collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Out of state mountain goat  (Read 9759 times)

Offline time2hunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: Out of state mountain goat
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 09:13:50 PM »
Rub it in 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local 3482

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 06:54:32 PM »
Did you guys fly up? I'm thinking maybe drive up because shipping meat and hides home seems intimidating and expensive.

Offline archery288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 08:08:51 AM »
Did you guys fly up? I'm thinking maybe drive up because shipping meat and hides home seems intimidating and expensive.

I drove up.  Took 21 hours.  You have two options if you hunt with North River.  You can drive to Smithers BC and catch a charter flight  directly to their lodge from there, takes about 2.5 hours.  15 hour drive from Bonney Lake to Smithers. 

Or, you can drive to Tatogga Lake Resort on the Cassiar hwy.  (Awesome drive and lots of animals along the way.  Had black bears standing in the highway in numerous spots.) Takes an extra 6 hours.  But there you'll catch a little float plane and fly in about 45 min to their lodge.  I opted for this option just so I could see more country along the way, and I went up two days earlier than expected as they offered it if I drove all the way.  Otherwise you're stuck with their main flight from Smithers with the other group of hunters and you're in there the entire length of the scheduled hunt even if you kill on day one.  If you drive to Tatogga and kill early, you can fly out back to your truck and drive home early. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 08:25:41 AM »
I was checking out their price list, beyond that and your drive up costs (fuel, lodging, food) any unexpected expenses jump out at you? 

+50 bucks at Canada customs for your rifle (make sure you stop on the US side first to get a form stamped for your gun, so you can bring it back home)

Here's the price list

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 08:39:17 AM »
quite the road trip, not sure where the lodge itself is?

Offline archery288

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 09:10:14 AM »
It's not much of a lodge.  Restaurant and about 8 cabins you can stay in.  The Cassiar HWY is very desolate.  It's one of those there's not fuel for 100 miles so fill up here. 

And you still have the hunt cost itself added to that pricing.  They don't have the actual hunt costs on their site right now as they are making adjustments for 2018.  I believe a goat hunt is $14,000.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 10:05:21 AM »
It's not much of a lodge.  Restaurant and about 8 cabins you can stay in.  The Cassiar HWY is very desolate.  It's one of those there's not fuel for 100 miles so fill up here. 

And you still have the hunt cost itself added to that pricing.  They don't have the actual hunt costs on their site right now as they are making adjustments for 2018.  I believe a goat hunt is $14,000.

BC requires a guide for non-res goat hunt, right?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline washingtonmuley

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
I would go with Jason Bunch of Kodiak back country adventures. He is the man for goats!!

Offline Falcon

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 05:02:19 PM »

YES
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 07:10:19 PM »

Now that you've got one under your belt your a goat guy destined to take more huh???

That's actually something I'm kind of worried about.

Online Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 07:26:03 PM »
Do it while you still can so you'll have something to remember when you cant.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 08:02:55 AM »

Now that you've got one under your belt your a goat guy destined to take more huh???

Maybe since I'm a big time goat guy now someone will sponsor me just so they can say I hunted with their outfit. Dunno...something I'm going to work on though. I'll have to have my wingman @Rainier10 there with me though.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 08:30:11 AM »
It's addicting for sure.  I got the bug just listening to Josh's build up to the hunt and after getting to go along I think I'm hooked.

I have always put in for Washington thinking it would be cool but after tagging along I really want to do it again.

I am sure to most $14K seems expensive but after going on a successful goat hunt I can tell you the memories are more than worth it.

I seriously can't quit thinking about what a blast it was and how beautiful the country that you are hunting in was.

I have hunted bears and fished in Alaska multiple times.  It is an amazing place and I can only imagine goat country would be spectacular.

Someone mentioned that if you are going to go goat hunting to be sure to hike and train alot in advance.  I don't think that can be stressed enough, goat country is brutal and if you are going to drop that kind of coin on a hunt you don't want to be held back because you weren't physically ready for the challenge.

Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline archery288

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2017, 10:06:40 AM »

I want to go back and get one with my bow now.  The country up there is EXTREMELY addicting!  I didn't want to leave.  I love elk hunting and deer hunting down here, but there's something about that country up there that has be wanting to go back, bad.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2017, 10:22:10 AM »

I want to go back and get one with my bow now.  The country up there is EXTREMELY addicting!  I didn't want to leave.  I love elk hunting and deer hunting down here, but there's something about that country up there that has be wanting to go back, bad.
Is getting one with a bow a feasible thing up there?  I know I was close enough to shoot one with a bow this year but this was my first experience and I think a lot of things went perfectly right for me to be in that position.  The most important one is I didn't have a weapon at the time and I seem to always get close if I don't have any means of actually killing an animal.  :chuckle:
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]