collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Whitetail doe suggestions for my two kids in area 1010, 145 or 149.  (Read 1667 times)

Offline BassHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
I'm taking my daughter and son hunting for their first time this coming weekend.  I would appreciate any suggestions (state land or private) where I could possibly put them on some whitetail does. 

I'll be camped at the Tucannon so any spot within an hour would be ideal.  Areas 1010, 145, 149, and 172 are all open for youth whitetail does.

Some areas are better for shorter shots and setting the kids up on a stand.  I really want to increase the odds that their first shots/experience are clean.

Feel free to PM me.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
Re: Whitetail doe suggestions for my two kids in area 1010, 145 or 149.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 04:52:59 PM »
I'd stick to unit 124 for youth doe hunts and get a family Inland Empire Paper pass.
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline BassHunter

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 05:19:20 PM »
Thank you for the advice!  A great option normally.

One of my kids has a permit for an any doe down by the Tucannon (163 etc...) so we need to be in that general area next weekend.  I feel great about filling that tag as I know that area well.  It is a great "first tag" opportunity.  I'm excited to see her try and fill it. 

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 02:21:53 AM »
Best of luck to you and I hope all goes as planned.
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline BassHunter

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 12:52:12 PM »
Here is the story.

My oldest daughter has tried bow hunting for a few years with no luck.  We never felt good trying a shot....as a rifle hunter I wasn't the greatest mentor and we saw lots of deer......but almost all were over forty yards. 

Her very first day of archery hunting three years ago we had one big buck come very close (named Big Buck Chuck by my daughter) but he wouldn't stop so she could shoot..... 

We took a nap by a log that same afternoon.  When we woke-up a doe had bedded down near us.....no clue when the doe came over or if she knew we were there initially.  We waited forever...it seemed like....for that doe to stand up.  About thirty minutes into waiting she was named "Lady" by my daughter.  I knew the doe was safe as soon as she was given a name.  We walked away without taking a shot and the doe acted like we were a non-threat, which we were by that time.  She hunted with a bow the next couple of years with no good opportunities so she said she wanted to try modern.  It is ironic that her best bow opportunities were on her first day hunting.

I was hunting this weekend with all three kids.  My son is too young so he was along for the ride.  I quickly learned that my organizational skills are lacking with three kids in tow.  We were in a state of chaos the entire weekend.  My dad agreed to keep my son in the truck while I took my two daughters on a little push.  (My son's  jumping on logs and climbing trees wasn't helping my daughters.  LOL) We followed a nice game trail until we found a group of does 162 yards out.  My daughter took her time and dropped the doe instantly with her first shot.  Thank goodness for the well placed stump that she used as a rest for the gun.  It gave her the stability she needs.  I definitely have two girls that love hunting.  Very cool. 

Online Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 01:57:04 PM »
Awesome job, taking my two nine year olds out I can relate to the chaos, I will probably be headed east in a few weeks to try and get them on a whitetail or two. 

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 03:48:25 PM »
fantastic!!!

Offline BassHunter

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 06:27:34 PM »
Thanks and good luck!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal