought it was better to fire off 10 shots from 500 yards at a bedded buck OVER me.  You gotta love when they're talking so loud you can hear them say... "That guy is going after something, there must be a shooter somewhere over there"

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2017, 06:11:03 PM »
Similar story.  I was working the top of a hill in 530 and inside a brush line.  It was the last day of ML elk, and a second hunter was well down the hill/clearcut from me cow calling occasionally over the course of a couple hours - he did not know I was above him.  As it started to get dark, I heard him call from a bit closer, but still a couple hundred yards away, but did not think much of the fact that he'd moved. 

Within the last few minutes of light and unbeknownst to me, that hunter had worked his way back up the hill to leave for the evening when a small bear came out of the woods and passed in between him and me.  He killed the bear between us, and about 50 yards away from me.  He was surprised as hell when he saw I was right there.  You might say, I was a little "surprised" myself.   I cleaned my shorts out and helped him load up the bear.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2017, 06:42:36 PM »
My Jr year of high school I invited a friend deer hunting from school.  At the time I owned a Savage model 110 270 and a 30-30 Bolt action with a side mount scope.  I let him use my better 270 Bolt action because he didn't own a rifle.  We no more than left the truck to hunt whitetail in a any buck area and loaded up the rifles. We started down a logging road towards a bedding area I knew of walking side by side.  I was on his right shoulder side and we both had the rifles slung over our right shoulders.  A few more steps and BANG I couldn't hear out of my left ear.  This fool had put his finger inside the trigger guard and pulled the trigger.  I asked him, "How the hell did that just happen?" He said he forgot to put it on safe and accidently bumped the trigger.  I said, "Give me that damn rifle!" I unloaded the 270 and looked at him and said, "This hunt is over!" I drove him home and haven't spoken another word to him in my life.  BE CAREFUL AND SURE THAT WHOMEVER YOU INVITE HUNTING IS SAFE WITH A FIREARM! I LEARNED A VALUBLE LESSON THAT DAY.
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2017, 07:26:31 PM »
That story sounds like what happened to me. My dad took my older brother and me hunting. He also invited our cousin along who we had never hunted with. We hunted the day and went back to the car. As my cousin unloaded his 30-30 lever action rifle back at the car I heard a BANG next to me. My cousin had somehow discharged his gun unloading it. The round luckily hit only next to my foot. That was the last invite my cousin ever got to go hunting with us.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]