collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hirshey's Washington Hunts 2017  (Read 13718 times)

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: Hirshey's Washington Hunts 2017
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2017, 05:19:19 PM »
Nice!
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline hirshey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2017, 05:19:59 PM »
I grabbed my camera as well as my InReach; I was conflicted... my fella and friend had struggled all night to get Derrick's deer back to base camp... should I really take advantage of my position of still being at elevation to put a stalk on this animal? He sure was nice, but should I even be considering taking it? Jeff has always gone above and beyond to make everyone's hunting experience positive... should I take photos and wait for him to arrive tomorrow before we put a stalk on this guy???

"I found a really nice buck. #)(*$!" is what I wrote on the InReach.

No reply... guess this decision was up to me!
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2017, 05:24:53 PM »
I decided it couldn't hurt to try to put a stalk on him. My rangefinder read just under 500 yards;I prefer shots under 150, so I definitely had some work ahead of me. This buck was in a very defensible position: I could try to gain the remainder of the mountain and attempt a stalk from above, or I could attempt to move slowly through the burned timber basin in hopes of a small window for a shot. I went with my gut, and tried my luck at the timber route.
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2017, 05:27:44 PM »
For the first 80 yards of my stalk, I was able to put a small green tree between me and the buck. After this juncture, there was nothing but burn scar between us, and I started losing elevation. I noted a triple-top tree was next to his bed, and tried to keep my eye on it as I was engulfed by a sea of standing dead trees.

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2017, 05:30:15 PM »
Slowly, painstakingly, I worked closer and closer. I estimated I was about 130 yards, although this buck was very difficult to see. Two trees marked my intended destination: "X" marked the spot... a location where I should be able to see the base of that triple-top tree, and a perfect natural gun rest, but I wasn't to arrive there. A few more steps forward and I heard the exhalation most hunters dread: that darned doe huff!

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2017, 05:31:41 PM »
My buck blossomed from the ground, offering a perfect broadside look as he tried to figure out why the doe was so distressed. I moved left and right, trying to slowly find a tree I could rest against that still offered a shot at the vitals.

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2017, 05:37:13 PM »
I finally selected one; a tree that leaned away from me that I could rest my rifle against, and cradle with my hand underneath. I put the buck in my crosshairs and took the safety off, looking one more time at the headgear before moving my finger to the trigger. My finger did not make the trip, though, because the safety went back on: there were TWO sets of antlers on my deer!  :yike:

A smaller 4 point cleared my deer, and I kept my intended target in my scope. I flicked off the safety and squeezed the trigger as I exhaled. My heart was pounding, and apparently my body was starved of oxygen; as I settled into the shot partially through my breath I gasped... right as the gun recoiled. I had shot above my beautiful buck!  :yike: :bdid:

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2017, 05:41:20 PM »
I shook it off, and thanked my lucky stars that these particular bucks are not those that exist in the pumpkin patch: he had obviously never heard a gunshot before because he did not move an inch. I cycled another shell into the chamber, regathered my target and shot again. This time, the recoil of the gun coincided with the reaction of the animal. He dropped; no delay in death, no movement left in his body. I stayed put with the animal in my scope, wondering at him for a few moments before I decided he was not to move again. Just as I was satisfied with my view, an even bigger buck stepped through my sight picture and followed the smaller 4x4 out of sight. Wow! How cool to know Mr. Big is still up there to seek out! I walked back to my pack and took this quick photo before feverishly hiking back to my buck. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 08:26:28 PM by hirshey »

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2017, 05:41:49 PM »
 :yike:

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2017, 05:42:46 PM »
 :)

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2017, 05:47:07 PM »
I pulled him back up onto his bed to take some photos and marvel at his beauty. How grateful I felt to be able to see him up close, and to be nourished the remainder of the year by the free-range, organic protein. I pulled out my InReach as my evening plan formed in my head. I was going to pull him down 1,800 feet in elevation to a reasonable path back to spike camp. I knew I risked ruining the cape, and I do LOVE nothing more than to use and cherish every part of the animal, but it seemed like the right decision for a buck I had harvested late in the day, and solo. I typed a message to Derrick and Jeff, letting them know of my success.

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2017, 05:48:50 PM »
 :o

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2017, 05:52:16 PM »
 :)

Online Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2017, 05:53:25 PM »
You sure know how to get it done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline savagehunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Longhunter