collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: secting a two way radio  (Read 2049 times)

Offline ThomMedic

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: evergreen sportsmen club, little rock, wa
secting a two way radio
« on: October 13, 2017, 02:09:09 PM »
Can any one give some advice concerning using hand held radios out in the woods. I am often up in the various federal forest lands or other public properties well into back country. Thus safety is a big concern.

I have looked at VHF/UHF radios and CB focused devices. Both would meet my needs without getting into trouble with the FCC or others. But which would provide easy access to others in case of an emergency. Is there a standard frequency used to get assistance or just talk to others without a prearranged frequency.

Thanks

Offline Russ McDonald

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
Re: secting a two way radio
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 04:00:23 PM »
Can any one give some advice concerning using hand held radios out in the woods. I am often up in the various federal forest lands or other public properties well into back country. Thus safety is a big concern.

I have looked at VHF/UHF radios and CB focused devices. Both would meet my needs without getting into trouble with the FCC or others. But which would provide easy access to others in case of an emergency. Is there a standard frequency used to get assistance or just talk to others without a prearranged frequency.

Thanks
If I were you would look into getting a HAM radio operator license.  Most radios you can buy of the shelf are for local use talking to your buddy or hunting partners out in the woods.  They use FRS and GMRS frequencies and limited in distance.   Agencies don't monitor those frequencies so in case of an emergency the only peole you will talk too are your buddies.   CB's are a bit different range can very and a lot of logging companies use them.  Emergency agencies don't monitor either.   CH19 most commonly used channel.  Ham radios better then the radios i talked about above.  You have to get a license forest then get hooked up with a ham group.  What is so good about ham radio is that they setup repeaters.  Repeaters are radios that are set on mountain tops to extend the range of a hand held radio.  Depending on frequency used you can talk up to 50 miles.  Also depends on topograghy of the land to.   Public agencies also don't monitor but most ham radio operators are always monitoring and would be a great help. There is a few ham people here that could chime in.   I am not a ham guy.   I have worked in the radio field for 30 years now.    Best radios out there are what law enforcement, fire, forestry, or fish and game.  They also use repeaters to talk but the public can not use them.   They are granted and pay for their frequencies they use which allows them to put who they want to talk their frequencies.  The other good thing would be a sat phone to.  There are also some emergency units that use satellites like spot or in reach by garmin.  Pm me if you want to talk more.   I will shoot you my phone number of your interested.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 07:27:42 PM »
you can buy and use Motorola two ways without license. We use them dog training. Ballard Ship Supply??? forgot the name sells them. Lots of businesses use them for communication. They work far better than the off the shelf walkie talkies. They are about $150 ea. they have weather channels and ability to call on emergency channel .
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 09:31:51 PM »
I guess it depends on who you're trying to reach.

If you're trying to get ahold of your buddies who are within a mile or so, use a two-way.  They are cheap.  Have a signal like firing three rounds so they know to turn the radio on. 

If you're wanting to be able to call for support if you get into trouble all alone... maybe look at those SPOT or DeLorme devices. 

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 10:17:31 PM »
We use Garmin Rinos.  Hard to beat them for GPS and radio features.  Typically more of a hunting radio though so limited range.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 05:22:56 AM »
you can buy and use Motorola two ways without license. We use them dog training. Ballard Ship Supply??? forgot the name sells them. Lots of businesses use them for communication. They work far better than the off the shelf walkie talkies. They are about $150 ea. they have weather channels and ability to call on emergency channel .
I'd be interested to know what emergency channel.   I know for a fact there isn't a emergency channel that a person who can buy a radio of the shelf can legally use.  Other then ch 9 on a cb.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Da stump

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Give me a good book and a gun, that's all I need.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 08:09:57 AM »
A tech license is not that hard to acquire. If you check your local area's for ham clubs most offer free classes or really inexpensive ones and the test is only around 15 dollars. This will give the maximum range for a two way and is a fun hobby as well. :)
I've slowed down enough in my old age to finally let the game catch up to me

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal