collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Out of state mountain goat  (Read 9751 times)

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Out of state mountain goat
« on: October 24, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »
I have a rolling savings fund for my next hunting trip going but I had to cancel it when my dad backed out. I'm seriously considering a mountain goat trip in BC or Alaska as I'm sure I won't draw in Washington in the next two years.

Anyone have experience or know anyone who has hunted goats who can recommend a guide to go with or not to go with? I like the idea of a fly in Alaska hunt but I'm not set in stone on anything yet.

Offline USMC86

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Out of state mountain goat
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 02:56:59 PM »
Hi-

Only can share the perspective of one mountain goat hunt (but can compare to three other trips in Alaska). I went with Dan Montgomery of Alaska Trophy Adventures.  He was, without a doubt, the best guide/outfitter that I've used in North America....and far better than the other three I used in Alaska.

He operates in the Chugach range of Alaska.  The one disadvantage is you have to apply- he will put you in for the drawing so that part is convenient- and it is straight draw with no bonus or preference points.  The advantages are many...trophy quality on sheep is outstanding and very good for goat.  Arguably SE Alaska goats score better than goats in Dan's area- and BC would certainly be better- but I shot a B&C goat on the first day of the hunt that I was thrilled with.  The area is beautiful, with lots of glaciers, and he and his guides are responsible, thoughtful, professional...everything that you'd want in a hunt.  One small example...we got back to the tent around 10:00 pm after a very long day....pouring rain and cold/windy...my wife and I crawled into our tent, spent.  Dan stood outside in that nasty weather cooking us dinner with a grin on his face....he's an older dude but a beast in the mountains and yet very considerate to go at our pace.  Check him out on facebook, his website or give him a call...he should be done with his fall hunts and available.  Good luck with whomever you choose, and- I'm sure that you've heard this already- hike as much as you can before you go.  Goat hunting is no joke!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 03:42:47 PM »
@archery288

Care to share some insight?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline archery288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 06:21:08 PM »
I went with North River Outfitting out of Northern BC this year.  I would HIGHLY recommend their operation.  If your main goal is to just kill a giant Boone and Crockett goat, you need to look at the coastal range in BC.  If you want to do the fly-in deal and experience some of the most remote and gorgeous country there is, go in-land in BC in the Cassiar's where I went.  We were over 100 miles from the nearest road.  You'll see moose, stone sheep, caribou and maybe a griz on your hunt.  And a TON of goats.  They average a 9.5" goat with some bigger.  Mine was 10", 8.5 years old and will make B&C.  They had a goat a sheep hunter had killed when I got there that was 11.5 years old.  He was only 9 5/8", but the bases were massive. 

Ron and Maria with North River are two of the nicest people you'll meet; and hardest working.  They go up in May and start their prep all summer long living in the bush with their crew.  They scout all summer and start hunting stones in the end of July.  They know where the animals are and will put you on animals no question.  Their area can produce B&C animals in all the species they offer.  Goat, moose, stone sheep, caribou and grizzly.  They have a great crew with around 10 guides, camp cooks etc.  Everyone is extremely welcoming and there to help you have a great hunt and succeed.  You'll be assigned a guide and packer on your hunt.  If you kill early, you can hunt wolves or fish, or if you have a combo hunt you can start hunting for your next animal. 

Hunts are usually about 7 days for goats and 10 for other species.  You won't need 7 days to kill a good goat with them.  Take a look at their site here:  http://northriveroutfitting.com

Feel free to contact me if you want more info.   

Offline Falcon

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 06:40:01 PM »
Hi-

Only can share the perspective of one mountain goat hunt (but can compare to three other trips in Alaska). I went with Dan Montgomery of Alaska Trophy Adventures.  He was, without a doubt, the best guide/outfitter that I've used in North America....and far better than the other three I used in Alaska.

He operates in the Chugach range of Alaska.  The one disadvantage is you have to apply- he will put you in for the drawing so that part is convenient- and it is straight draw with no bonus or preference points.  The advantages are many...trophy quality on sheep is outstanding and very good for goat.  Arguably SE Alaska goats score better than goats in Dan's area- and BC would certainly be better- but I shot a B&C goat on the first day of the hunt that I was thrilled with.  The area is beautiful, with lots of glaciers, and he and his guides are responsible, thoughtful, professional...everything that you'd want in a hunt.  One small example...we got back to the tent around 10:00 pm after a very long day....pouring rain and cold/windy...my wife and I crawled into our tent, spent.  Dan stood outside in that nasty weather cooking us dinner with a grin on his face....he's an older dude but a beast in the mountains and yet very considerate to go at our pace.  Check him out on facebook, his website or give him a call...he should be done with his fall hunts and available.  Good luck with whomever you choose, and- I'm sure that you've heard this already- hike as much as you can before you go.  Goat hunting is no joke!

I haven’t hunted goat with Dan but have 2 good friends who have hunted sheep with him and have met him last year at the WWSF banquet.   Great guy and has a flawless reputation in the industry.  There is no way you could go wrong with him. 
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:31:15 PM »
Both of those look like top notch outfits!

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 08:52:14 AM »
It's refreshing to hear good reviews...

:tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 06:45:57 PM »
Just reading those wants me to plan a goat hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 07:16:30 PM »
Just reading those wants me to plan a goat hunt

I keep spiralling down the rabbit hole though and trying to figure out how to spend a month chasing goats sheep beats and moose. Thanks again for the two recommendations.

Offline time2hunt

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 07:51:35 PM »
For a little money up front and returned if not drawn Idaho has some of the best draw odds out there for there OIL tags.

Local 3482

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 08:39:03 PM »
For a little money up front and returned if not drawn Idaho has some of the best draw odds out there for there OIL tags.

Is that where the goat in tour avatar is from?

Offline time2hunt

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 08:40:35 PM »
No I drew goat rocks in  2015.

Local 3482

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 08:41:23 PM »
No I drew goat rocks in  2015.

Lol I've been trying but I'm not holding my breath for that.

Offline time2hunt

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 08:46:12 PM »
It only took me 19 years

Local 3482

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 09:02:49 PM »
It only took me 19 years

It only took me 9.....

:sry:

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand