collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another Cougar Came Back  (Read 14140 times)

Offline dan11011

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
Another Cougar Came Back
« on: October 23, 2017, 08:34:21 PM »
Well I wrote a story on here a month or so ago about a cougar that I shot that had killed one of our sheep. I thought this would be the end of our problems with cougars at least for a while. However, at the beginning of this month (about 2 months after the first incident) while I was away from home, another cougar came in and killed 5 sheep and our llama all in one night. It was very unlucky that I was away that night as I would have heard the commotion and at least saved some of the animals. The cougar didn't eat anything and the animals rotted quickly. He never came back and I wasn't able to shoot him. I was very distraught as I've had that llama for over 10 years.

I had a warden come out and confirm that this was also the work of a cougar. Not sure where to go from here. I plan to buy some more sheep in the Spring, but don't know how I will ever fully protect them as the cougars are abundant and seem to be happy to always jump the fence.

Here's some photos of some of the animals. It sure was a bloodbath that night.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: Another Cougar Came Back
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 08:57:14 PM »
That sucks!  Losing chickens is bad enough, I can hardly imagine this.

I'm hoping to try to do some cougar hunting this winter, hopefully, I can help someone out.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 08:57:59 PM »
Gotta do some predator calling this winter! That and chasing down trax in the snow!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 09:02:02 PM »
Gotta do some predator calling this winter! That and chasing down trax in the snow!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Never thought about trying to call the cougars on our property. Not a bad idea and what can it hurt.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 06:25:04 AM »
Maybe they'll give you a permit to use dogs. There are a couple of houndsmen on this forum that would likely love the opportunity to run their dogs.  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 07:14:14 AM »
Consider putting in a claim against the state for the damages done by wildlife to your personal property?

I don't know if this would apply to large predators or just for deer & elk damages, but may be worth at least looking into.

May get some compensation for your losses that could be used for additional fence materials or other stuff that may make it safer for your critters.

Just a thought, frustrating as heck to feel like you can't turn your back for even a minute because of something like this happening.
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline tlbradford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 08:28:00 AM »
Have you considered a working dog like a Great Pyrenees or similar?  I am sorry for your loss.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 08:58:37 AM »
Holy hell.
That's terrible.  Good luck killing that monster, and rebuilding your flock. :tup:
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 09:09:46 AM »
Have a friend with a few dogs living in his Alpaca herd... they've had lion sitting outside the pen watching, but never lost one.

Calling works, harder than dogs, but it does work!
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 09:12:25 AM »
Have you considered a working dog like a Great Pyrenees or similar?  I am sorry for your loss.
:yeah: times 2 on the working dog. Sorry for your loss... sickening really  :(
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 09:25:40 AM »
Works on cats too

Offline jbeaumont21

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 09:35:12 AM »
From the Mountain Lion Foundation website, "guard dogs reduce predation by as much as 93%. "

https://www.mountainlion.org/portalprotectguardanimals.asp

Sorry for your loss!

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 10:36:55 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts and input everybody.

We did have property insurance (which was separate from the state) for the sheep and would have recieved $375 a head, but the insurance didn't kick in until two days after the sheep were killed. I kid you not.  :bash:

I'm sure we could get permission to run hounds but there are a lot of other ranches and farms around and the last thing I want to do is have dogs running all over peoples properties 2 miles away just for our sake. Not only that, but they might be chasing a different cat.

The point of the llama was to be a guardian animal like a dog would be. We've had 4 llamas over the past 20 years and they all have done a good job and limited livestock loss dramatically. We've had two llamas die of old age and two killed by cougars now. I'm not against getting another one as they do a good job for the most part. We've never lost this many animals in a night while owning a llama so this really came as a surprise.

I think I will try some calling this winter, maybe even download and play some sheep sounds on my electronic call.  :dunno:

I haven't had a dog for 3 years now but maybe its time for another.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 10:43:24 AM »
My mother in law has several dairy goats and has 2 miniature donkeys running full time with them a mile from a spot I had 5 different lions on camera in 1 year. No predator losses to date to her goats. The goats and donkeys have free range of her 12 acres. She was told a donkey will stop a lion attack.

I know a guy near me who has quality, trained livestock guardian dogs and lots of llamas and alpacas and he has had repetitive lion issues over the last few years. I imagine the dogs have probably stopped some predation, but lions have killed his animals multiple times over the last few years.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 11:14:09 AM »
My mother in law has several dairy goats and has 2 miniature donkeys running full time with them a mile from a spot I had 5 different lions on camera in 1 year. No predator losses to date to her goats. The goats and donkeys have free range of her 12 acres. She was told a donkey will stop a lion attack.

I know a guy near me who has quality, trained livestock guardian dogs and lots of llamas and alpacas and he has had repetitive lion issues over the last few years. I imagine the dogs have probably stopped some predation, but lions have killed his animals multiple times over the last few years.

Yeah, I forgot to mention a donkey/burro. Some mules are hell on predators but that's because of the donkey side of them and you don't need something that large. Do they still have those blm burro adoption programs. Maybe you can snatch up one of those  :dunno:. We have a cowboy friend that used to have a burro. He would use him for training purposes for horses that thought they were in charge. That burro would stock a horse 3 times his size and sometimes try and bite the belly out of them  :yike:, they can be nasty creatures.
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10