collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: nipple/percussion cap protector  (Read 7965 times)

Offline Buck86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • No
  • Groups: NRA
nipple/percussion cap protector
« on: October 14, 2017, 08:32:53 PM »
Has anyone seen these before? (the orange silicone thing)  And does anyone know where more can be found?

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
Re: nipple/percussion cap protector
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 07:53:58 AM »
Has anyone seen these before? (the orange silicone thing)  And does anyone know where more can be found?

I have a few someplace but have not seen them for purchase in recent times. They were pretty popular when side hammers were the thing...

Traditions still offers a variety of these in their rain gear pack

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline Buck86

• Tracker
    • No
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 08:18:16 AM »
Well you were actually my last hope of someone knowing where to possibly find more of these.  In my opinion they work better than those little rings from traditions. I have done an internet search and can not find these cap protectors anywhere.  And for my muzzle I use electrical tape, my front sight is too close to the end of the barrel for those little condom things. Any idea of the company that may have produced these? 

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 10:41:52 AM »
Buck I can not remember who produced them and like I said have seen them in years...

What rifle are you using?

This is all that I have - if you want them PM me an address

Offline Buck86

• Tracker
    • No
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 12:10:14 PM »
well sabot loader, I really appreciate that.  A pm will be sent let me know if you wish to have any$$ for them.  I have to say I am kind of surprised they aren't being made anymore especially with the open to the elements ignition system for the northwest.  I use a Knight Bighorn, looking to maybe upgrade to the disc?  I just am not sure if there is much difference besides the bolt? Again PM being sent Thank You!! :tup: :tup: :tup:

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 01:51:44 PM »
Not a direct answer to your question, but I just paint a seal aound my cap with clear nail polish. 

Works really well for me. Totally waterproof. 
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 03:44:41 PM »
well sabot loader, I really appreciate that.  A pm will be sent let me know if you wish to have any$$ for them.  I have to say I am kind of surprised they aren't being made anymore especially with the open to the elements ignition system for the northwest.  I use a Knight Bighorn, looking to maybe upgrade to the disc?  I just am not sure if there is much difference besides the bolt? Again PM being sent Thank You!! :tup: :tup: :tup:

I could have sworn I put up a post with some options for you but it does not appear to have posted.

So I will try it again...

For several years now I have been using 2 different methods to water proof the breech...

This is one method that I had used for several years...

The following pictures demonstrate what I did for several years....

Wrapping the breech with this wrapping plastic works very well and does not impair shooting at all..

This picture shows the roll of wrap I am using.  For the field I just roll a supply of wrap on a small wooden dowel for use in the woods.

The next method is to use a nipple that you can actually seal the #11 cap on the nipple post.

Track offers a nipple that will do this.  The nipple in the picture is a TRESO -AMPCO - the nipple that TOW is offering now has the same measurements - 'except for!' I will explain later...

Recently I found a source for the TRESO AMPCO nipple - this is a get nipple EXCEPT for one thing.  The 'flash hole' is drilled to .028/29 which is great for the ignition of real BP or the Pyros - but I use T7 which takes more heat to ignite in really cold weather.  To cure this problem I order these nipples from Buffalo Arms in Ponderay, ID.  When I get the nipples I then drill the flash hole out to .031 - That works perfect even sub-zero weather. Here is a link

https://www.buffaloarms.com/1-4x28-treso-ampco-t-c-nipple-for-no-11-caps-tre115001

The nipple in the center is the 1/4x28 Nipple

Why do these work so well - when you insert the nipple on the post with a brass capper and really push it on - the convolutions in the cap will stretch and form itself to the nipple post - water does not get in... PROBLEM - the only way you will get the cap off is shoot it off or pry it of with the edge of knife blade.

Either of these two applications will make the need of the cap covers not necessary...

Well it does for me - Hope some of this might help

Forgot... the difference between the Bighorn and the DISC... really the biggest difference is that the DISC offer a lot more versatility in the thing you can do.  Accuracy really about exactly the same... Loads same...  I would say I prefer the DISC or really the UltraLite but if you could see here next to the rifle I am using right now here in Idaho is MK 85.  Just wanted to change things up a little bit.

mike

Mitch184 - just sent me a PM the TRESO's ARE NOT TIGHT enough to seal the cap!

I just got three of them in the mail and checked them - no go!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:25:50 PM by Sabotloader »

Offline Buck86

• Tracker
    • No
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 06:50:14 PM »
Actually last year you steered me to the T.O.W. nipples and I did get a couple of those.  And yes I had to use a knife edge to get the cap off the nipple.  I like the silicone cap things just as a second back up?  Also I think Western WA where I hunt gets a little more rain than you do over there in Idaho, especially during late season.  Luckily I got my elk opening day of muzz this year.  See a couple of posts down.  So does that plastic wrap get in the way for a reload?

I have also heard about using nail polish before but that seems like it could be difficult to get the cap off, and I have also heard of using chap stick somehow? 

Thanks Again  Buck

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 07:14:15 PM »
Actually last year you steered me to the T.O.W. nipples and I did get a couple of those.  And yes I had to use a knife edge to get the cap off the nipple.  I like the silicone cap things just as a second back up?  Also I think Western WA where I hunt gets a little more rain than you do over there in Idaho, especially during late season.  Luckily I got my elk opening day of muzz this year.  See a couple of posts down.  So does that plastic wrap get in the way for a reload?

Nope the shot blows a hole in the wrap so you just grab it and pull it aside for a quick reload. Or pull it all the way off. It tears very easily... Here is a test for you try sometime... Load up a cap tightly on the post - pore water onto the nipple to simulate rain or snow - get it soaked.  Blow it dry then touch the cap off.  Bet it will go bang...

You are right you get a heck of a lot more rain than us - but I bet we get more snow... that's the one that I fight all the time When I am using an open breech...

I have also heard about using nail polish before but that seems like it could be difficult to get the cap off, and I have also heard of using chap stick somehow? 

Thanks Again  Buck

The chap stick thing would work great IF you had a way to get it all around the cap.  Just never figured out a good way to apply the stick or polish in around and under the nipple in that really confined area in the breech - a sidelock or break open probably not that much of a problem.

Offline Tacbeav

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 06:54:18 AM »
Anybody else use a tire valve stem cover?  I'm new to muzzle loading, but that's what the person i got my gun from was using.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 07:38:37 AM »
Those look like Delphi wire seals.  Maybe check those out and see if they would work!

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 08:02:43 AM »
Anybody else use a tire valve stem cover?  I'm new to muzzle loading, but that's what the person i got my gun from was using.

They often have been used with sidelocks...

Offline Buck86

• Tracker
    • No
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 07:49:17 AM »
Yes sabotloader we definitely get more rain and I am sure you get way more snow!!  I think we are both trying to prevent the same thing?

CTWIGS1- I looked those Delphi wire seals up and they do look similar. shaped slightly different, and the little hole in the end is a lot larger than what I have pictured.  I would have to see one in person as they also look a little thicker.  But hey they may work? 

Thanks Buck

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 07:57:58 AM »
That plastic wrap and electrical tape on the end of the barrel is what we use now.  Works fantastic.
275 down 2

Offline Missing Something

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2020, 09:10:36 AM »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]