collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Firearm restricted elk area  (Read 6039 times)

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Firearm restricted elk area
« on: October 13, 2017, 04:04:57 PM »
Figured i would ask here and i have already emailed the wdfw to find out also. I am going to be hunting modern firearm elk on some private property i have permission to hunt and the area it is in is conpletely restricted down to archery only. My question is this, since crossbows are legal to use during modern firearm could i use a crossbow in that area? I do have a good working compound bow but limit myself to shooting no more than 60 yards and would like to take a crossbow because the newer ones are good to 100 yards give or take. Any ideas? Any info while i wait for the slow wdfw answer would be much appreciated!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: Firearm restricted elk area
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 04:08:03 PM »
A true "Firearm Restriction" area limits the use of centerfire rifles only; crossbows would be allowed.

If an area allows "archery equipment only", crossbows would not be allowed.

I would double check the wording of the restrictions in the area you are considering.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 05:06:07 PM »
Sorry for the weird circle but im on my phone doing this.

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 06:25:03 PM »
100 yards?

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 07:15:26 PM »
In that instance I don't believe a crossbow is allowed since it is not legal in archery only seasons, but you could contact WDFW to confirm. Good luck.

I would reference this: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=220-414-100

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 07:29:20 PM »
In that instance I don't believe a crossbow is allowed since it is not legal in archery only seasons, but you could contact WDFW to confirm. Good luck.

I would reference this: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=220-414-100
Just be sure you record the conversation if the guy from WDFW says it's okay....... :sry:

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 08:10:44 PM »
I already emailed them. Figured an email response would be best. That way if another game warden has an issue with it i can just pull up the email and show him. Just figured i would ask here while i waited for their response. Havent heard anything from them in a couple days so the wait continues. My compound will work really well 60 yards or less if need be. Just trying to up my chances of getting my first elk. Last 3 years i have been working harder on filing my elk tag than ever before.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 08:16:27 PM »
Let us know what you hear.  Good luck on the elk!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2017, 08:27:23 PM »
If this is considered an "Archery hunting season" (which it may not be) them 1(d) would make a crossbow illegal.

WAC 220-414-070

Archery requirements.

(1) The following provisions apply to all archery hunting seasons:
(a) It is unlawful for any person to carry or have in his possession any firearm while archery hunting in the field during an archery season specified for that area, except for modern handguns carried for personal protection. Modern handguns cannot be used to hunt big game or dispatch wounded big game during an archery big game hunting season.
(b) It is unlawful to have any electrical equipment or electric device(s), except for illuminated nocks, attached to the bow or arrow while hunting.
(c) It is unlawful to discharge a bow from a vehicle or from, across, or along the maintained portion of a public highway.
(d) It is unlawful to use any device secured to or supported by the bow for the purpose of maintaining the bow at full draw or in a firing position.
(e) It is unlawful to hunt big game animals with any arrow or bolt that does not have a sharp broadhead, or with a broadhead blade or blades that are less than seven-eighths of an inch wide.
(f) It is unlawful to hunt wildlife with any bow equipped with a scope.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 08:53:03 PM »
Thanks for the info guys! I will definitely be letting you know as soon as wdfw lets me know! Hope everyone has a good season and good luck!

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 10:37:16 AM »
Good luck out there. Let us know how it went 🙏

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The closer I get to nature, the farther I am from idiots.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 03:40:02 PM »
Finally got a reply from wdfw... figured i would update you guys on how useless they are. They told me that crossbows can only be used during modern firearm seasons. Uhhh duuuhhhh i already told them that it was for a modern firearm elk tag but in an area that has been restricted down to archery equipment by them! I emailed them again.. lets hope i get a quicker response. Bright side is i have been doing a lot of practicing with my compound bow the last few weeks and am confident i can place an arrow in an elks lungs out to 60 yards.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 03:56:45 PM »
Just saw this thread for the first time, and all I can say is common sense would tell me that a crossbow would be (or SHOULD be) legal. The restriction is obviously for safety reasons. A crossbow, or a compound bow, shouldn't be any difference in safety betweeen the two. The pamphlet says:  "You may use modern firearm, archery, crossbow, or muzzleloader, during modern firearm seasons." They just recently made crossbows legal for use during modern firearm, and this is the exact kind of scenario for which it makes complete sense for someone to use a crossbow. Personally, I probably would have just gone ahead and hunted with the crossbow without checking with the WDFW. But that's just me. You did the smart thing by trying to verify the legality first. It will be interesting what they say, if you ever do get another response.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 04:19:21 PM »
Finally got a reply from wdfw... figured i would update you guys on how useless they are. They told me that crossbows can only be used during modern firearm seasons. Uhhh duuuhhhh i already told them that it was for a modern firearm elk tag but in an area that has been restricted down to archery equipment by them! I emailed them again.. lets hope i get a quicker response. Bright side is i have been doing a lot of practicing with my compound bow the last few weeks and am confident i can place an arrow in an elks lungs out to 60 yards.

As it stands today you cannot use a crossbow during Archery Season unless you have a Disabled SUP.  One reason is that you cannot have a scope on your weapon during Archery Season unless you have a Disabled SUP. 

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 04:28:23 PM »
Im not hunting archery season. I am hunting modern firearm elk with my modern firearm elk tag in a modern firearm unit with a small section of it limited to archery equipment lol. Im just going to use my compound bow but wdfw needs to clarify this situation. Crossbows are capable of reaching a lot further a lot more accurately.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]