collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Firewood permit question  (Read 4037 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Firewood permit question
« on: October 19, 2017, 07:23:35 AM »
Do I need a firewood permit if I am only cutting wood for use in my elk camp?  I will probably be driving past the ranger station before it opens, so I won't be able to ask them and the research I did online suggest that if I only take downed wood and don't remove the wood from the forest then I don't need a permit?

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Firewood permit question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 07:40:02 AM »
No.

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 08:14:49 AM »
We burn 5-10 cords every year in elk camp..  no permit needed,  if you plan on taking wood home then you would need a permit.. 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 08:31:17 AM »
I cut wood with a permit before camp as I knew I wouldn’t have normal camp prep time.  I then took it to camp from home.   After the season was done,  I was bringing the rest home.  I got pulled over by one of the Naches districts finest.  Lights and all.   He made me toss it even though I had the permit still with me and no saw.  He was a real .........
I even invited him to my home to see the pile I removed it from.   He made me unload all of it.   It was gone in minutes.   

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 08:35:20 AM »
We burn 5-10 cords every year in elk camp..  no permit needed,  if you plan on taking wood home then you would need a permit..

I wouldn't recommend bringing left overs home not only did the season close last Saturday, the LEO has been pulling people over with wood in the back of their trucks. He had two trucks stopped last Sunday full of wood entrance to little naches. Pretty hefty ticket and he doesn't give breaks like the last one sometimes did.

Offline rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 08:41:46 AM »
We never bring any home.   I got 126 acres of all the wood I could ever need in Oregon.
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

The Whiners suck!!

Offline rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 08:45:54 AM »
I cut wood with a permit before camp as I knew I wouldn’t have normal camp prep time.  I then took it to camp from home.   After the season was done,  I was bringing the rest home.  I got pulled over by one of the Naches districts finest.  Lights and all.   He made me toss it even though I had the permit still with me and no saw.  He was a real .........
I even invited him to my home to see the pile I removed it from.   He made me unload all of it.   It was gone in minutes.   

Few years back I caught two forest service guys on off duty time in private trucks. During non wood cutting time gathering left over wood from camps that had left wood!  I knew exactly who they were from spending so much time in the unit.  I called them out on it.  " do as I say not as I do" should be their motto.. 

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:51:24 AM »
What's non wood cutting time?  Somehow, all I want to do is cut a few pieces of wood tomorrow for the tent stove and once again I'm scratching my head trying to figure out all the rules that associate with the most simple of tasks.

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 08:54:51 AM »
What's non wood cutting time?  Somehow, all I want to do is cut a few pieces of wood tomorrow for the tent stove and once again I'm scratching my head trying to figure out all the rules that associate with the most simple of tasks.

Good to go anytime of the year for camping. Sorry about the confusion :chuckle:.

For taking wood home. It's a May 1- 1st weekend in October season in which you need a permit for. Season's closed on that end.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 09:14:33 AM »
Yep, that was the standoff.   "Post firewood season and no one brings wood from home."    Circumstances the way they were I did and had both punched and unpunched permits with me to prove I had gotten and had paid for wood.  Fighting with an LEO even if you are right isn't worth it.  He was a real ambassador to the profession. 

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 09:35:55 AM »
Yep, that was the standoff.   "Post firewood season and no one brings wood from home."    Circumstances the way they were I did and had both punched and unpunched permits with me to prove I had gotten and had paid for wood.  Fighting with an LEO even if you are right isn't worth it.  He was a real ambassador to the profession.
Why do I have the feeling that it to you a minute to decide on how to finish that last sentence?
 :chuckle:
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 09:38:46 AM »
You are a 100 percent spot on. Lol

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 11:07:28 AM »
Good to know, thanks for the heads up.  I'll be sure to sweep every last sliver out of the truck bed before I head home.  I'm sure I can find someone coming in for modern elk that could use any leftover.

Offline rtspring

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 11:23:29 AM »
Good to know, thanks for the heads up.  I'll be sure to sweep every last sliver out of the truck bed before I head home.  I'm sure I can find someone coming in for modern elk that could use any leftover.

Stop by my camp, feel free to grab some wood for your camp!  You know where camp is.  We got 12 saws between 5 guys!  Its really seasoned lodgepole and tamarack

The Whiners suck!!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 11:26:08 AM »

Stop by my camp, feel free to grab some wood for your camp!  You know where camp is.  We got 12 saws between 5 guys!  Its really seasoned lodgepole and tamarack

Thanks, I might take you up on that.  Not having to bring the saw and gear would be nice.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Today at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Today at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Today at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Today at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Today at 09:12:44 PM]