collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Back from Idaho, big buck down and the best shot I ever missed  (Read 6367 times)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Back from Idaho, big buck down and the best shot I ever missed
« on: October 23, 2017, 01:35:43 PM »
This was our second year going to Idaho, and with what we learned last year, we felt we would be very successful this time around. In some ways we were. We had a game plan on where to concentrate, some ideas on how to get away from people, and the want/will to get away from the roads. I had just a deer tag, and my Dad and buddy (Fisheral87) had just elk tags.

We drove through the night Thursday night and rolled into camp early Friday morning. We spent that day setting up, cutting firewood, and doing some evening glassing. That was a productive night.

Saturday, we glassed at first light, noting some animals in the same places from the night before, then commenced a death march into an area that I glassed a couple of decent bucks in the morning. This would come back to haunt me. We found a lot of deer that night, but no bucks.

Sunday morning, opening day for elk, started with glassing for the first couple hours. We found a few different herds of animals and picked one herd that we had seen in the same spot all 3 days, and made a plan to go after them. An hour later we were at the gate and started walking the 6 miles in to the ridge where they had been. We ran into a father/son combo that were back packing into the same spot, but after talking for a while, we established a plan that would be beneficial for everyone. It was great to work with other hunters in the field vs. having to deal with the “me me me” attitude that I often run into here in WA.

As we rounded the last corner coming to the end ridge we wanted, we entered a burned section of timber. We noted a guy down in the burn a couple hundred yards and upon closer inspection, we saw he had a nice bull down. As it turns out, they had 2 bulls down, and they had indeed come out of the herd we had been watching further down the ridge. The tracks in the snow told the whole story.

A little deflated, we continued on with our plan, as we knew there were a lot of elk around, and chances were high we would see them. My Dad and buddy spread out on the end ridge to sit until dark, and I took off to look at new ground. I had been gone an hour and a half or so, and I received a text telling me to come back. I thought I had heard a shot, but couldn't tell where it had come from. I assumed it was them, and took off down the ridge mentally preparing for the pack out! But when I got to their area, there was my Dad, sitting under his tree still, giving me a bewildered look. Then I noticed my buddy further down the ridge waving me in. As I neared him, 2 bucks I hadn't seen, a small 4 pt and 3 pt, got up and moseyed into the timber before I could get a shot. I looked back at my buddy and he gave me an agitated "get down here now!" wave. I hustled down and he informed me there was a big 3x4 in the next draw. He wasn't sure it was what I wanted, but he wanted me to make that decision.

I'm not a picky hunter, never have been. If it's legal, it usually dies. I had decided I'd probably even take a nice 2 pt on this trip if it presented itself. As I inched to the top of the ridgeline we were on, I noticed several deer across from me, 125 yards away. The one lowest on the hill was the 3x4 he was talking about. He had nice forks, and width, probably low 20's wide. I made a small move and got steady on my shooting sticks. It was a steep downhill shot and he was facing me at an odd angle. I waited for him to turn held slightly high on the chest so the bullet path would do maximum damage. KABOOM! The 7 mag roared to life. There was big thud and a large cloud of dust erupted from the hillside just over the bucks back. He stood there, looking just as confused as I was! What had happened? All my practice, I knew the gun wasn't off. All I could decide was the elevation (7000' or so), and the steep downhill angle had caused me to hit higher than I expected.

I frantically chambered another round, but they had had enough. My buck and another dozen deer bounded down the draw and out of range. I was sick. How could I have blown that?! But WAIT! I watched the buck turn left, and start up the next draw. Redemption awaited me over the next ridge! I hustled over and slowly peaked over the ridge line. I was not prepared for what I saw. There were north of 30 deer in this draw and at least half a dozen bucks. I knew I had missed the first deer cleanly, so I immediately began looking this group over. Highest on the hill this time, stood the biggest buck in the group. I didn't know how big he was, I didn't take the time to scrutinize him. I couldn't believe they were still there after I had just shot a couple hundred yards away! I picked him as my target, slid down hill behind some burnt timber and shuffled out into shooting position. The deer were calm, most were feeding, so I took my time. I adjusted my shooting sticks to the perfect height. Double checked my dial to make sure it was set appropriately, and then held and squeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzed the trigger. KABOOM! Maggy roared a 2nd time. The buck dropped in his tracks, like someone had yanked the rug out from under him. He slid downhill a couple feet, and never moved again.

Complete and utter chaos ensued. Deer running this way, deer running that way. A SUPER tall 4 pt ran to the top of the ridge 40 yards from me and stood there staring at me, like he was trying to figure out how this burnt stump and had just made such a ruckus. I took a deep breath, stood up, and began the descent down to my buck, laying 200 yards away. It felt strange walking through so much chaos. Deer running all over the place, totally confused, all the while, there were 2 points that stayed constant. My buck and me. It was calming actually.

I crossed the bottom and began side hilling toward him when I saw his antler sticking up out of the grass. I paused, and took a picture, and it was then I realized, "Hey, this is a big buck." I got closer, and thought, "Jeez, this is a really big buck!" And when I got to him, I realized he was by far the biggest buck I'd ever taken. I sat with him for a moment, soaking in the reverence of his awesomeness. The sun had just set, the light was beautiful, and the wind was calm. I sat quietly for some time until I noticed my partners working their way down the hill.

This moment in the hunt is my favorite and least favorite all at the same time. It's about this time that the adrenaline of the shot is wearing off, and the remorse of taking such a beautiful animal begins to creep in. As I've said before, I never regret killing an animal, I'm a hunter, it is what I do. But I do have an immense amount of respect for them as beings, and autonomous creatures, and the taking of their lives shouldn't be taken lightly. I always do my best to give them the respect they deserve.

As my Dad and buddy approached, they asked what had happened, assuming I'd had to pursue and make a follow up shot. I told them, "I missed the first shot completely, and I was DANG glad I did! That was the best shot I've ever missed!" Everyone enjoyed the view for a few minutes, and pictures were taken, but darkness was closing in fast. We made short work of quartering him, leaving hardly enough for the birds and coyotes bother with, and started up the ridge in the dark at 8:45 pm.

This is where the death march from the day before came back to haunt me. At the end of that hike, we had descended down a mountain side for at least a couple thousand feet, much of it extremely steep and rugged. My left knee was bumming, but as we started up that hill, it all but gave out. I borrowed my buddy's trekking poles, and they may have been the only thing that got me to the road at the top of the ridge. I couldn't bend my knee, but if I hit the ground with it straight it sent pain shooting into my feet and up into my back. The next 6 miles on the road took 2 hours. We then had to chain all 4 to get down off the mountain because the compact snow was now a sheet of ice. We got to camp at 1:30 am, choked some food down, and hit the sack.

I was camp bound effectively the rest of the week. I made some excursions that I shouldn't have, including a 1500' ascent and descent after a herd of elk with my guys. They hunted their hearts out the rest of the week, with lots of encounters, and some missed opportunities. Alas, Saturday morning came and we hit the road for home with my buck being the only tag filled. I processed the meat last night and after trimming, walked away with 87# of edible meat. What a buck!
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Back from Idaho, big buck down and the best shot I ever missed
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 01:38:34 PM »
that's a great buck. Nice job. Beautiful country too!
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline skeeter 20i

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 01:46:10 PM »
Epic.  Congrats man sounds like it was a hard earned experience that you enjoyed.

JM
"The world is changed by your example, not your opinion."

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 01:47:19 PM »
Congratulations on a great buck.  Really like your attitude toward the quarry.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Online WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 01:48:26 PM »
Yes!  Congrats buddy on a great hunt and very, very nice buck.  RJ
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 01:49:08 PM »
Well done!  Great write up, great pics.  :tup:
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Online trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 02:23:46 PM »
Great story man, and congrats on a sweet azz buck!  You don't need my sweet spot in Washington anymore!!  Lol.  Looks like you guys found a deer unit for life! 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Online Brushbuster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 03:05:24 PM »
Great story & write up!  Beautiful Buck.  :tup:

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 03:45:20 PM »
Great story! :tup:
Thanks for taking the time to share!
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 04:08:34 PM »
Awesome write up, and what a great buck!

You've had one helluva year.  Congratulations. :tup:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 05:57:37 AM by Timberstalker »
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline elkboy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 04:22:15 PM »
7mm, thanks for the great write-up and photos!  I really appreciate your attitude towards the game animals.  Enjoy that beautiful mulie buck!   

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 05:12:22 PM »
Congratulations on a great buck.  Really like your attitude toward the quarry.
:yeah:
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline pd

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2017, 05:21:07 PM »
I like how you squeeeeeeeeeezed the trigger.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Widgeondeke

• Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2017, 06:13:13 PM »
Congrats on a great buck, but....How's your knee? any lasting affects?

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2017, 06:53:25 PM »
Congrats on a great buck, but....How's your knee? any lasting affects?

Knee felt good yesterday, but I woke up in the middle of the night and it was super sore. It popped a fair amount today,  but minimal pain. Just giving it some time for now.

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2017, 06:59:20 PM »
that's a great buck, just a perfect representation of a mature mule deer buck with good genes. congrats

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2017, 07:01:10 PM »
One shout out that I really need to give, is to at @fisheral87. He put his elk hunt on hold when he called me down to look at the other buck that was right below him. I never would have shot the buck that I got if he hadn't done that.

Now, not that he didn't owe me, after I took him into my black tail spot last year, and he shot an absolute monster, but this means that we're square now!

He also put Dad's elk hunt on hold but I don't think he cared much!

Offline dupedc

• Hardcore Hunting
  • Hunter
  • It’s good to be in elk woods!
    • Gig Harbor Chiropractor
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2017, 08:56:58 PM »
Wow! Beautiful buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Buckhunter28

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Buckhunter28
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 09:36:23 PM »
Awesome buck, awesome write up, awesome country, respect to the animal, and time well spent with friends and family. Can't ask for anything more in the perfect hunting story!! Congrats on an awesome buck, thank you for sharing!! Hope your knee is getting better!

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2017, 10:07:46 PM »
Beautiful deer and country. Love the fall colors at your camp. Hope the knee gets better. You'll want to go back I'm sure.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 08:28:18 AM »
What an awesome hunt and a great buck as well! You took some awesome photos! Thanks for the write up and taking your time to share with us. Congrats!  :tup:

Btw I hear fresh venison is a wonder drug for healing sore knees...better eat up!  :chuckle:
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 09:14:11 AM »
Had the tenderloins last night, fantastic!

Offline The Fin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
  • Groups: The Fin
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 06:46:06 PM »
Awesome buck.  Congrats you earned it.  Get that knee fixed before next year :tup:
Life Member RMEF
Life Member NRA
Ducks Unlimited
Washington State Bowhunters

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 08:29:40 PM »
Awesome buck.  Congrats you earned it.  Get that knee fixed before next year :tup:

I wish we'd had a chance to meet up over there. How was the moose hunt?

Offline Triplej

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 10:26:59 AM »
Nice Work great buck  :tup:

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 01:23:57 PM »
Great write up and buck! :tup:
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 01:26:43 PM »
Cool buck and thanks for the story, too.  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline wsmnut

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 01:45:30 PM »
Great buck!  Nice story and pictures.  Thanks for sharing.
Wsmnut

Belief is so often the death of reason.
Moron Lube

Offline SkookumHntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 01:49:15 PM »
Awesome Muley!!
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2017, 10:43:23 AM »
Dandy Buck Rory! I was just mentioning to the wife that I need to start looking into hunting Idaho, think I will for sure.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline ryanj

• Tracker
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2017, 10:47:41 AM »
 :tup: Beautiful BUCK!

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2017, 11:33:15 AM »
Dandy Buck Rory! I was just mentioning to the wife that I need to start looking into hunting Idaho, think I will for sure.

Now don't go poaching my spots!  :chuckle:

It really is a change of pace from WA, and a bit habit forming. Be in great shape and you'll do fine.

Offline bulldogs40

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 05:55:45 PM »
Amazing story!!! That is beautiful country!!!

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 07:23:33 PM »
That is awesome! Great story and a stud Buck too!  :tup:
IAFF #3728

Offline Watimberghost

• Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 07:42:48 PM »
Thanks for sharing your story! Great buck :tup:

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 08:02:58 PM »
Just curious, how wide is he?  What a beautiful buck.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2017, 08:39:55 PM »
Just curious, how wide is he?  What a beautiful buck.

He is almost exactly 27" inside spread.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2017, 08:57:06 PM »
Wow, nice!

Offline johnr060

• Scout
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 08:58:29 PM »
Beautiful buck. Great pictures!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

IAFF Local 469

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 09:27:01 PM »
 :tup: thanks

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal