collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Only seeing does with no signs of bucks  (Read 8061 times)

Offline Ajj828

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Only seeing does with no signs of bucks
« on: October 14, 2017, 03:15:08 PM »
I'd say today's hunt went pretty good. I covered lots of ground and found where the deer like to move. The thing is I saw 5 does today and not one buck. Is this pretty common for pre rut? Or has the rut already happened? The does were all in the same area and there's fresh poop and fresh tracks everywhere. I didn't see one sign of scrapes from a buck in the entire clear cut so should I hunt  this area again tomorrow? I did notice the does making grunting sounds very frequently. Either the bucks are all hiding and refusing to come out or there area no bucks in the area. Most of the does stuck to the ridgelines of the clearcut in the shadows so I'll set up there again. It's also a very steep 20 acre  downward hill clearcut which is absolutely hell to walk through lol.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
Re: Only seeing does with no signs of bucks
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 03:25:12 PM »
Stick with the area ...bucks will show, it's early...wish I saw some does. Would like to Fill my doe tag. Dang fog, can't shoot what you can't see.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2017, 03:42:31 PM »
Normal.  Get used to it and stay the course.  Nocturnal and wise-till rut begins. :twocents:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 03:45:13 PM »
Yes, I think you got it.  The bucks are hiding and refusing to come out - that is what they tend to do.  Your first 5 or ten minutes of shooting light is your best bet all day so see a buck in that cut, at least until last light.  Don't give up though.  Some silly bucks think it's just fine living in those cuts.  They don't live long.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline AKBowman

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 04:29:37 PM »
Most likely pre rut hasn't started there yet. Your sitting on a gold mine if you can wait it out. My #1 spot this AM didn't have much fresh sigh at all. No rubs anywhere I could normally find them. They will be there eventually they always are just a matter of being there when they are and having a good wind.

Sometimes I will skip around early in the season. You would be surprised what you will find a few miles away or across a major roadway. One side can be dead while the other side is full blown chasing/seeking.
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 06:05:30 PM »
You found the does, stick with them. It's still a little early for pre-rut/rut.
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline Martinhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Whack em and stack em!!
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 07:15:30 PM »
Dude don't hang your head it's only going to get better.. the bucks start really heaten up the last few days of October into November and late buck. Hasn't even started yet.. I saw 2 bucks this morning and they were both with does so they might be sniffen around a little.
To God alone be the Glory!!

Offline WAnoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2017, 07:39:42 PM »
I guess look at the positives  :dunno:. I went out this am and didn't see any deer nor fresh sign and I was still happy to be in a quiet forest with no rain on the wetside
AK 907

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2017, 08:30:26 PM »
I seen 17 today...2 real small spikes....all the does still had this year's fawns with them....give it time and stick with the does....the bucks will show when the time is right
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline Tiger1358

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2017, 08:36:09 PM »
A lotta hunters would only wish they knew about spot like that. Just stick to that place till the bucks go crazy, probably in a week or so, then you'll find him.

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2017, 09:17:01 PM »
Once the rain and wind starts then you'll find your buck, they'll stick to the clearcuts more when the weather is stormy , just gotta be patient. With the weather we had today they can hear ya a mile away and they'll be alerted allot easier.

Offline PastorJoel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2017, 10:03:57 PM »
I saw 23 does today in one square mile or so, no bucks.  I hunted another place and covered many miles but saw nothing.

This is the first time I have hunted opening day and it was crazy how many hunters I saw.  I guess I shouldn't have taken out that full-page ad in the paper talking about the buck I got last year and giving out the precise coordinates.  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 10:13:10 PM by PastorJoel »

Offline Romulus1297

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 10:39:58 PM »
1 3 point 3 spikes  8 doe. Not bad because I didn't carry a rifle today. Wasn't hunting.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 12:06:47 AM »
I saw 23 does today in one square mile or so, no bucks.  I hunted another place and covered many miles but saw nothing.

This is the first time I have hunted opening day and it was crazy how many hunters I saw.  I guess I shouldn't have taken out that full-page ad in the paper talking about the buck I got last year and giving out the precise coordinates.  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Quite the day!  If I saw 23 does in one area, all in one day, I'd plant my butt there for the rest of the season!  You must have found the spot I hunt in the second area you worked today.  There's never any deer there.  Lots of sign, no deer.  :dunno:
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »
Seeing does during the legal shooting hours, along w/spike and small forkhorns.  Saw a massive four point BT w/brow tines cruising Friday after dark.  Shot a big doe @ ~ 35 yards w/my bow Saturday at the end of the day so my bratwurst problem is solved.  Dogs want to hunt birds real bad and have only been out once so far this year so me thinks I will take a break from deer hunting and humor the dogs.

With this doe I think any divine intervention or just dumb luck I may have had coming has been used up. 

Ya' can't take the shot ya' ain't got and on an elk and on this deer I took facing shots and pulled the trigger while thinking:  This is going to be a hell of a mess to clean. 

But my arrow was just a tiny bit off center and cutting the bone slowed it enough to stop the Slick Trick in the liver after taking out a lung... just about one inch short of cutting the guts open.   On the elk the 200 grain Partition went through the wind pipe, smashed half the heart and exited a couple inches to one side off the butthole w/o touching any of the guts.  How it did that will forever remain a mystery to me.   

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 09:23:48 AM by JDHasty »

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 09:15:36 AM »
Once the rain and wind starts then you'll find your buck, they'll stick to the clearcuts more when the weather is stormy , just gotta be patient. With the weather we had today they can hear ya a mile away and they'll be alerted allot easier.

Oh yea buddy, I likes me some foul weather BT hunting.  The worse the better.  My mother worries about me most when I am out hunting in that crap weather, but that is when I do my best work.   

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 09:33:09 AM »
Don't let it get you down, you have found the does...that is half the battle. 

The bucks are generally nocturnal right now and will stay that way until closer to the end of the month when the rut starts kicking in, then knowing where the does are will become clear.

Here are some shots taken last week from our property, note the times as they are correct.  Not one of these bucks has shown its self during daylight...

I have enough pictures to identify one little spike and two three points.
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 09:39:06 AM »
The little spike and the two 3pts:
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline Colville

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 09:54:18 AM »
They may not ever show up at light in the early season.  What you might try if nothing improves is to follow one of he more active trails that leads to your cut, walk it back a couple hundred yards.  In the trees it get's darker earlier and sometimes bucks will stage out nearby the open area.  They are up and moving, but not in the open.   You might catch one that's just gently easing toward the cut but stuck back in the woods till sun down.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 09:58:39 AM »
Don't let it get you down, you have found the does...that is half the battle. 

The bucks are generally nocturnal right now and will stay that way until closer to the end of the month when the rut starts kicking in, then knowing where the does are will become clear.

Here are some shots taken last week from our property, note the times as they are correct.  Not one of these bucks has shown its self during daylight...

I have enough pictures to identify one little spike and two three points.

Yup, that's pretty much how it works for me.  We were in after dark w/our lamps getting the doe I shot out and lit up a mature buck, but the mature bucks are pretty well hunkered down during the day.     

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 10:24:07 AM »
They may not ever show up at light in the early season.  What you might try if nothing improves is to follow one of he more active trails that leads to your cut, walk it back a couple hundred yards.  In the trees it get's darker earlier and sometimes bucks will stage out nearby the open area.  They are up and moving, but not in the open.   You might catch one that's just gently easing toward the cut but stuck back in the woods till sun down.

:tup: :tup:  Two thumbs up on that

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal