collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Out of state mountain goat  (Read 9771 times)

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Out of state mountain goat
« on: October 24, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »
I have a rolling savings fund for my next hunting trip going but I had to cancel it when my dad backed out. I'm seriously considering a mountain goat trip in BC or Alaska as I'm sure I won't draw in Washington in the next two years.

Anyone have experience or know anyone who has hunted goats who can recommend a guide to go with or not to go with? I like the idea of a fly in Alaska hunt but I'm not set in stone on anything yet.

Offline USMC86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Out of state mountain goat
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 02:56:59 PM »
Hi-

Only can share the perspective of one mountain goat hunt (but can compare to three other trips in Alaska). I went with Dan Montgomery of Alaska Trophy Adventures.  He was, without a doubt, the best guide/outfitter that I've used in North America....and far better than the other three I used in Alaska.

He operates in the Chugach range of Alaska.  The one disadvantage is you have to apply- he will put you in for the drawing so that part is convenient- and it is straight draw with no bonus or preference points.  The advantages are many...trophy quality on sheep is outstanding and very good for goat.  Arguably SE Alaska goats score better than goats in Dan's area- and BC would certainly be better- but I shot a B&C goat on the first day of the hunt that I was thrilled with.  The area is beautiful, with lots of glaciers, and he and his guides are responsible, thoughtful, professional...everything that you'd want in a hunt.  One small example...we got back to the tent around 10:00 pm after a very long day....pouring rain and cold/windy...my wife and I crawled into our tent, spent.  Dan stood outside in that nasty weather cooking us dinner with a grin on his face....he's an older dude but a beast in the mountains and yet very considerate to go at our pace.  Check him out on facebook, his website or give him a call...he should be done with his fall hunts and available.  Good luck with whomever you choose, and- I'm sure that you've heard this already- hike as much as you can before you go.  Goat hunting is no joke!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 03:42:47 PM »
@archery288

Care to share some insight?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline archery288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 06:21:08 PM »
I went with North River Outfitting out of Northern BC this year.  I would HIGHLY recommend their operation.  If your main goal is to just kill a giant Boone and Crockett goat, you need to look at the coastal range in BC.  If you want to do the fly-in deal and experience some of the most remote and gorgeous country there is, go in-land in BC in the Cassiar's where I went.  We were over 100 miles from the nearest road.  You'll see moose, stone sheep, caribou and maybe a griz on your hunt.  And a TON of goats.  They average a 9.5" goat with some bigger.  Mine was 10", 8.5 years old and will make B&C.  They had a goat a sheep hunter had killed when I got there that was 11.5 years old.  He was only 9 5/8", but the bases were massive. 

Ron and Maria with North River are two of the nicest people you'll meet; and hardest working.  They go up in May and start their prep all summer long living in the bush with their crew.  They scout all summer and start hunting stones in the end of July.  They know where the animals are and will put you on animals no question.  Their area can produce B&C animals in all the species they offer.  Goat, moose, stone sheep, caribou and grizzly.  They have a great crew with around 10 guides, camp cooks etc.  Everyone is extremely welcoming and there to help you have a great hunt and succeed.  You'll be assigned a guide and packer on your hunt.  If you kill early, you can hunt wolves or fish, or if you have a combo hunt you can start hunting for your next animal. 

Hunts are usually about 7 days for goats and 10 for other species.  You won't need 7 days to kill a good goat with them.  Take a look at their site here:  http://northriveroutfitting.com

Feel free to contact me if you want more info.   

Offline Falcon

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 06:40:01 PM »
Hi-

Only can share the perspective of one mountain goat hunt (but can compare to three other trips in Alaska). I went with Dan Montgomery of Alaska Trophy Adventures.  He was, without a doubt, the best guide/outfitter that I've used in North America....and far better than the other three I used in Alaska.

He operates in the Chugach range of Alaska.  The one disadvantage is you have to apply- he will put you in for the drawing so that part is convenient- and it is straight draw with no bonus or preference points.  The advantages are many...trophy quality on sheep is outstanding and very good for goat.  Arguably SE Alaska goats score better than goats in Dan's area- and BC would certainly be better- but I shot a B&C goat on the first day of the hunt that I was thrilled with.  The area is beautiful, with lots of glaciers, and he and his guides are responsible, thoughtful, professional...everything that you'd want in a hunt.  One small example...we got back to the tent around 10:00 pm after a very long day....pouring rain and cold/windy...my wife and I crawled into our tent, spent.  Dan stood outside in that nasty weather cooking us dinner with a grin on his face....he's an older dude but a beast in the mountains and yet very considerate to go at our pace.  Check him out on facebook, his website or give him a call...he should be done with his fall hunts and available.  Good luck with whomever you choose, and- I'm sure that you've heard this already- hike as much as you can before you go.  Goat hunting is no joke!

I haven’t hunted goat with Dan but have 2 good friends who have hunted sheep with him and have met him last year at the WWSF banquet.   Great guy and has a flawless reputation in the industry.  There is no way you could go wrong with him. 
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:31:15 PM »
Both of those look like top notch outfits!

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 08:52:14 AM »
It's refreshing to hear good reviews...

:tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 06:45:57 PM »
Just reading those wants me to plan a goat hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 07:16:30 PM »
Just reading those wants me to plan a goat hunt

I keep spiralling down the rabbit hole though and trying to figure out how to spend a month chasing goats sheep beats and moose. Thanks again for the two recommendations.

Offline time2hunt

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 07:51:35 PM »
For a little money up front and returned if not drawn Idaho has some of the best draw odds out there for there OIL tags.

Local 3482

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 08:39:03 PM »
For a little money up front and returned if not drawn Idaho has some of the best draw odds out there for there OIL tags.

Is that where the goat in tour avatar is from?

Offline time2hunt

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 08:40:35 PM »
No I drew goat rocks in  2015.

Local 3482

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 08:41:23 PM »
No I drew goat rocks in  2015.

Lol I've been trying but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Offline time2hunt

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 08:46:12 PM »
It only took me 19 years

Local 3482

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 09:02:49 PM »
It only took me 19 years

It only took me 9.....

:sry:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline time2hunt

• Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 09:13:50 PM »
Rub it in 😜

Local 3482

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 06:54:32 PM »
Did you guys fly up? I'm thinking maybe drive up because shipping meat and hides home seems intimidating and expensive.

Offline archery288

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 08:08:51 AM »
Did you guys fly up? I'm thinking maybe drive up because shipping meat and hides home seems intimidating and expensive.

I drove up.  Took 21 hours.  You have two options if you hunt with North River.  You can drive to Smithers BC and catch a charter flight  directly to their lodge from there, takes about 2.5 hours.  15 hour drive from Bonney Lake to Smithers. 

Or, you can drive to Tatogga Lake Resort on the Cassiar hwy.  (Awesome drive and lots of animals along the way.  Had black bears standing in the highway in numerous spots.) Takes an extra 6 hours.  But there you'll catch a little float plane and fly in about 45 min to their lodge.  I opted for this option just so I could see more country along the way, and I went up two days earlier than expected as they offered it if I drove all the way.  Otherwise you're stuck with their main flight from Smithers with the other group of hunters and you're in there the entire length of the scheduled hunt even if you kill on day one.  If you drive to Tatogga and kill early, you can fly out back to your truck and drive home early. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 08:25:41 AM »
I was checking out their price list, beyond that and your drive up costs (fuel, lodging, food) any unexpected expenses jump out at you? 

+50 bucks at Canada customs for your rifle (make sure you stop on the US side first to get a form stamped for your gun, so you can bring it back home)

Here's the price list

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 08:39:17 AM »
quite the road trip, not sure where the lodge itself is?

Offline archery288

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 09:10:14 AM »
It's not much of a lodge.  Restaurant and about 8 cabins you can stay in.  The Cassiar HWY is very desolate.  It's one of those there's not fuel for 100 miles so fill up here. 

And you still have the hunt cost itself added to that pricing.  They don't have the actual hunt costs on their site right now as they are making adjustments for 2018.  I believe a goat hunt is $14,000.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 10:05:21 AM »
It's not much of a lodge.  Restaurant and about 8 cabins you can stay in.  The Cassiar HWY is very desolate.  It's one of those there's not fuel for 100 miles so fill up here. 

And you still have the hunt cost itself added to that pricing.  They don't have the actual hunt costs on their site right now as they are making adjustments for 2018.  I believe a goat hunt is $14,000.

BC requires a guide for non-res goat hunt, right?

Offline washingtonmuley

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
I would go with Jason Bunch of Kodiak back country adventures. He is the man for goats!!

Offline Falcon

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 05:02:19 PM »

YES
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 07:10:19 PM »

Now that you've got one under your belt your a goat guy destined to take more huh???

That's actually something I'm kind of worried about.

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 07:26:03 PM »
Do it while you still can so you'll have something to remember when you cant.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 08:02:55 AM »

Now that you've got one under your belt your a goat guy destined to take more huh???

Maybe since I'm a big time goat guy now someone will sponsor me just so they can say I hunted with their outfit. Dunno...something I'm going to work on though. I'll have to have my wingman @Rainier10 there with me though.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 08:30:11 AM »
It's addicting for sure.  I got the bug just listening to Josh's build up to the hunt and after getting to go along I think I'm hooked.

I have always put in for Washington thinking it would be cool but after tagging along I really want to do it again.

I am sure to most $14K seems expensive but after going on a successful goat hunt I can tell you the memories are more than worth it.

I seriously can't quit thinking about what a blast it was and how beautiful the country that you are hunting in was.

I have hunted bears and fished in Alaska multiple times.  It is an amazing place and I can only imagine goat country would be spectacular.

Someone mentioned that if you are going to go goat hunting to be sure to hike and train alot in advance.  I don't think that can be stressed enough, goat country is brutal and if you are going to drop that kind of coin on a hunt you don't want to be held back because you weren't physically ready for the challenge.

Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline archery288

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 10:06:40 AM »

I want to go back and get one with my bow now.  The country up there is EXTREMELY addicting!  I didn't want to leave.  I love elk hunting and deer hunting down here, but there's something about that country up there that has be wanting to go back, bad.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 10:22:10 AM »

I want to go back and get one with my bow now.  The country up there is EXTREMELY addicting!  I didn't want to leave.  I love elk hunting and deer hunting down here, but there's something about that country up there that has be wanting to go back, bad.
Is getting one with a bow a feasible thing up there?  I know I was close enough to shoot one with a bow this year but this was my first experience and I think a lot of things went perfectly right for me to be in that position.  The most important one is I didn't have a weapon at the time and I seem to always get close if I don't have any means of actually killing an animal.  :chuckle:

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »

Is getting one with a bow a feasible thing up there?  I know I was close enough to shoot one with a bow this year but this was my first experience and I think a lot of things went perfectly right for me to be in that position.  The most important one is I didn't have a weapon at the time and I seem to always get close if I don't have any means of actually killing an animal.  :chuckle:

I've wondered that as well. Seems like it would add more difficulty than pretty much any other animal because of the terrain.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 01:01:55 PM »

I've wondered that as well. Seems like it would add more difficulty than pretty much any other animal because of the terrain.

Rick was 40 yards broadside and then 17 yards broadside to my billy Saturday. He could have smoked him with his bow...way easier than me having to shoot him with that darn rifle at 99 yards. That was tough.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 01:49:57 PM »
Oh I don't doubt people can do it, and know that people have done it. My only concern sneaking up to a goat in an Alpine area (a geographical feature  I wish I was more familiar with) is much much harder than a river bottom whitetail. That makes the accomplishment that much more rewarding but I battle with losing an opportunity due to my weapon selection.

I bow hunt but I don't consider myself strictly a bowhunter. My main goal in hunting is the harvest and consumption of an animal and while that isn't the only factor to success I switched to bow because of the more liberal seasons and the opportunity for a larger pool of legal animals.

I'd love to shoot a goat with my bow but I don't know if I would be happy limiting my options and feeling like I missed out at the end.

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 01:50:48 PM »
Mine was 33 yds broadside against the wind downhill. With a bow in WA. Is possible and Alaska appears to be possible as well as I've seen some "tv pros" do it. But who knows the scenarios they got into.

As rainier stated, physical fitness is a must as the terrain is unforgivable. If you're fitness is mediocre then you better have the mental fortitude to complete the task once you've started.
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 01:59:17 PM »
I'd love to shoot a goat with my bow but I don't know if I would be happy limiting my options and feeling like I missed out at the end.

If you've put in the effort and time and gave it your all who's to tell you you wasted a tag?

Jackelope and a couple others know I had a tag that I said I'd go bow or go home and I did. I prepped and prepped and prepped for the hunt and got shut out for the fires so I switched and gave it a last shot in a new blind area I hadn't known about.

I could've made the kill with my rifle easily but I wasn't after the kill, I was after the pursuit, the hunt, the experience.

I got that and ate the tag. It's only a waste if you didn't try. It's the individuals tags and they can define what they think a waste is. :tup:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 02:03:09 PM »

If you've put in the effort and time and gave it your all who's to tell you you wasted a tag?

Jackelope and a couple others know I had a tag that I said I'd go bow or go home and I did. I prepped and prepped and prepped for the hunt and got shut out for the fires so I switched and gave it a last shot in a new blind area I hadn't known about.

I could've made the kill with my rifle easily but I wasn't after the kill, I was after the pursuit, the hunt, the experience.

I got that and ate the tag. It's only a waste if you didn't try. It's the individuals tags and they can define what they think a waste is. :tup:

I have a metric crap ton of respect for you for that. A metric crap ton is a lot FYI. I get it too. At the point I was at, I would have been ok with eating my tag.

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 03:03:17 PM »

I have a metric crap ton of respect for you for that. A metric crap ton is a lot FYI. I get it too. At the point I was at, I would have been ok with eating my tag.

Well, I give 2 metric crap tons of respect for you as you ventured unto the wilderness in weather majority wouldn't if they had the chance. :tup:

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »
Bow hunting anything is tough. I don’t which would be tougher, a goat or a sheep. Since we are talking goats and I’m pretty much an expert now  :chuckle: what I have taken away from this season is I would take a bow a buddy and a gun just so I had the option if either were presented to me. Second I think a guide or at least a drop camp would be worth it. Having camp set up by someone else would allow you to focus on the hunt saving more energy for the hunt as well. Goat hunting is physically and mentally demanding. That is coming from a guy that was just on a hunt with what I would consider to be pretty good conditions.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 06:47:01 AM »
Getting ahead of myself but what did you guys end up doing for a mount? Is it easier to get it done there and shipped home finished or did you bring them back and have them done locally?

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 07:43:20 AM »
When I got a bear in Alaska I just went to a seafood processing plant and got frozen food shipping boxes to put the head and hide in and had them put it in their freezer for a day.  Picked it up on the way to the airport.  When I landed in Seattle I took it to Cedar River Taxidermy.  I really like the work that Rick has done for me over the years.  I have 7 mounts from him so I know what I am getting.  Just didn't want to hassle with finding a taxi up there that I was sure would do a good job.

Offline archery288

• Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 08:36:02 AM »
Getting ahead of myself but what did you guys end up doing for a mount? Is it easier to get it done there and shipped home finished or did you bring them back and have them done locally?

I brought mine back with me to have it done here.  I am doing a life-size mount of the goat bedded on a rock fixture.  My goat was bedded before I shot him and want to mimic that. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2017, 08:48:21 AM »
The cape is not as big as I thought it would be. Granted we didn't skin mine out for a full body mount but we did cape him all the way back to his hind quarters so almost the whole thing. It fit inside my pack...head and all.  I'd think it wouldn't be a huge deal to stick a full cape in a cooler or a cooler box for the trip home.

For the record...I didn't do a full body mount because I don't have room in my smaller house for that. I was told they're pretty gigantic when they're done. Like adding another full sized couch to your living room.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2017, 02:13:57 PM »

I brought mine back with me to have it done here.  I am doing a life-size mount of the goat bedded on a rock fixture.  My goat was bedded before I shot him and want to mimic that.

What's the footprint of your finished mount? I would like a bedded full body (until I change my mind again, for the goat hunt I haven't booked yet  :chuckle:) and I've heard they're huge and that they don't take up a ton of room.

I actually almost bought a Burlington northern goat mount when I was a teenager that was like four by two feet, but it had a pretty big base to it. I don't remember if it was a big goat or not.

Offline archery288

• Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2017, 03:10:37 PM »
I'm not sure, I just got the goat this year.  Probably be a bit before it's finished being mounted.  I am doing something like this picture.  I think it's going to be about 5 ft wide would be my guess.  The forms are around 56" from what I'm seeing. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »
Can't wait to see it when it's done, Jon. That's going to be amazing.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2018, 05:27:08 PM »
I'm starting to call outfitters to try and put together a hunt. Figured I'd bump this back up in case someone else had a recommendation

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2018, 05:31:01 PM »
Totally missed that mount a couple posts back.  Wow that is really cool.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2018, 06:52:02 PM »
Totally missed that mount a couple posts back.  Wow that is really cool.

Yes it is, it is also on my short list of poses for the goat I've yet to get on the hunt I've yet to book  :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal