collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW issues permit for Cooke Aquaculture to bring in 1.8m eggs from Iceland  (Read 3570 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
What data? A full review of the company's aquaculture practices and pen integrity should be performed before further damage is done to our wild fish stocks.

Review is in progress. You are sounding like a liberal environmentalist, "we have no proof to the contrary, but we are going to make you stop until you prove we are wrong!"

Billions of Atlantics have been reared on this coast and many millions have escaped over the years. There has never been more than unfounded conjecture that they compete with or cause harm to any stocks on this coast and ,with a few isolated and short lived exceptions, have not been known to reproduce in the wild over here. Contrary to popular environmentalist propaganda, a few escapees are not going to create a viable self supporting population that will out compete native species and take over our waters.

Do you label everyone with whom you disagree as a liberal? Seems a bit ignorant but fine. The very same fish led to the utter annihilation of the wild Atlantic salmon populations when Norway instituted fish farming. Sea lice, competition for feed/prey, introduction of non-indigenous foods and chemicals/hormones all led to the collapse of the wild Atlantic salmon population. The evidence is there and to me, it seems like too big a risk to take on areas that contain some of the last wild salmon populations in the world. The fact that they have known problems with pen integrity should at the very least indicate the necessity of a review before increased farming is allowed.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Look up "Salmon Confidential" on YouTube. It's an hour-long documentary about Atlantic salmon farming in BC.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Well nimrod, you clearly are concerned about this issue, and have an opinion that differs from mine.  I can respect that.  Before I spend time addressing your arguments, let me be clear that I am open about my motivations as a commercial troller... so what is your dog in this farmed fish fight?   :dunno:

Up until 5 years ago commercial fishermen paid my salary. I lived in Sitka for 16 years and worked for NSRAA and SSRAA during 14 of those years. I did some commercial fishing and worked closely with trollers and seiner. Coming from that background I am fundamentally opposed to fish farms, but, at the same time, I don't like to see maligned an honest profession and a company no worse than any other farm or ranch in the US.  My original concern stems back to the first post regarding the sensationalized news article full of bent truth, half-truth, and omissions then the people jumping on the band wagon crucifying Cooke and the inability of the state to deny a permit without due process. I am fairly well versed in permits and I hate them and the often nonsensical, convoluted, and ass backward means of obtaining them, but I would be pissed to jump through all the hoops only to have the permit pulled for an emotional response to an isolated incident. Think I594, an initiative voted in by an ill informed, emotional group of people with no idea what a poorly written and useless law they are passing.

Yes, it is all my opinion and contrary to many, but every time I hear what a disaster the escape was, how poor of a company Cooke is (they may be but one isolated incident does not support that and I have seen no other supporting reports to their poor quality), how Cooke singlehandedly is responsible for any future declines in "wild" stocks, how Atlantic salmon are going to take over all our rivers, etc. It is a subject I know something about and have a forum to disagree on.

Do you label everyone with whom you disagree as a liberal? Seems a bit ignorant but fine. The very same fish led to the utter annihilation of the wild Atlantic salmon populations when Norway instituted fish farming. Sea lice, competition for feed/prey, introduction of non-indigenous foods and chemicals/hormones all led to the collapse of the wild Atlantic salmon population. The evidence is there and to me, it seems like too big a risk to take on areas that contain some of the last wild salmon populations in the world. The fact that they have known problems with pen integrity should at the very least indicate the necessity of a review before increased farming is allowed.

I do not and know better than to label you a liberal, but you are sounding like a liberal environmentalist.  You are using emotional reasoning for some of your opinions and this is that is the way environmental movement does every time they show a wolf bitch licking and frolicking with her pups and then ask for money to save the wolves from______.

Over fishing and habitat degradation are the main reasons Atlantics are all but extirpated in most of their historic range. Farming on a large scale with having many of the issues you purport wiped out the wild Atlantics came along well after the stocks were already in poor shape. Atlantics have had well over 100 years more time to be depleted and wiped out then our native salmon stocks, interaction with farmed salmon is relitively new and stocks were already in poor condition before farms ever became an issue.

With Cooke specifically, the state has performed reviews, engineering assessments, and tried any way currently in their arsenal including special EPA audits and testing to reject permits based on water quality. Granted it was a large escape, but this is not known problems, it is one problem.  They are not necessarily looking to increase production with the 1.8 million eggs, from what I have read the broken pen complex is only a small part of their total production.  These companies typically have very tight and professional operations ran like any other big business.  Companies like this are not in business to lose at least $500,000 in investment plus the cost in infrastructure damage. It is not an evil, insidious business trying to ruin all remaining salmon stocks in Puget Sound and surrounding areas by purposely (through poor maintenance) destroying their pens and releasing thousands of fish just before some of their investment would finally be recouped.

My  :twocents: take it or leave it, I will read and consider dissenting opinions and not automatically label a person a liberal, but don't bring emotional "facts" or fake news to try and sway me.  I will do my best to offer my argument and if I don't sway you then so be it.  We each have our own opinion and the more that are out there, the more diverse ideas we share.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:51:24 PM by j_h_nimrod »

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Well nimrod, you clearly are concerned about this issue, and have an opinion that differs from mine.  I can respect that.  Before I spend time addressing your arguments, let me be clear that I am open about my motivations as a commercial troller... so what is your dog in this farmed fish fight?   :dunno:

Up until 5 years ago commercial fishermen paid my salary. I lived in Sitka for 16 years and worked for NSRAA and SSRAA during 14 of those years. I did some commercial fishing and worked closely with trollers and seiner. Coming from that background I am fundamentally opposed to fish farms, but, at the same time, I don't like to see maligned an honest profession and a company no worse than any other farm or ranch in the US.  My original concern stems back to the first post regarding the sensationalized news article full of bent truth, half-truth, and omissions then the people jumping on the band wagon crucifying Cooke and the inability of the state to deny a permit without due process. I am fairly well versed in permits and I hate them and the often nonsensical, convoluted, and ass backward means of obtaining them, but I would be pissed to jump through all the hoops only to have the permit pulled for an emotional response to an isolated incident. Think I594, an initiative voted in by an ill informed, emotional group of people with no idea what a poorly written and useless law they are passing.

Yes, it is all my opinion and contrary to many, but every time I hear what a disaster the escape was, how poor of a company Cooke is (they may be but one isolated incident does not support that and I have seen no other supporting reports to their poor quality), how Cooke singlehandedly is responsible for any future declines in "wild" stocks, how Atlantic salmon are going to take over all our rivers, etc. It is a subject I know something about and have a forum to disagree on.

I do not and know better than to label you a liberal, but you are sounding like a liberal environmentalist.  You are using emotional reasoning for some of your opinions and this is that is the way environmental movement does every time they show a wolf bitch licking and frolicking with her pups and then ask for money to save the wolves from______.

Over fishing and habitat degradation are the main reasons Atlantics are all but extirpated in most of their historic range. Farming on a large scale with having many of the issues you purport wiped out the wild Atlantics came along well after the stocks were already in poor shape. Atlantics have had well over 100 years more time to be depleted and wiped out then our native salmon stocks, interaction with farmed salmon is relitively new and stocks were already in poor condition before farms ever became an issue.

With Cooke specifically, the state has performed reviews, engineering assessments, and tried any way currently in their arsenal including special EPA audits and testing to reject permits based on water quality. Granted it was a large escape, but this is not known problems, it is one problem.  They are not necessarily looking to increase production with the 1.8 million eggs, from what I have read the broken pen complex is only a small part of their total production.  These companies typically have very tight and professional operations ran like any other big business.  Companies like this are not in business to lose at least $500,000 in investment plus the cost in infrastructure damage. It is not an evil, insidious business trying to ruin all remaining salmon stocks in Puget Sound and surrounding areas by purposely (through poor maintenance) destroying their pens and releasing thousands of fish just before some of their investment would finally be recouped.

My  :twocents: take it or leave it, I will read and consider dissenting opinions and not automatically label a person a liberal, but don't bring emotional "facts" or fake news to try and sway me.  I will do my best to offer my argument and if I don't sway you then so be it.  We each have our own opinion and the more that are out there, the more diverse ideas we share.

Good stuff, thanks for the info. :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
I have been all over this topic and have been in touch with Inslee's staff.  Seems there was a loop hole in the contract and a lawyer found it.  So nothing can be done on this round.  BUT they are looking to close the loop hole.  The liberal's are most all environmentalist which they see the issues and are all supporting the wave regarding this.  So the fishing people see's issues and the liberals of this state see the issues so I see a possible closure pretty soon. 
275 down 2

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
That being the case, the introduction of Atlantic salmon to the waters could actually do very little to influence wild native species.   

Famous last words, what could go wrong if we dump this non-native species here?

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
That being the case, the introduction of Atlantic salmon to the waters could actually do very little to influence wild native species.   

Famous last words, what could go wrong if we dump this non-native species here?

So which is it?

We have been told by WDFW that they can not spawn in our streams with each other or non Atlantics.......so what's the problem? :dunno:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
farming non-natives is probably safer than any of the natives in the case of disease.  native stock just needs a disease, non native a disease and a mutation (for species specific diseases)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]