collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How would you hunt this?  (Read 2053 times)

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
How would you hunt this?
« on: October 15, 2017, 01:12:50 AM »
I found what looks like a decent spot earlier this week for deer in N. Idaho. It's off of an old forest road that runs parallel to a ravine, at the bottom there's a very small stream. Both sides of the ravine are pretty steep but I was able make out a few trails in the opposite side running parallel to the creek some blowdowns, as well as a few small benches maybe 50 or so yards across. I spent a couple hours sitting behind some fallen trees for cover but didn't see any deer yet. ( went out before work so was only out 11-1)The area looks like deer would pass through there but trying to figure out if early would be better, or later in the day before dark. I'm trying to get away from crowds and hunt the timber more so than clearcuts. Shots would be anywhere from 50-150 yards. Do I just hunker down and sit on the trails and glass the opposite side of the ravine? Also is  calling for whitetails or rattle bags more harm than good before the rut? Trying to take a more proactive and effective approach this season rather than cover a ton of ground hoping to bump into something.

Thanks
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline VortekNW

• Tracker
Re: How would you hunt this?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 09:11:27 AM »
I like to hunt those from the side without the road behind the glass. Ive found several spots like that, and the deer know they are safe from view under the road side.
Long Range Hunting: Rbros (Defiance) .300 Win Mag / Broughton 28" LWLR Contour / NF ATACR Enhanced 5-25-56 MOAR-T / Manners EH1 / Trigger Tech @ 2.0 / Berger 215 Hybrid @2975 fps / Javelin UL Bipod

Competition: GAP Tempest 6.5 Creedmoor / Bartlein Sendero Contour / S&B PMII 5-25x56 H2CMR / KMW Sentinel / Jewell HVT @ 1.5 / Prime 6.5CM OTM 130gr @2925 fps / AW DBM / Harris Bipod

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 09:27:30 AM »
Wind direction?
Are the trails used to get from bedding areas to food sources? Any way to place a trail cam for a couple days without getting your scent all over the area?
You may consider keeping an eye from a distance and patterning activity on that trail. Study it for a future hunt.
If I wanted to hunt it now I would let the wind and terrain dictate where I set up a little blind.
Best of luck.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 06:34:28 PM »
Well I hunted the area yesterday for about 8 hrs. I set up on the side with the road as the wind was more in my favor that way. I was facing south wind blowing N me. Just basically glassed the opposite side all day. Around 1030 a doe appeared at about 70 yards,  she didn't stay long just casually walked down  and across the creek and over to my left and didn't take one look at me. I'm kicking myself know thinking I should have just taken her as antlerless is open here, but was waiting to see if something else would show up.  Nothing for the rest of the day. I'm hoping that I didn't make to much of an intrusion on the area and I'll let it sit till Monday in hopes that either the doe or another shows up, or a buck comes in.  I thought about putting a cam up next time I'm out to see what's going on otherwise but my only cam now will only take pics in daylight. ( bought used.) Hoping it'll work out, but glad at least I saw a legal animal in season that I could have taken. Next time I wont be so picky, my 4 yr old boy really wants "us" to get a deer this year.
“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline tgomez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 11:58:55 AM »
There is an old saying and it goes, "DON'T PASS ON THE FIRST DAY THAT IN WHICH YOU WOULD SHOOT ON THE LAST." It is your tag though and you have to be honest with yourself.  Are you after a trophy buck,  or filling your freezer with meat? Only you can answer that question. Either way don't dwell on missed opportunities, but if you are losing sleep over it than next time pull the trigger.  BEST OF LUCK AND ENJOY THE TIME SPENT WITH YOUR KIDDO. THE REST IS ICING ON THE CAKE.
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline viva_che1363

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 01:57:30 PM »
Yep, that saying was running through my head the rest of the day. I was hoping to shoot a bigger buck than my last, but this was a good sobering learning experience. My last buck was in WA on a friend's property, in a blind, on my first hunt. Sheer luck played a huge role in that before the shot. This season all variables are different, new area, new state, using natural cover, and  a minimal amount of preseason scouting.  time. You live and learn. Meat is meat . Although I'd love to have something to hang on the wall, putting meat in the freezer and getting my son involved in some part of the process is my priority.  now I know and learned the hard way. Im bringing my expectations down to a more practical scale- first legal deer it's game on. At least now I know for sure and there will be no hesitation.
― Theodore Roosevelt

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1