collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Should multi season permits go away?

Deer-Yes
Deer-No
Elk--Yes
Elk--No

Author Topic: Multi season permits, good or bad?  (Read 5738 times)

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
Re: Multi season permits, good or bad?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 10:52:21 AM »
Multiseason permits do make the mix a bit more interesting.  I know I prefer to go muzzy, but the special permits I want are only good for modern tags (or multi).  So, most years don't draw multi so have to get a modern tag.
WDFW allows a 'lesser weapon' in the general seasons, they could probably allow lesser weapon tags to apply for special permits--let muzzy apply for mod tags.  :dunno:

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 11:24:57 AM »
I skewed the poll and don"t know how to change it. I voted yes, because my reading comprehension skills were rusty this am. I am in favor of keeping the Multi as is. With possible minor tweaks.

I agree with Sitka at times it seems we are boiling frogs. However I like to have options, and the multi gives us those options. It all depends on your priorities. And priorities can change from year to year. I know of guys who buy multiple private passes a year, plus multi season, and shoot a spike buck and are happy as can be. Other guys may do the same because they want the opportunity to chase big blacktails and we are one of the few states where that is possible. Other guys look at it and think its crazy. Myself, I chose to get a multi last year for permit options, and it payed off. This year I chose to apply my money elsewhere and selected a rifle tag hunting  public land keeping my cost as low as possible in state. Putting that money toward out of state tags and additional hunts.
I screwed up to. I accidentally voted yes, wanted to vote NO!

I haven't voted.  I could not discern what a yes vote stands for and what a no vote stands for given the wording in the ask.  I see it has been clarified now.   

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 11:45:29 AM »
One item I do appreciate about them, and the reason I often blow 180 bucks.....if you have the multi season permit you can apply for special permits in the different weapons class.   For instance, I apply for latemodern hunts versus archery, but usually hunt archery.   

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2017, 12:13:42 PM »
Perhaps more useful info is necessary...

I've never had a MS but... If you have one so you still take a week off for hunting, provided you did before? Does your hunting become more weekend warrior since you have more weekends to spread it over?

How does the number of days in the feild change?

If most MS hunters only hunt weekends or 3 day ones... is this really that much more pressure?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »
Generally I pay the 180 dollars so I can apply for hunts I never get drawn for, then kill my buck the first day I hunt.  This year I saved 180 because the deer herd is in such bad shape, all I wasted my money on was points.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2017, 02:55:21 PM »
Other than the fact they turned it into a money grab instead of a tool that could be used to manage a resource/time in the field etc .....

Basically,  you used to be able to hunt with all methods.  The herd supposedly needed managed so they cut this.
Now the herd is 10x worse than it was when they did this change but in the meantime, they came up with a way to charge you to hunt all three methods.   Now think about it.  there are more multiseason tags than people willing to pay for them.

Agreed,

The whole point in this poll is because the Mule deer herds are in bad shape, we mostly all can agree on that.
The most viable, and realistic option that we have at helping the herds is "people control"
Wolves Management=not a chance this will change.
Predator control= Yes cats and yotes need more population control......But lots on here keep referring to bears as having a large impact on deer population. Simply not true, research it. (example in link)
https://wildlife.utah.gov/predators-mule-deer.html

So we went to the Choose your weapon scenario to reduce crowding especially Modern firearm season.  Then the legislature told the DFW to go find your own money and the MS tag came our raising money for DFW AND raising the crowding problem as well.   

I understand they need money, but the impact hasn't been good in my opinion.   I would dare say the number of Muzzy or Archery guys joining the rifle crowd is a very small percentage of total rifle hunters BUT, flip it and you find a huge increase in Modern tag holders joining the Archery guys for the late hunt.   The late season in by far the archers best chance at deer, and the hunter numbers have gone through the rood since the MS tag came into play.   

If I could change one thing, it would be to make the MS deer tag valid for the early archery and Modern seasons only and let the people who choose archery have the late season back to themselves. It would give MS tag holders two shots at deer and alleviate the crowding in the late archery seasons.  My two cents,.

:tup:
I also have seen a huge increase in the amount of archery folks due to the MS.

Even if its a small percentage of "extra" hunters during any given weapon season, its still added pressure on the critters, and there are without a doubt, deer killed every year that would not have been had that particular hunter been restricted to one weapon choice.

If we TRULY want tp help out the herds, we need to take a close look in the mirror, people control is the best way to achieve healthy herds. Eliminating the MS tags would still give all hunters their time/chance to hunt (as opposed to shutting down areas, draw only hunting, odd/even hunting, etc.)  Eliminating the MS permits would also help to provide hunters with something we all want......less competition in the field at the same time.

There are better/other ways for WDFW to increase funds. ie; pay an extra fee to be able to apply for a special permit in any category, add 1 or 2 more raffle permits, and have a small cap on them...Limit 10,

Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2017, 04:03:41 PM »

Been hunting here since 1976, and it has not been free to switch between seasons since I started hunting. 

True, there was just a deer or elk tag, but it was modern firearm by default.  If you wanted to hunt archery or black powder, you had to buy a "bow and arrow permit" or a "muzzleloading rifle permit" which were, in 1977 - $6.00 each, which was $1.00 more than a deer tag....

I started hunting in 1964 and bow hunting in !970. I don't remember a bow permit being required then, it was long enough ago I may have forgotten. But even as you show a bow permit was required in 1977, it was six bucks.  Even better that same bow permit was also good for elk too. Same with black powder permits.  It was cheap to hunt all the seasons whatever the case. With the way things are going now in the State's and timberland holder's quest to make more money off of hunting, hunter numbers will continue to dwindle and hunters as a whole will lose more political clout.  I'm sorry to see things go this way myself.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline GrampasGuns

• Scout
  • Groups: WWA, DU, RGS, NWTF
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2017, 06:21:10 PM »
This was the last year I buy a MS.

This program is bankrupt of any reason, or rhyme.

When the system constantly has 2-3k left over permits each year, and to not just offer a MS without paying the $6 app, is equatable to theft in my opinion.

People who want them wont get drawn, and people who don't care wont buy one.

Pointless.
The deer are exactly where you find them, and no where you dont!

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2017, 12:21:53 PM »
I voted no.  Hunted a new area this year and learning the country, so I decided to increase my chances.  Turned out I needed a little extra time, since I spent a good portion of muzzleloader deer dragging my son's buck.  That and some poor shooting.  Next year I'll just go back to muzz.  The mule deer are pretty thin right now.  They could use a break.

Offline Elkaholic daWg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2017, 05:23:10 AM »
I believe you should be able to hunt all weapons east and west with the purchase of a simple big game tag.
As in my younger days.......Sell them OTC!
Blue Ribbon Coalition
CCRKBA
SAF
NRA                        
Go DaWgs!!

Offline wt

• Scout
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2017, 01:51:38 PM »
No,and no. Only because it would wreck my marriage.lol. otherwise yes!

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2017, 03:29:02 PM »
I meant to vote yes, for now until the deer herds recover.  I read the poll wrong and voted incorrectly.

Offline archerykraze

• Hunter
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2017, 07:31:29 AM »
Used to hunt either Archery or Muzzle for the lack of hunter competition. Might see 1 other hunter during archery season and a half dozen during Muzzle. The last two years been a lot more people showing up with MS Tags who are normally modern tag holders. This has pushed the deer into the thicker timber earlier with increased hunting pressure. I do believe we are applying too much pressure on the animals, heck they are already being chased nonstop by the predators the state wont let us properly control. I've changed my early season tactics and still manage to fill my tag, just got to adapt to the greedy state's changes I guess, but I'd like to see the MS Tag go away and maybe replace it with a 1-2 week long spring bear hunt tag that is a separate general season tag which I'm sure most would buy. Good Luck Everyone!

Offline shorthair-on-point

• Scout
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2017, 07:50:04 AM »
I agree with many of the others. I have experienced a great deal more pressure in my area (which is all private ground in which none of these people have permission by the way). The animals are definitely more stressed. If they are going to keep it they need to do something to relieve the hunting pressure. Maybe permit the multi season tag by GMU.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2017, 07:53:14 AM »
Used to hunt either Archery or Muzzle for the lack of hunter competition. Might see 1 other hunter during archery season and a half dozen during Muzzle. The last two years been a lot more people showing up with MS Tags who are normally modern tag holders. This has pushed the deer into the thicker timber earlier with increased hunting pressure. I do believe we are applying too much pressure on the animals, heck they are already being chased nonstop by the predators the state wont let us properly control. I've changed my early season tactics and still manage to fill my tag, just got to adapt to the greedy state's changes I guess, but I'd like to see the MS Tag go away and maybe replace it with a 1-2 week long spring bear hunt tag that is a separate general season tag which I'm sure most would buy. Good Luck Everyone!

Bingo,

waaay more pressure now during archery/muzzy.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal