collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking to get into hunting!  (Read 1791 times)

Offline Zbobafett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Looking to get into hunting!
« on: October 21, 2017, 03:18:29 PM »
Hey guys and gals, I’m moving to mount Vernon in the next probably 4-5 months and am looking to get into small game hunting. Never been hunting before, and am looking for some pointers. Eventually want to get into bow hunting larger game, but figured small game would be a good start. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Offline Kit Carson

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, WSTA, NTA
Re: Looking to get into hunting!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 10:04:45 PM »
I started hunting a few years ago. If I were you I would find some public land (preferably where it looks like not a lot of other people are also going) and just start finding animal sign (tracks, scat, trails, etc) and then get to know that area as well as you can. Maybe put some trail cams up...eventually find animals and once you have small game license and bow/rifle in hand you are set.
Trapping will also get you out there and will get you learning to find animal sign fast. I started trapping and it helped me find sign. Good luck!  :tup:

Which critters are you most interested in hunting?

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 07:16:21 AM »
Find a local with livestock that needs predator/damage control, do what you are told and you should get experience and help.  If you respectful, available and tenacious you will be very busy.

Offline Zbobafett

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 11:19:38 AM »
I started hunting a few years ago. If I were you I would find some public land (preferably where it looks like not a lot of other people are also going) and just start finding animal sign (tracks, scat, trails, etc) and then get to know that area as well as you can. Maybe put some trail cams up...eventually find animals and once you have small game license and bow/rifle in hand you are set.
Trapping will also get you out there and will get you learning to find animal sign fast. I started trapping and it helped me find sign. Good luck!  :tup:

Which critters are you most interested in hunting?

Actually not 100% sure what I’m wanting to get into yet, just figured I should start a little smaller than an elk to begin with.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 06:22:46 AM »
Start with deer. That's small enough. Get a bow and become proficient at shooting it now and you'll be dialed in for next year. Meet some forum members who live nearby and you might find a partner who'll save you some leg work finding critters. It wouldn't hurt to take one of the WDFW seminars on deer hunting, turkey hunting, whatever.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 01:14:47 PM »
 :) You do not even need the bow to start!! walk where you live, any place you can, look for sign, tracks, animals. Watch the wind, read about game animals, read about guns and go somewhere to handle them or shoot if you can, Or Bows  :chuckle: try to sneak up on animals/humans, walk quietly, there are a million things to know and practice.
study maps.
have fun
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Cab

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 08:51:42 AM »
couple tips I have,

Go buy Steven Rinella's books " The Complete Guide to Hunting,Butchering and Cooking" Vol 1 is Big game and Vol 2 is Small game/birds. This will seriously save you TONS OF HOURS of reading blogs, forums and website articles. It breaks EVERYTHING down and honestly for less then $20 per book its some of the best money you can spend. His show Meateater is also a fantastic source of info and check out their Youtube channel it has a BUNCH of 2-3mins videos on hunting gear and tips.

Weapons: Honestly one of the most versatile weapons heads down in hunting and easiest to learn is shotguns. Great for bird hunting, small game, and deer(12ga can even work for elk). If you're new to shooting I would recommend a 20ga shotgun first before a 12ga. Honestly I use my 20ga for bird hunting, turkey hunting and deer hunting and the ammo in general is fairly cheap. Cheaper ammo means you can spend more time practicing. I'm a die hard bow hunter but honestly the fundamentals I learned about hunting all came from hunting grouse with a 20ga.

Before killing an elk and having to gut and move hundreds of pounds of meat I recommend starting small like your're thinking. You actually will be in time for rabbit season still which would be a fantastic way to start. The biggest thing about hunting is knowledge and confidence. The knowledge part will take years and time but we live in an golden age of the internet so that will speed things up for you. Confidence is important in so many ways, when you put that gun or bow up on any animal you need to be confident about the shot but also confident that you know what to do AFTER the shot.

Once you feel like you're ready to try elk I recommend maybe looking at ELK101 which is an online class all about elk and elk hunting. I think it's $60 but the beauty is that you can do it at your own pace and time. The AMOUNT of info from it will be everything you need to know. Yet again this is streamlining your learning by not having to go all over the net looking for info it's all packaged ready for you. If cost is an issue then just get the books I recommended and you should be all set.

Best piece of advise is this: Hunting is NOT a seasonal hobby, it is a year long hobby that takes countless hours of prep, training, learning and scouting. There is ALWAYS something you can be doing to become a better hunter and you get out of it exactly what you put into it! Welcome to the Hunting Brotherhood and to WA! You can pm me on here anytime with any questions anytime. Best of luck, shoot straight and knock something down :tup:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 09:10:44 AM by Cab »

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 09:09:10 AM »
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]