collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hirshey's Washington Hunts 2017  (Read 13719 times)

Offline hirshey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Hirshey's Washington Hunts 2017
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2017, 05:57:40 PM »
I packed back up after a few photos and started losing elevation with my deer; playing the game of keeping momentum but not losing my prize down the hillside without supervision... that sounded like a good way to damage his cape and/or antlers, which was the last thing I wanted. I successfully navigated us down in elevation and dropped my pack again to start boning him out. I checked the InReach: "heck yeah! we are coming back up! Need anything from spike camp?" "We are almost to spike camp, you better keep that thing whole for photos!" "we are leaving spike camp! on our way!"

Oops, he was half skinned out when I got that message, but I couldn't be more excited to share this experience with my wonderful man and my best pal. I could hear their voices echo through the basin as they made their approach.
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2017, 05:59:28 PM »
 :)

And look who slogged 6,000 feet back up to share in my excitement at last light!

(they were coming back anyways, but still)  :chuckle:
I am not opposed to golf, for I suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering deer.

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2017, 06:01:18 PM »
We got my deer back to camp, and Jeff and Derrick told me of their difficult journey the day prior. They were incredibly sore, so we decided we would just make a slow, easy approach on the hillsides the next day in search of a deer for Jeff.

Offline andr3wxmma

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2017, 06:02:31 PM »
Congrats, hard work paid off with beautiful buck  :tup:

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2017, 06:02:54 PM »
(Paul's deer... a VERY nice one as well. He didn't stick around for a TON of photos and I forgot to insert this where it was appropriate in the story)

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2017, 06:11:39 PM »
The next morning started with double mochas... via the JetBoil, hot cocoa, and Via coffee packets. We started up a similar path as the one I chose the day prior, but diverted from my trek where my small ridgeline flattened out. Instead of contouring right, we headed left. The terrain started flattening out into a broad bench littered with deer beds and fresh sign. A large set of buck tracks chose a path downhill. We worked over to an open saddle where we took off packs and grabbed a bite to eat. I advised that the big buck that had been with mine would most likely be up the hillside still, but that the small drainage we were partially overlooking also looked good. We agreed that Derrick and I would stay put while Jeff surveyed the drainage. Upon satisfaction that there wasn't anything in there he wanted, he'd pick us back up to continue upslope.

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2017, 06:19:47 PM »
Derrick and I were staying close and keeping out of the wind and enjoying some snacks when he mentioned he wouldn't mind if Jeff harvested one downhill rather than uphill. The return comment wasn't from me, however... it was from the barrel of Jeff's rifle. "YES!" Derrick exclaimed. We started grabbing packs and getting ready to move as soon as we received word.

"I'm having a great time!" was the InReach message that arrived... one of Jeff's quick messages.
We started hiking towards it as other messages popped up: "BBD!" "Yeah!"

We started losing elevation quickly, as I fretted about the potential elevation we would have to gain to get back to spike camp, but as we arrived at Jeff's location, it would work out to be a perfect contour back to spike camp. We were all excited for his harvest, and grateful for an easy trek back to camp for the night. Jeff had bumped a bachelor group of 3, and intercepted them again on a small terrain feature. He, too, harvested the second largest in the group, giving us a lot of excitement to dream about our future years in this area.

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2017, 06:20:57 PM »
Getting the boned up buck packed and ready for camp....

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2017, 06:23:09 PM »
We arrived that evening, with Derrick and Jeff both in agreement; we should make 2 trips to get our 2 deer and spike camp back out of the wilderness. I was of the other mindset: we should get the deer and camp out in one brutal haul to beat out the impending snowstorm. They thought there was no way, but we decided to discuss it again in the morning.

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2017, 06:38:29 PM »
In the end... my idea won out.  :chuckle: for better or worse.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 06:46:15 PM by hirshey »

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #55 on: October 21, 2017, 06:40:21 PM »
Despite the high winds and rain up high, we made it down to calm weather and sunny skies. The deer are all cut and wrapped, and the skulls are at my European guy. :)

Thankful for another season of fantastic memories with the best hunting team a girl could hope for... now for Idaho!

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2017, 06:44:30 PM »
 :) :)

Also, has anyone NOT tried making osso buco with their venison shanks?? Jeff changed my entire opinion of shanks last year when he introduced me... I used to put my shanks directly into the pepperoni stick/processing pile... now they are coveted!

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2017, 06:45:44 PM »
Wonderful story.  You are one tough lady!  Congratulations on your success and thank you for your firefighting services.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline willapawapiti

• Scout
  • IAFF Local 2776
« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2017, 07:15:13 PM »
Dang you can tell a hunting story like no other young lady!! :tup: Congrats on an amazing season for you and your team!

Offline hirshey

• Sourdough
« Reply #59 on: October 21, 2017, 08:12:14 PM »
Wonderful story.  You are one tough lady!  Congratulations on your success and thank you for your firefighting services.

Thanks kindly! As for the fire services, it's my job.. and I love it; thanks for supporting my profession!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal