collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Capitol Forest?  (Read 7854 times)

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
Re: Capitol Forest?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 08:32:42 AM »
Today would be a great day to be out there, storm is blowing in and some rain coming down here in Rochester. 

Grab some rain gear and go get'em!!!!

:hunter:
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 08:42:04 AM »
Today would be a great day to be out there, storm is blowing in and some rain coming down here in Rochester. 

Grab some rain gear and go get'em!!!!

:hunter:

If I had the opportunity I would be hunting today. 

Offline MrSmallington

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2017, 08:45:56 AM »
I Was praying for rain all last week... sure enough. beautiful sunny weekend...  :'(

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2017, 08:46:44 AM »
If it was me, and I only saw two sets of tracks, I'd move on a bit.  Walk inside the perimeter of the cuts at mid-day to see where the majority of tracks enter and exit the cuts.  Then set up so you can have some kind of view/shot on those areas, or as mentioned previously, hunt the thick stuff where the deer exit the cuts - likely the uphill side.  Those does that you saw should give you a pretty good indication where they're bedding, and where the bucks will be passing by once the rut gets going.   The does will likely move from those spots a bit and leave the kids at home while momma goes off to play.

BTW - IMHO - 3 AM is not a prime deer feeding time.  They are likely bedded someplace chewing their cuds.  Most of my trail cam activity over the years at night has been just around dark, 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM, and 5 AM until light.  Also, I agree that it may not be legal during the deer hunting season to use night vision glasses at night, even if you're not carrying a firearm.  Similar to the rule that states you can't hunt withing 24 hours of flying...(or something like that).

I have to get up to use the restroom between 02:00 and 03:30 every night so I take the opportunity to poke my head out with a flashlight and take a look at who is hanging around the camper and there are usually a few deer hanging around - sometimes real Jim dandy bucks too.  I have never seen one of these bucks out during the day though. 

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2017, 06:18:12 PM »
I grew up hunting Capitol Forest. Our family had a couple ranches on the Mox Chehalis Rd. We never hunted clearcuts when I was younger. Just hunted the timber. Our usual plan was to either still hunt or to make pushes/drives to one or two guys on stands. Our family was very successful at that, but it helped that my dad and uncles grew up there and spent their youth wandering the hills. They knew every canyon and ridge in the area and how the deer reacted when pushed this way or that. If one got away, they knew where to go next to likely find it.  They usually had a story about one or more deer that was shot in each of these locations too. Many times we'd hunt the woods along the Powerline with one or two people posted on the powerline to shoot anything that popped out. I still remember the local names for some of the places we'd hunt. Swede Shack (an old Swede had lived there in earlier times), Potato Patch Canyon, (A canyon where the Swede grew his potatoes) The Fern Patch (which had long since grown over), The Forty (A forty acre Plot of the family ranch, The Harris and Ganzell orchards (a couple old homestead orchards that were on the property our family bought up), Rocky Peak, Sand Creek, and more. I miss those old family hunts.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:22:02 PM by Sitka_Blacktail »
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2017, 08:27:21 PM »
Nice post.  Thanks for sharing Sitka Blacktail.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Piscatory_5

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2017, 08:36:31 PM »
Why was your "promising area" no good? If there's sign of deer in the area, I wouldn't change areas. The deer are there, they're just not out in the open except at night when it's dark. Deer will be more active as the weather gets colder/wetter and as the rut begins to kick in.

As for camping, it's only allowed in campgrounds. Some info here:

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/Capitol

I was up at 3am with night vision. have an area where there are two decent clear cuts one to my right one to my left. I saw two sets of tracks 3 weeks ago and decided to set up shop to see if anything travels by. at around 10am I got up and  made my way through the woods till 5 and then made way back to watch till sun down.  no life at all. curious if I'm too high? i passed about 6 does traveling into the forest real early to the point they were still walking across paved roads.  I know I have a 19% chance of success but not seeing life at all has me worried.

Here's a thought for you, try looking over 2 or 3 clearings in the morning before about 10-11 o'clock looking for the ones that are still active and feeding. Then find a goodsized clearing(different one) and sit and watch until about 3pm, be still. The ones that have laid down and rested will probably get up in that time frame to stretch their legs and grab a bite to eat. I've shot several bucks midday, more so in the last few years compared to 20 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 10:34:12 PM by bobcat »

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2017, 08:51:10 PM »
Boyd Iverson's books are still available at Amazon, lots of good info!
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 05:52:18 AM »
Boyd Iverson's books are still available at Amazon, lots of good info!

I buy four or five copies of Iverson's books every year for $5 or $6 at garage sales and junk shops.  But they are getting harder to come by.  I bet I have gifted 20 copies in the last six or seven years.  The info is the best, even if you are not after trophy size bucks. 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 08:17:57 AM by JDHasty »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab