collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Curious. Who Packs a Handgun While Hunting?  (Read 17359 times)

Offline bhawley76

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Curious. Who Packs a Handgun While Hunting?
« Reply #105 on: November 03, 2017, 08:01:46 AM »
I go nowhere without a pistol. No I'm not paranoid but, I would much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Offline JohnVH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2017, 08:08:20 AM »
I go nowhere without a pistol. No I'm not paranoid but, I would much rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

bingo   :yeah:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2017, 08:15:21 AM »
curious---who doesn't ?
Several people posted they don't.
i'm sure they have but what is there reason for not doing it ?  until i hear a credible reason for not carrying a handgun while hunting all i see are individuals that are limited to defend themselves from either 4 legged  or 2 legged preadators

My reason, which I believe many others stated as well, is just the extra weight was something I don't want to carry. When I've  already got a rifle I don't feel the need for a second gun. I have enough other things to carry as it is- binoculars, rangefinder, cell phone, GPS, etc. Plenty of stuff and I just don't need one more thing that I most likely will never have a use for.
hey if you're that old and decrepid enough to where carrying an extra 2 lbs is gonna stop you from either hunting or packing out an animal that you have shot than i'm glad i know it now rather than when we are in camp together...i've got an idea...how about leaving your cell phone in camp and packing a sidearm so i'm almost guaranteed about getting back safely rather than you being able to post your hunt/pics via face time or what ever the hell they use these days...its almost like the person who posts it quickest on social media wins...if you are that worried about packing a sidearm that weighs a couple pounds is gonna slow you down then thankfully you have never felt the need to use it-until you do

I have much higher odds of needing crutches or a splint to get back to the vehicle because I twisted my ankle in the rocks than I do needing a pistol most of the time. And when I'm rifle hunting, 99.9% of the time I'm carrying a single shot rifle. Oh the horror.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Big6bull

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #108 on: November 03, 2017, 08:17:10 AM »
I will always carry while bow hunting. After shooting a big bear this year during the shot my rest did not drop. As I shot it broke the prongs. ( never had this happen, even shot a dozen times the night before) thankfully the bear was close enough to still have a lethal shot. But let me tell you this blood trailing a big bear with no way to make a follow up shot in thick brush was not fun. I guess my point is I will carry because of the crazy unthinkable events that can happen. You don’t know when a curve ball will come your way.

Offline IslandStorm62

• Tracker
« Reply #109 on: December 17, 2017, 09:11:51 AM »
Used to carry  .357 MAG dual purpose (Self Defense and Defense Against Critters).  Then I met and old guy at Cabelas while I was looking into a .22 Buckmark and during the conversation this very wise gentleman told me he always carries his .22 Ruger for those times when he comes across a grouse...there's dinner at camp.  Well, needless to say I thought about it and now I carry my .22 Buckmark and, as a matter of fact, got a grouse this season  :IBCOOL:.  And it was delicious.

So, after thinking about it, why would I need a sidearm :dunno:.  My rifle should be able to provide adequate Self Defense / Deterrent and Defense Against critters.  And, my current sidearm "BUCKMARK" provide an alternative outdoor treat.

And yes, I have always had a combo license 8).

Side note...stop striping the breast meat out and tossing the rest.  Leg, thigh, scapula, heart, liver, gizzard, and yes the neck are all good eats (think Cornish Hen) :twocents:.

Offline beav1980

• Hunter
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2017, 09:41:07 AM »
GP 100 357 mag

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2017, 01:39:40 PM »
I wonder what some guys did before it was legal to pack a handgun while bowhunting or ML hunting?  It hasn't been that long that it's been legal to pack a handgun while archery or muzzleloader hunting.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2017, 01:42:20 PM »
I wonder what some guys did before it was legal to pack a handgun while bowhunting or ML hunting?  It hasn't been that long that it's been legal to pack a handgun while archery or muzzleloader hunting.
Only a handful survived to tell their stories.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2017, 01:43:27 PM »
 :chuckle:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline aldal

• Pilgrim
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2017, 01:51:54 PM »
 I bowhunt, and yes I do carry a handgun. A Ruger 357.  I MIGHT have carried before they passed a law that said we could. Also carry when I hunt ducks & upland.

Aldal

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2017, 01:57:49 PM »
For muzzy you could carry a muzzy pistol as long as it met the regs. 

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2017, 02:10:15 PM »
For muzzy you could carry a muzzy pistol as long as it met the regs.

Yeah.  I never did back then and I still don't.  Just never felt like I needed a sidearm.  :dunno:

I did pack my .357 S&W when I hunted the Bob Marshall almost 30 yrs ago.  I did decide it was extra weight that just wasn't necessary though.  I can't remember packing it around on other occasions.  It might have a little bit to do with the law not allowing it in this state, so I just got used to not being able to take it?
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2017, 06:12:03 PM »
Always felt comfortable with a 5 round internal mag. This BAR with a 3 rd box mag and not being super easy to load singles is giving me second thoughts on backup tho

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]