collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Should multi season permits go away?

Deer-Yes
Deer-No
Elk--Yes
Elk--No

Author Topic: Multi season permits, good or bad?  (Read 5709 times)

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
Multi season permits, good or bad?
« on: October 21, 2017, 03:32:55 PM »
Some believe Multi season permits put extra pressure on the critters. They are also a money grab for WDFW.
Should the availability of these permits be continued, or stopped?

You may vote 2 times, PLEASE only 1 for elk, and 1 for deer

Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Multi season permits, good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 03:38:15 PM »
 I love being able to spend more time in the woods looking for that right animal. As for pressuring the animals, I don't think it matters. Look at other states that allow multiple seasons to everyone, the hunting and animals numbers are better.  :twocents:
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 04:01:51 PM »
I like the deer MS tag.  I mostly hunt w/my bow irrespective of the season and it gives me a bit more flexibility which as the kids get older is becoming more of a necessity than a luxury. 

Offline rougheye

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 04:22:48 PM »
Bad ,and bad

Offline andr3wxmma

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 04:26:54 PM »
I think they can be good in moderation.

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 04:28:46 PM »
I like the MS tags. More options for permit apps and more hunting opportunity when you don't get drawn for a special permit.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline bfranklin81

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 10:01:53 PM »
As a relatively new hunter, I appreciate the opportunity to hunt multiple seasons. This is my third year of hunting and my second with a multiseason deer tag. I hunted the modern firearm season my first year and ended the season mostly frustrated with an empty freezer. Last year, I tripled my time in the woods by hunting early and late muzzleloader and modern firearm seasons. That extra experience was huge for me and I managed to tag my first deer during the late muzzy season. This year, I have added archery to  the equation and have been able to spend even more time in the woods and had some great encounters with both deer and elk. I haven't punched a tag yet this year, but there is still time to make it happen. For me, the multiseason tag has helped to accelerate the learning process and allowed me to be a more patient hunter. Without it, I might be lucky to get 2 or 3 days to hunt deer and maybe another 2 days for elk due to my work schedule.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 10:12:06 PM »
I don't think the MS deer tag affects Blacktails at all.  Their response to more pressure is becoming more invisible. 

I haven't seen an elk since July.  It wasn't MS elk hunters that made them scarce, but dang!  Where'd they go.  The seasons for elk are pretty short.  I say keep it the way it is.

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline KM1986

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 06:51:04 PM »
Multi-season tags are cool, but having to basically buy four tags to still only kill one animal is bs.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 09:04:59 PM »
I don't think the MS deer tag affects Blacktails at all.  Their response to more pressure is becoming more invisible. 

I haven't seen an elk since July.  It wasn't MS elk hunters that made them scarce, but dang!  Where'd they go.  The seasons for elk are pretty short.  I say keep it the way it is.

Very true

Here is something else to chew on:  Most locals on two islands I have access on and in south Kitsap haven't been seeing deer numbers they normally do all summer.  I took a look in August and was fairly unconcerned, they obviously went nocturnal to get away from the heat. 

I checked the steep trails they use very early in the morning to go down and lick salt off the beach before bedding down.  They were as cut up by tracks as they always have been.  Someday, maybe if the stars align right, I will get hunting access to some of these properties.  The rub is they are view properties with sky high prices and the owners are becoming more and more software writer types who just don't allow hunting access.  I will take old islanders, hippies and artists any day over the new breed of island residents when it comes to gaining hunting access.

South Kitsap has been the same way this year.  The deer there have been nocturnal all summer, but have been back out during the day this week.       

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
  • Groups: CCA WWA
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 09:21:05 PM »
I voted for them to go away, you should be a master of the weapon you choose. Some when drawn for the permit, have never touched the other user groups tools, but now they are hunting with them, with very little knowledge of them........Is this fair to the critters....I think not
The only reason I go in for the multi elk and deer is so I can chase deer with my bow during more season, this year with a muzzy, because of Roto-cuff surgery. But mainly, I put in for Elk, So I can put in for Dayton or other Blues elk tags, if not drawn for multi, I buy a ghost point, so I can hunt western Washington. Up to 27 points, and I will be damned if I can get a multi elk tag, so ghost points just keep adding up. To many to burn on a lesser area. IMO
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:49:18 PM by Mallardmasher »
USN 1985-94, IBEW Local 46 1994-Present
Matt

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 10:11:57 PM »
And some of us have more than mastered every weapon.   :rolleyes:  This is my 3rd year in a row drawing a MS deer tag.  I love it!  My schedule gets so screwed up this time of year that is is nice to be able to miss a few weekends if I need to and also have plenty of time to be picky and spend all of modern hunting with my daughter and concentrating on her knowing that I have until the end of the year to get my buck..

Offline pope

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 05:21:46 AM »
Works for me, for deer. I can't take vacation time and often my weekends are preoccupied with activities with the girls. Let's see, this weekend included a birthday party for my youngest, with 5 of her buddies sleeping over, 3 oil changes, a zombie dance at Maris Farm for our 2nd daughter, two hours of algebra tutoring, 1.5 hours of standing in the rain Saturday night after a mishap/fender-bender with my wife's Nissan (nobody is hurt), and watching my nephew play football in the Rams-Cardinals game in London. I don't buy the MS deer tag so I can hunt for hundreds of hours. I buy it because even being a weekend warrior is challenging to schedule.

One change I would like to see: require East or West for deer, just like with elk. I hate seeing all of the failed mule deer hunters showing up to hunt land they have never scouted. Last year a guy shot a blacktail buck near where I spend most of my time, and he had absolutely no plan for how to get the animal out of the woods.

While we're discussing seasons, how about a special season for traditional bows? There is an enormous difference between the range of a recurve or longbow and a compound. We distinguish between rifle and black powder, why not two types of archery seasons? I know when this could be done, without upsetting any of the current seasons: November 1st through the 14th.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 06:20:10 AM »
Deer should just be sold over the counter, elk could be increased a bit in numbers sold.  I love both the permits.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 06:23:57 AM »
I also enjoy the extra time in the field, don't f up a good thing. If you don't like it don't buy it
Go hawks

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter