collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need some blacktail advice and motivation  (Read 3214 times)

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
Re: Need some blacktail advice and motivation
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 09:42:04 PM »
Keep tabs on what deer like to do during different types of weather.  For example:

Real windy--are they laying on the edge of the cut with the trees acting as the wind block.  Are they in the cut with using the hill as the block?
Cold and sunny--are they in a dry spot in the middle of a clear cut in a sunbeam?
Cool and sunny--do they start moving once the sun is lower?

Offline pope

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 05:19:53 AM »
After 8 years of hunting blacktails, I remember seeing only one or two bucks out in a clearcut during modern season. After a very cold, clear night, it may be worth looking at east-facing cuts protected from wind. In November, if you see a doe or two in a clearcut, keep glassing. I've had two opportunities at big blacktail bucks. One came during late buck while driving down a highway and noticing a doe in a clearcut. Due to work schedules, we were on the way home at maybe 11 a.m. We pulled over and noticed a second doe, and further inspection revealed a stud buck soaking up some morning sunlight. Long story, but I missed.

I was introduced to an accomplished hunter. His garage and home were full of antlers of all varieties of deer and elk, including mature blacktails. As a novice hunter, I asked him for advice, to which he replied, "Not one of these deer was killed in a clearcut. They are in the woods."

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 05:49:05 AM »
Advise, unless you want to kill spikes, forkies or small 2x3's, quit hunting blacktails now!!  The big ones are evil, invisible and don't play by the rules!  If you want to poach you can kill big blacktails every year, at least that's how I see it. You guys that legally kill big blacktails every year, don't take me seriously. I've hunted the grey ghost for 30 years, killed one that scored 117".  I think I'm a decent hunter, but (big) blacktails make me feel like a toddler learning to walk.  Motivation, there's always a lucky sumbeech that stumbles on the one dumb pig blacktail in the woods, you have to be there to be that guy!!

Don't matter where ya' find em either.  Some people think island blacktails are easy.  Dumb ones are easy, but mature blacktail bucks don't get ta be mature blacktail bucks by standing along the road daring some jacklighter to shoot them.  In a lot of ways mature blacktail bucks that live in close proximity to people are even tougher nuts to crack than those found where people are not. 

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 08:26:42 AM »
Agree with most of the posts above. Some really good advice there.

On the traipsing through clearcuts idea; with time you will realize you need to have a good reason to do that. Is there a really nice vantage point that you can get to without beeing seen/heard by everything around?Is the cut thick enough to make it worth still hunting?

I tend to see more deer closer by looking thoroughly before even going near a clearcut in daylight. Glass the road going in. Look everywhere you can before you even step out. I have trouble sitting also, but I've blown out a lot of deer by not being careful and looking first. A bedded deer may see you and try to wait you out, but if they're not bedded 99% will bolt or sneak off when the see you. :twocents:

I agree with all of this

Offline MrSmallington

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 11:12:25 AM »

Ever think there are folks diving into this without having mentors or guides? I never grew up hunting but have had a passion for it since moving to and from colorado. all i do is read about it and scout.  this is my third year and i feel all i do is ask, but how else does one learn?  i hunt solo and all i meet are road hunters who don't seem to ever want to leave their car.  I honestly love seeing these threads because there is so much info and so many positive feed back and cool stories.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:41:03 AM by jackelope »

Offline DaveMonti

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 11:43:13 AM »
Regarding Blacktails, just listen to Jakeland. 

Regarding bears, just google "Black Bear Attacks" and you will see how very infrequent they are, especially considering the number of people here in WA that are in the woods all year long, from hikers and hunters.  No reason to worry, just be aware. 

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 02:30:28 PM »
...but just in case, carrying a sidearm is a great solution to dealing with an attacking bear issue.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by ghosthunter
[Today at 08:55:30 PM]

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]