collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ghost fences  (Read 4251 times)

Offline scottr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Ghost fences
« on: October 23, 2017, 06:28:16 PM »
My English setter got pretty tore up on an ancient barbwire fence last weekend out grouse hunting on public land. $500 vet bill and out of commission for 10 to 14 days.

I know I'm not the first and won't be the last hunter to have his dog get hurt on that stuff, so what can we do about it?

There have to be thousands of miles of old fences on public land doing nothing to contain livestock. Has there ever been a movement to rip out these old ghost fences that sit on public parcels? Could a group of citizens work with DFW and DNR to go in and remove old fences?

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
Re: Ghost fences
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:39:43 PM »
sue the state...i'm sure if someone can get compensated for buying a cup of coffee from a fast food joint then turn around and sue them for it being too hot then the ASPCA should back you on this one....in all seriousness get a hold of the WDFW and you should be able to turn your efforts into a volunteer status situation that should fullfill your requirements to get your Advanced Hunter Ed status if that is what you desire
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 06:42:40 PM »
Master hunters have been recovering fence on YTC, but they have a few thousand miles more to recover, before they are done.

Offline scottr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:33:25 AM »
sue the state...i'm sure if someone can get compensated for buying a cup of coffee from a fast food joint then turn around and sue them for it being too hot then the ASPCA should back you on this one....in all seriousness get a hold of the WDFW and you should be able to turn your efforts into a volunteer status situation that should fullfill your requirements to get your Advanced Hunter Ed status if that is what you desire

Yeah it worth a shot but it also seems like an impossible task, like counting sand at the beach. I'd guess that's why the state hasn't undertaken the effort.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 11:23:16 AM »

Yeah it worth a shot but it also seems like an impossible task, like counting sand at the beach. I'd guess that's why the state hasn't undertaken the effort.

Sounds to me like a good way to get all State land that may have abandoned fence on it closed off to access. 

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 12:57:44 PM »
You can volunteer to clean up, work with the area manager and take your tractor down, pull it out and bingo. Fence gone. Did that at Cherry Valley with an old barbed wire fence.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline scottr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 07:29:41 PM »

Sounds to me like a good way to get all State land that may have abandoned fence on it closed off to access.

I have no intention of suing the state but might inquire about volunteering to do some clean up/habitat improvement.

Offline scottr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 07:31:25 PM »
You can volunteer to clean up, work with the area manager and take your tractor down, pull it out and bingo. Fence gone. Did that at Cherry Valley with an old barbed wire fence.

Exactly what I was thinking Paul. Could either yard it all out with a tractor or cut it off in sections at the post junctions.

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 06:43:15 AM »
I hate the barbed wire, but I've taken to putting my dog in one of these to minimize the risk:

http://www.lcsupply.com/Protective-Safety-Vests-Hunting-Dog-Vests/products/155/
" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 07:27:00 AM »
I hate the barbed wire, but I've taken to putting my dog in one of these to minimize the risk:

http://www.lcsupply.com/Protective-Safety-Vests-Hunting-Dog-Vests/products/155/
Thanks T-Bone, this one looks tougher than the one I have been using on my dog so going to give it a try.

Offline scottr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 05:45:59 PM »
I should have run him in his skid plate but I forgot. In this instance may not have helped, damage was on his arm and paw.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 09:45:40 PM »
could care less about their chest. Barbed wire isn't going to do that much damage to warrant it. I worry about their eyes. Hell with a scratch on their chest. Barbs are tiny on wire.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline scottr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
Ghost fences
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 11:51:50 AM »
could care less about their chest. Barbed wire isn't going to do that much damage to warrant it. I worry about their eyes. Hell with a scratch on their chest. Barbs are tiny on wire.

Im not taking my chances, when my setter is running full speed hitting a wire is going to mess him up. Punctures are one thing and don't want to risk cuts/tears though muscle down to bone, internal injury, etc.
Sticks are another good reason to run a vest, Steve Smith from GunDog magazine lost his pointer to a stick in the chest, pierced the poor dogs heart.

The face on a fence is a scary thought, eyes, nose mouth. My buddy's lab broke a tooth hitting a wire fence.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 02:03:37 PM »
I had to get my dog stitched up this spring running him around the umptaneum this last spring. Just a filet like cut but still needed stitches. Good idea to contact area manager and see if pulling out yourself would be fine. I might have to do the same. Another reason to get out haha. Hope your pup recovers fast

Offline scottr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 03:20:49 PM »
I had to get my dog stitched up this spring running him around the umptaneum this last spring. Just a filet like cut but still needed stitches. Good idea to contact area manager and see if pulling out yourself would be fine. I might have to do the same. Another reason to get out haha. Hope your pup recovers fast

Thanks, stitches come out this week, hopefully he can hunt Sat. Sorry about your pup, I think it must be a very common injury to gun dogs.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]