collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Should multi season permits go away?

Deer-Yes
Deer-No
Elk--Yes
Elk--No

Author Topic: Multi season permits, good or bad?  (Read 5731 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Multi season permits, good or bad?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 06:37:06 AM »
WA is unusual in not allowing hunters to participate in multiple weapon seasons. The multi-season tags can help make up for that. With declining hunter numbers, I don't see how MS hurts ungulate numbers. I believe the biggest pressure on ungulate numbers is disease and predators.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 07:02:01 AM »
WA is unusual in not allowing hunters to participate in multiple weapon seasons. The multi-season tags can help make up for that. With declining hunter numbers, I don't see how MS hurts ungulate numbers. I believe the biggest pressure on ungulate numbers is disease and predators.
Predators for sure!!  I just spent a week in republic and didn't see a single legal buck, except for in town.  I think mule deer season should be shut down for about 5 years and they should pay us for coyote, cougar and bear pelts!!! 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline skeeter 20i

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 07:33:22 AM »
I think poor resource management has done more to hurt the deer/elk herds then the MS tags.  Everything from logging practices to predator control has all combined to make some very poor conditions. 
"The world is changed by your example, not your opinion."

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 08:21:26 AM »
Its still just one animal per day so I don't mind it. I never have bought the MS permit myself but have no problem with people who do.

Like what was said earlier, other states general tags are for all methods and they have longer seasons too. The one thing most have over WA is the ratio of animals/land/hunters.  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 09:15:04 AM »
I also enjoy the extra time in the field, don't f up a good thing. If you don't like it don't buy it

Used to be everyone got the extra time in the field if they wanted it. And at no cost. We'd hunt early archery, switch to modern season, then do late muzzy season or archery again. Then management decided it would be better for the herds to divide hunting up by area and weapon so there wouldn't be so many hunters in the field at one time.  Recently the Dept decided to slip hunting multiple weapons back in but at a price.  It was pretty limited at first, but they have gradually been expanding it. This was done to have another way to extract money from hunters. By keeping it limited and a draw, they created buzz and want and could charge a pretty hefty fee for the privilege most states allow over the counter for much cheaper if any extra cost. Now that they have a demand built up, they have gradually been increasing the number of multi season tags. Testing the market I'd call it. Seeing how many the can sell at current prices. Since this is for making money, (It certainly isn't for management purposes) they only have three options if they want to make more money. They either increase the price of a multi season tag, or they sell more multi season tags, or both. They are doing it gradually to maximize the money. I suspect if hunter numbers drop, they will raise prices and increase the number of multi season tags to make up for falling revenue. The problem being, by increasing costs (along with the increasing cost to gain access) they are gradually making it too expensive for new hunters to join the ranks so revenue will keep dropping and they will have to keep looking for more money streams. They may eventually go to over the counter for multi season tags. Then we will have a situation where we had something, they took it away and created a market for it, then brought it back at a price.

It's already a push for me to hunt out of State as a non resident or hunt here as a resident.  Idaho license and tag for deer? $456.50, muzzy permit $20, archey permit $20 Total..... $496.50. If I want to hunt all seasons but with a modern season that goes from Oct 10-Dec 1, I really don't feel the need to hunt with a bow or Muzzy there. There is lots of public land to hunt. Washington deer? license and tag $44.90, Access fee $250,  multi season tag $139.10. Total $434.

So for $62.50 more, if I hunt all weapons or 22.50 more if I don't, I can hunt Idaho with way more game and way more access and longer more flexible seasons, and have a lot more chance at a trophy sized animal if that's what I want.  I save on gas hunting there too as I do a lot less driving. Usually pick a spot and set up a camp and hunt the surrounding area. Here I do a lot more driving around. As an added bonus, In Idaho I can drive the roads and some trails on my Quad. I don't even pull it out of the garage when hunting locally here. I sometimes take it with me when I hunt the NE corner in the late season.  To be honest, it's more enjoyable hunting in Idaho. Less hunters and pressure. At least where I hunt.

The more I hunt in Idaho, the less money I spend here. And that's the way I'm leaning now.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2017, 09:28:12 AM »
This is probably our last year hunting WA.  Idaho and Montana are going to be it from now on (like everyone else).

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2017, 09:31:32 AM »
Other than the fact they turned it into a money grab instead of a tool that could be used to manage a resource/time in the field etc .....

Basically,  you used to be able to hunt with all methods.  The herd supposedly needed managed so they cut this.
Now the herd is 10x worse than it was when they did this change but in the meantime, they came up with a way to charge you to hunt all three methods.   Now think about it.  there are more multiseason tags than people willing to pay for them.   

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 09:34:16 AM »
Not for elk. I've missed 5 in a row.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 09:39:28 AM »
I don't think there are enough of them out there to make much of a difference.  They still restrict people to the general seasons.  Kind of nice occasionally having hunting seasons more like states that want you to shoot things.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 09:43:38 AM »
Agreed.  Not enough MS tags to really cause an impact.  There were almost 150,000 deer tags purchased last year, with only 6347 people buying the additional MS deer tag.  There were over 103,000 elk tags purchased, and only the 1000 allowed to buy the MS elk tag.   

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 09:44:17 AM »
I skewed the poll and don"t know how to change it. I voted yes, because my reading comprehension skills were rusty this am. I am in favor of keeping the Multi as is. With possible minor tweaks.

I agree with Sitka at times it seems we are boiling frogs. However I like to have options, and the multi gives us those options. It all depends on your priorities. And priorities can change from year to year. I know of guys who buy multiple private passes a year, plus multi season, and shoot a spike buck and are happy as can be. Other guys may do the same because they want the opportunity to chase big blacktails and we are one of the few states where that is possible. Other guys look at it and think its crazy. Myself, I chose to get a multi last year for permit options, and it payed off. This year I chose to apply my money elsewhere and selected a rifle tag hunting  public land keeping my cost as low as possible in state. Putting that money toward out of state tags and additional hunts.   

Offline Buzz2401

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 09:45:27 AM »
I like them but I don't like the crazy price they are charging and I really don't like the way they are selling the leftovers.  Make people put in the money for it ahead of time then if they draw they are committed.  No selling leftovers in the way they do it now.  We do need better predator control for sure but our elk herds on the east side are doing well and Mule deer populations are down across the country.  Until they figure out how to stop hoof rot the westside is gonna be in poor shape for elk.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2017, 09:47:35 AM »
I also enjoy the extra time in the field, don't f up a good thing. If you don't like it don't buy it

Used to be everyone got the extra time in the field if they wanted it. And at no cost. We'd hunt early archery, switch to modern season, then do late muzzy season or archery again. Then management decided it would be better for the herds to divide hunting up by area and weapon so there wouldn't be so many hunters in the field at one time.  Recently the Dept decided to slip hunting multiple weapons back in but at a price.  It was pretty limited at first, but they have gradually been expanding it. This was done to have another way to extract money from hunters. By keeping it limited and a draw, they created buzz and want and could charge a pretty hefty fee for the privilege most states allow over the counter for much cheaper if any extra cost. Now that they have a demand built up, they have gradually been increasing the number of multi season tags. Testing the market I'd call it. Seeing how many the can sell at current prices. Since this is for making money, (It certainly isn't for management purposes) they only have three options if they want to make more money. They either increase the price of a multi season tag, or they sell more multi season tags, or both. They are doing it gradually to maximize the money. I suspect if hunter numbers drop, they will raise prices and increase the number of multi season tags to make up for falling revenue. The problem being, by increasing costs (along with the increasing cost to gain access) they are gradually making it too expensive for new hunters to join the ranks so revenue will keep dropping and they will have to keep looking for more money streams. They may eventually go to over the counter for multi season tags. Then we will have a situation where we had something, they took it away and created a market for it, then brought it back at a price.

It's already a push for me to hunt out of State as a non resident or hunt here as a resident.  Idaho license and tag for deer? $456.50, muzzy permit $20, archey permit $20 Total..... $496.50. If I want to hunt all seasons but with a modern season that goes from Oct 10-Dec 1, I really don't feel the need to hunt with a bow or Muzzy there. There is lots of public land to hunt. Washington deer? license and tag $44.90, Access fee $250,  multi season tag $139.10. Total $434.

So for $62.50 more, if I hunt all weapons or 22.50 more if I don't, I can hunt Idaho with way more game and way more access and longer more flexible seasons, and have a lot more chance at a trophy sized animal if that's what I want.  I save on gas hunting there too as I do a lot less driving. Usually pick a spot and set up a camp and hunt the surrounding area. Here I do a lot more driving around. As an added bonus, In Idaho I can drive the roads and some trails on my Quad. I don't even pull it out of the garage when hunting locally here. I sometimes take it with me when I hunt the NE corner in the late season.  To be honest, it's more enjoyable hunting in Idaho. Less hunters and pressure. At least where I hunt.

The more I hunt in Idaho, the less money I spend here. And that's the way I'm leaning now.

Been hunting here since 1976, and it has not been free to switch between seasons since I started hunting. 

True, there was just a deer or elk tag, but it was modern firearm by default.  If you wanted to hunt archery or black powder, you had to buy a "bow and arrow permit" or a "muzzleloading rifle permit" which were, in 1977 - $6.00 each, which was $1.00 more than a deer tag....
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 09:58:01 AM by Blacktail Sniper »
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline NoBark

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2017, 10:00:44 AM »
So we went to the Choose your weapon scenario to reduce crowding especially Modern firearm season.  Then the legislature told the DFW to go find your own money and the MS tag came our raising money for DFW AND raising the crowding problem as well.   

I understand they need money, but the impact hasn't been good in my opinion.   I would dare say the number of Muzzy or Archery guys joining the rifle crowd is a very small percentage of total rifle hunters BUT, flip it and you find a huge increase in Modern tag holders joining the Archery guys for the late hunt.   The late season in by far the archers best chance at deer, and the hunter numbers have gone through the rood since the MS tag came into play.   

If I could change one thing, it would be to make the MS deer tag valid for the early archery and Modern seasons only and let the people who choose archery have the late season back to themselves. It would give MS tag holders two shots at deer and alleviate the crowding in the late archery seasons.  My two cents,.

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2017, 10:37:45 AM »
I skewed the poll and don"t know how to change it. I voted yes, because my reading comprehension skills were rusty this am. I am in favor of keeping the Multi as is. With possible minor tweaks.

I agree with Sitka at times it seems we are boiling frogs. However I like to have options, and the multi gives us those options. It all depends on your priorities. And priorities can change from year to year. I know of guys who buy multiple private passes a year, plus multi season, and shoot a spike buck and are happy as can be. Other guys may do the same because they want the opportunity to chase big blacktails and we are one of the few states where that is possible. Other guys look at it and think its crazy. Myself, I chose to get a multi last year for permit options, and it payed off. This year I chose to apply my money elsewhere and selected a rifle tag hunting  public land keeping my cost as low as possible in state. Putting that money toward out of state tags and additional hunts.
I screwed up to. I accidentally voted yes, wanted to vote NO!
GEAUX TIGERS

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1