collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Curious. Who Packs a Handgun While Hunting?  (Read 17349 times)

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Curious. Who Packs a Handgun While Hunting?
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2017, 06:59:16 AM »
Interesting comments.  I pack but I would only use it as a last resort against people.  Any thing else is all ways up for a look up in the regs.   I fish a lot and when people are fishing for salmon or steelhead some become like elk hunters.  They loose they minds.  I have seen more fights on the river than any place else.  I just grab my stuff and back out.  No fish, elk or deer is worth me taking a human life.  But if I feel myself or my family is in danger beyond retreating than that decision will have to me made.  It takes someone really special to go after someone who is already retreating. 
275 down 2

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2017, 11:06:57 AM »
I only carry handgun in the woods when I'm not packing a rifle. Don't need the extra weight if I have rifle.
x2

My Beretta Nano goes with me everywhere, unless I'm carrying a bigger gun ;).

Offline love2archeryhunt

• Tracker
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2017, 12:13:02 PM »
Every. Single. Day.

Offline MonstroMuley

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2017, 01:07:38 PM »
Never have... but after reading this thread and learning there are clowns in the woods ... will start!    :DOH:
"Everyone has a Gut Pile..." - "The Nuge" (TN)

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2017, 01:13:06 PM »
Usually only when going back in on a kill site it big brownie country.

I would for sure carry a sidearm in that situation; in addition to bear spray. 

Let's just say I'm not complaining about the absence of grizzlies in the central cascades :).

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2017, 02:44:12 PM »
I used to never carry in woods while hunting.  Tell my buddy told me of a story that happened to him and his wife. After that I pack when wife and kids are with me or I’m out solo.  Mainly for the crazy a$$ two legged animals.
I almost always have a firearm in the woods, I don't always carry a handgun if I have a long gun.  I'm more concerned with being armed when I come back to the trail head than when I'm in the woods - but - I have been within a hair of shooting a belligerent moose with a handgun.  In the rare instance I have a problem with a wild carnivore, I'm armed; and it's a good tool if I get lost or injured for signaling too.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2017, 02:56:20 PM »
I thought you could carry a sidearm for any outdoor activity for protection. but I could be wrong..
(a) It is unlawful for any person to carry or have in his possession any firearm while archery hunting in the field during an archery season specified for that area, except for modern handguns carried for personal protection. Modern handguns cannot be used to hunt big game or dispatch wounded big game during an archery big game hunting season
So this is a bit tricky  since bear and cougar season overlap with archery.
Does this mean that I cannot hunt bear with rifle in archery elk or deer. I saw a couple of nice bear during elk season. Would I need to leave my bow at camp and head out for bear with rifle or pistol during archery deer or elk?
And to answer the original thread., I carry my 9mm S&W.
As I interpret this language, it would not be legal to shoot a bear or cougar with your handgun while archery hunting, unless in self defense.  If that situation arose, you would have to call it in to F&W LE as a defensive shooting, it would be the responding LEO's discretion whether you are permitted to tag and take possession of it. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline rudedawg1085

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2017, 03:08:18 PM »
Has anyone every used their handgun while out in the brush?, I almost did on a beaver while fly fishing last year. Weird how aggressive they can get. I'm assuming I was standing on top of his dam/home and didn't realize it.
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

Thomas Edison

Offline MrSmallington

• Tracker
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2017, 03:53:31 PM »
FNS-9C on my side at all times.... or my 38. snubby. When its not on my side its in my brief case at work. 17 hollow point rounds should slow down a cougar/bear and sure as hell denture any thief... ive been robbed at gun point... never again. as for small game?

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2017, 05:06:08 PM »
Has anyone every used their handgun while out in the brush?, I almost did on a beaver while fly fishing last year. Weird how aggressive they can get. I'm assuming I was standing on top of his dam/home and didn't realize it.
I've shot grouse, bunnies and one coyote with my handgun while in the field.

Offline Old Man Yager

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2017, 05:52:58 PM »
Always, even if I have my rifle. Shoot I even carry it when I'm fishing, cause people are idiots
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2017, 05:55:13 PM »
I thought you could carry a sidearm for any outdoor activity for protection. but I could be wrong..
(a) It is unlawful for any person to carry or have in his possession any firearm while archery hunting in the field during an archery season specified for that area, except for modern handguns carried for personal protection. Modern handguns cannot be used to hunt big game or dispatch wounded big game during an archery big game hunting season
Does this mean that I cannot hunt bear with rifle in archery elk or deer. I saw a couple of nice bear during elk season. Would I need to leave my bow at camp and head out for bear with rifle or pistol during archery deer or elk?
As I interpret this language, it would not be legal to shoot a bear or cougar with your handgun while archery hunting, unless in self defense.  If that situation arose, you would have to call it in to F&W LE as a defensive shooting, it would be the responding LEO's discretion whether you are permitted to tag and take possession of it.

I know this one.

Bear and cougar are legal with ANY LEGAL WEAPON.  You do not buy a weapon specific tag so any legal weapon is totally legal.

I started hunting bear and this really confused me.  People on huntwa assured me I could rifle/handgun hunt bear during deer elk archery.  Conversations with wdfw officials confirmed this for me.

I am way less worried about legal weapons than I am property boundaries and feel free vs written permission vs all the other crazy stuff.

Offline pygmy1985

• Hunter
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2017, 03:44:30 PM »

I know this one.

Bear and cougar are legal with ANY LEGAL WEAPON.  You do not buy a weapon specific tag so any legal weapon is totally legal.

I started hunting bear and this really confused me.  People on huntwa assured me I could rifle/handgun hunt bear during deer elk archery.  Conversations with wdfw officials confirmed this for me.

I am way less worried about legal weapons than I am property boundaries and feel free vs written permission vs all the other crazy stuff.
So, if I have an archery elk tag , during archery season, you're saying that I can carry rifle or pistol for bear or cougar and not be violating law?

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2017, 04:26:44 PM »

I know this one.

So, if I have an archery elk tag , during archery season, you're saying that I can carry rifle or pistol for bear or cougar and not be violating law?
It is absolutely legal to hunt bear or cougar with a firearm or any other legal weapon during the entire open season.  However, if you are archery hunting in the field for deer or elk during archery season for those species, you can't legally harvest big game, including bear or cougar, with your handgun.  If you are archery hunting in the field for deer or elk during archery season for those species, you cannot carry a rifle.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2017, 04:49:21 PM »
I today's world, your taking a risk if you leave your home unarmed.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]