collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: I failed as a uncle/mentor  (Read 4340 times)

Offline HardCorpsHuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Semper Fi
Re: I failed as a uncle/mentor
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 02:47:41 PM »
As the kids grow it's tough keeping up with their boot and clothing size.  I like to take them out hiking several weeks prior to hunting season to work out their kinks.   
"Fast is fine. Accuracy is final. You need to learn to shoot slow, real fast." -Wyatt Earp

Offline cavemann

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 03:11:36 PM »
My Dad had to outfit me and my two brothers along with himself for deer, elk, pheasant and duck hunting. We may have had clothes/boots that didn't fit and leaked water and binos that you might be better off using your bare eyes but he managed to get us all out in the field. My memories are the good times with my dad and brothers in the field and not the quality of equipment provided. You are doing a great job getting her out there, I know I've learned to appreciate what my dad sacrificed to introduce his boys to hunting and I'm sure she will appreciate her great uncle's efforts too. Great Job!

This post nailed it...  I have similar memories of wearing my moms stalkings since we didn't have long underwear..  Dad bought me boots at K-Mart that were 3 sizes too big with news paper in the toes so my older brother could wear them too and so I'd grow into them.  I still remember the price, $9.99 and that was the only thing he bought.  We just got by with what we had..  And my warm socks were Wonder Bread bags over my socks.  I still remember not sleeping every Friday night before opening day waiting for the 3am alarm.  You are doing fine man, I never cared or complained..  Was just thrilled to get out.  I'm sure she loves it if she is still going.

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 10:11:21 AM »
I appreciate the feedback guys and thanks for the offerings of helping with youth clothes. Only problem I have is she is not a youth anymore but a grown woman basically.5'10
Thanks again
If its brown knock it down

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 10:17:04 AM »
She looks happy to be with dad, she will remember that trip long after you are gone! That's the most important thing! Now find her some shoes!  :chuckle:  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 10:17:37 AM »
She looks happy to be with dad, she will remember that trip long after you are gone! That's the most important thing! Now find her some shoes!  :chuckle:  :twocents:

(She's with uncle)
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 10:36:22 AM »
My Dad had to outfit me and my two brothers along with himself for deer, elk, pheasant and duck hunting. We may have had clothes/boots that didn't fit and leaked water and binos that you might be better off using your bare eyes but he managed to get us all out in the field. My memories are the good times with my dad and brothers in the field and not the quality of equipment provided. You are doing a great job getting her out there, I know I've learned to appreciate what my dad sacrificed to introduce his boys to hunting and I'm sure she will appreciate her great uncle's efforts too. Great Job!

This post nailed it...  I have similar memories of wearing my moms stalkings since we didn't have long underwear..  Dad bought me boots at K-Mart that were 3 sizes too big with news paper in the toes so my older brother could wear them too and so I'd grow into them.  I still remember the price, $9.99 and that was the only thing he bought.  We just got by with what we had..  And my warm socks were Wonder Bread bags over my socks.  I still remember not sleeping every Friday night before opening day waiting for the 3am alarm.  You are doing fine man, I never cared or complained..  Was just thrilled to get out.  I'm sure she loves it if she is still going.

I buy kids gloves and cold weather clothing for pennies on the dollar in the summer, or when I see it on sale, and have a tub full of it.  I'm from Montana and can remember not having good gloves and wanting to be doing outdoor activities but my fingers were so cold I couldn't take it any longer.

Not to sidetrack this thread but Cabela's online Bargain Cave has $35 kids glomits and $50 gloves for $7 right now.   

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 12:08:18 PM »
You are a terrific mentor to take the time to teach her right. The clothing issue can be solved very easily. As you said she is a grown woman now.  She should be able to buy some boots that fit her well. Check local thrift stores for used hunting gear and Craigslist as well. I buy a lot of gear from the Army surplus stores,  Wal-Mart, Sportsmanship Warehouse, and local thrift stores myself. If she buys some of her own gear she will learn to value and take care of it as well.
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2017, 12:45:37 PM »
Ross
 What size boots does she wear?
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2017, 04:51:07 PM »
you are doing a great job with her, I guarantee she will remember the trips you take her on long after your gone. and not because her boots are to small. wish my dad or uncle would have taking me hunting when I was growing up.

Offline Bearhunter

• Go in Lite come out Heavy!
  • Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 09:01:50 AM »
After all the hunting trips I have been blessed to partake in over the years, still the ones that stand out the most to me are the ones from my childhood.  My brother and I never had good gear or glass or boots that fit properly and Im thankfull for that, theirs no reason to spend that type of money on kids that are hard on equipment, growing, loose things and just plan old irresponsible lol.  It also installed work ethic in us, as after the season would end we would spend all year drooling over the Cabelas, Bass Pro and Gander Mountain catalogs and dream of having all the great gear out there, so we would work save money and buy the stuff eventually we wanted by working hard for it, just another great life lesson that the outdoors has taught us. 

The greatest thing I remember from those early years is the selflessness that my father, grandfather and uncles showed for us by taking us to the woods and teaching us how to set camps, build fires, cook, read the terrain, identify travel corridors, spot game, process game and to slow down while hunting...  These are the things that you are instilling in your Niece and probably dont even realize it as that is what we do as men and dont think twice about it....  So many times I feel that I am failing as a father and not teaching them or providing for them the right way.  Then I take a step back and reflect on my childhood and how Im trying to raise my boys in the same manner and then see other kids out there that dont get to experience the outdoors or have fathers or mentors as we did and I realize I am doing it right and providing everything they need and raising them the way I should and know how to!  Trek on my friend you are a true mentor and she will be better for it!
Go in Lite come out Heavy!

Offline rosscrazyelk

• BMM
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 09:58:32 AM »
Ross
 What size boots does she wear?
She wears a 10
If its brown knock it down

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 11:06:31 AM »
Pm sent
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter