collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2017 I missed Thread  (Read 2789 times)

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
2017 I missed Thread
« on: October 15, 2017, 03:04:01 PM »
 :chuckle: Ok Ill start one.

Kid and I hit our spot at day break today. Same as yesterday, but the fog had us limited yesterday to listening. Today it was crystal clear. Immediately we had deer moving. Nothing presented a shot for a couple minutes and then one stopped and was looking at us. 200 yards out. Cant put horns on it for the kid. Really want him to get his first deer. He told me to go ahead and fill my doe tag since the other deer had hit the thick stuff. Looked the deer over for 2-3 minutes. No rush, but I couldn't see horns. I decide to fill my doe tag, get greedy and take a upper neck shot trying to save meat. Deer just looks at me....WHAT :yike:  It turns and starts to move away, as it does it turned into a spike.  :bash: I take another poke at it on the move but missed. Looked for blood for an hour, nothing.  Felt solid in both shots so hit my buddies short distance range on the way home. 1" left at 30 yds....Well do the math. Its was dialed in 2 weeks ago so not sure what happened. Not sure if I'm more bummed for missing the deer or if I more bummed for not letting the kid get a shot at his first....Season is still young though. We will be back at it. Kid was in good spirits afterwards though saying he wasn't shooting unless he saw horns and he was really hoping for a 3 pt or better anyway. :chuckle:

Offline andr3wxmma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
Re: 2017 I missed Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 03:29:09 PM »
At least it was a clean miss, not a wounded deer getting away.

Offline Molon5labe

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 04:45:24 PM »
At least you've actually seen deer :rolleyes:
And have a doe tag :rolleyes:
But yea, that sucks. Sounds like it's time for a new scope. Ring screws tight?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 04:51:31 PM by Molon5labe »

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 06:25:21 PM »
At least you've actually seen deer :rolleyes:
And have a doe tag :rolleyes:
But yea, that sucks. Sounds like it's time for a new scope. Ring screws tight?

Ya, there is a bright side..I think. :o Rings are good, scope...maybe. More than likely the Rifle. The old Ruger has seen some rough days in 30 plus years, maybe she wants to retire. Or maybe I just plain missed. ....Oh the thought.... :chuckle: Having to admit Im human....
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 06:33:29 PM by fishngamereaper »

Offline bowNarrow

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »
I missed a nice 3x3 with my bow this year. It let me shoot 3 times at it. Went to the range after and found I was way off.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 06:31:55 AM »
My dad this year got a new nickname - "WhatDeerClickBOOMBOOM".

I'll spare the details but that does describe four different opportunities, and there are no notches on his tag  :chuckle:

On the brighter side, getting four opportunities at bucks is a great experience.  He still came home with a smile on his face!

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 11:33:52 AM »
I SWEAR this happened.
 Got to my spot yesterday at daybreak.  Got all loaded up and started to make my way to my spot. 50yrds from my truck decided I should pee before I get to far into where I'm going. So I'm doing my thing and look up and what's looking at me @ 50yrds a 24" 4×4  with eye guards. As I'm trying to quickly stop the water works 3 more legal  bucks step out ( 4×3 ,  3×3 and a 3×2 ).  I go for the rifle slung over my shoulder , which I had the sling clipped in with the chest buckle of my backpack .  Needless to say after all the commotion the bucks had bound off never to be seen again. I zipped up and sat there in total disbelief.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:03:49 PM by huntandjeep »
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline MNguy33

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 07:37:36 PM »
I SWEAR this happened.
 Got to my spot yesterday at daybreak.  Got all loaded up and started to make my way to my spot. 50yrds from my truck decided I should pee before I get to far into where I'm going. So I'm doing my thing and look up and what's looking at me @ 50yrds a 24" 4×4  with eye guards. As I'm trying to quickly stop the water works 3 more legal  bucks step out ( 4×3 ,  3×3 and a 3×2 ).  I go for the rifle slung over my shoulder , which I had the sling clipped in with the chest buckle of my backpack .  Needless to say after all the commotion the bucks had bound off never to be seen again. I zipped up and sat there in total disbelief.

noooooooooo!!!!! oh man that sucks!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 08:18:59 PM »
Whether fishing or hunting, the action always starts once your trousers are around your knees!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 09:11:31 PM »
I SWEAR this happened.

Whats that old army saying.....One is for fighting, one is for fun......you had the wrong gun in your hand.  :chuckle:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Thefisherman83

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 06:24:01 PM »
Sunday morning I missed a nice buck in the bottom of a cut. Went down to make 100% sure it was a clean miss and after inspecting everything, I was sure. Was talking to my buddy about the plans for the rest of the morning hunt when a nice 3x4 stepped out, smoked him at 60yds. Worked out for the best.
Hunting and Fishing are not matters of life or death... THEY ARE WAY MORE IMPORTANT!!!

"Nothing Makes a fish bigger than almost being caught."

Poles are for skiing, Rods are for fishing!
Team Loomis!

Offline Old Man Yager

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 06:41:50 PM »
Wish I had the chance to miss a shot! Nothing to shoot at yet
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline youngbull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 06:44:50 PM »
Missed a giant saturday morning
Walked up behind me 10 yds stopped at 30 broadside 9am in the timber
Replayed it 200 times still trying to shake the buck fever
Blacktails drive me nuts
Good luck this week should be exciting

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 09:26:20 PM »
I hate to add my input to this thread.   Kitsap, firearm restricted area, started in the woods with no action for shy of three hours.  Moved out to the cut and glassed and warmed up in the sun.  The buck I'm hoping to see has suddenly appeared right in the middle of the cut - he must have just stood up.   Gorgeous wide big bodied forkie.   Sadly, 180 yards out and I've got a slug gun and it's pretty windy.  Pulled out the shooting stick and found I could hold on him pretty well.  Now or never....  Pulled the trigger, nothing!  Danged safety is still on, which was good because I flinched a bit.    Safety off this time, a couple of deep breaths, let it out slowly, BANG! Squeezed off a good shot that time.  Deer jumps straight up and out of view.  I'm thinking I hit him and grab the glass to see where he goes.  He must be down..... no, wait, he's about 25 feet away to his right and looking around, then he casually starts eating again.  Turns his ass end towards me and browses his way up the hill into a line that beyond him sits a couple houses.  All I could do was watch him and hope he came back my way.  No way I was taking a shot where he was.  I sadly watched him trot off towards his bedding area about 5 minutes later.   Jakeland said he needed another year or so.  I guess he's going to get it.

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]