collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hard day today, 2nd year missed.  (Read 2052 times)

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Hard day today, 2nd year missed.
« on: October 25, 2017, 11:25:28 AM »
It is about this time every year that my brothers would start showing up for elk season. The one time each year we actually spent time together. In years past I would have been in camp before deer season looking forward to their arrival.
Sadly, I lost both of them in a short amount of time. One's last hunt was 2014, the others last hunt was 2015. I sat out 2016, just couldn't do it by my self that year. Here it is, season of 2017 and I am sitting at home again, Instead of picking up one brother at the air port and heading back to camp to wait on the other.
Instead of all the excitement that this time of year used to bring, the anticipation of adventure and being able to spend time with my brothers, I just feel a bit lost and sad. For years, this was always the best part of the year for me, It's what we did, what we looked forward to. I think my wife appreciated me being in the mountains for most of a month as well.
I didn't want this to be a downer story but I had to vent. The wife just doesn't get it.
Any way, as I sit here in my sorrow, I have decided that I am going to lobby my boys buddies to change our annual man camp in the mountains during summer, to Elk Camp in the fall next year. It sucks to sit home.
GOOD LUCK all !! Enjoy it while it lasts.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Hard day today, 2nd year missed.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 11:40:07 AM »
Condolences Gaddy.  Try to enjoy all the good memories from years past with your brothers, and make new memories with your buddies next year and into the future.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 11:40:16 AM »
Sorry you lost your brothers. If you need an elk camp to join, let me know. We'll figure something out.  :tup: The woods is a healing place.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 11:44:39 AM »
Sorry of your loss,  I think your idea to move the man camp dates is a good idea. 

:twocents:  If you are able I would get out at least for a day and wander some of the areas you hunted together.  Get fresh air and remembering some good times could pick up the mood a bit.  Try and get one of your boys buddies to go along for a hike/scout as a first step to being out at elk camp next year.

In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 11:51:05 AM »
Just know that those brothers are up there looking down on you. Sometimes its good to pull out the old photos and look at them remembering your favorite time of the year.  Tough times bring up good memories but sometimes missing others that have moved on to the clearing.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 12:12:12 PM »
Just know that those brothers are up there looking down on you. Sometimes its good to pull out the old photos and look at them remembering your favorite time of the year.  Tough times bring up good memories but sometimes missing others that have moved on to the clearing.

:yeah:

Maybe post a few on here and share some stories (memories) with us...
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline WapitiChaser

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 06:51:06 PM »
Gaddy, mister,  a have a big bro hug for you on your loss.   I have a giant yeah that with all the other hunting family here who have chimed in.

I would guess your brothers would think it a great legacy for you to start another camp with "the boys" and start them on their way to the joy and memories you shared with your brothers.

Hope to see your camp sign in the mountains next year!!  🌲🌲🔜
If hunting was easy, they'd call it killing....

Never judge a man til you walk a mile in his shoes.  That way when you do judge him, you will have a mile head start and he will have no shoes.

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 08:03:23 PM »
i feel your pain brother--i lost my lifelong hunting partner in the summer of 2016...i still "hunt" the same areas that we did---basically driving around in the area thinking about all the game we encountered and the good times we had...i finally loaded my gun this past Sunday after 6 days of "hunting"...not knowing if what i was doing was right-not caring if i ever killed a deer/elk  again because i feel guilty about being out in the woods trying to enjoy myself while he lays 6' under after taking two 12 gauge rounds for something that nobody deserves...i didn't know what to do to start the healing process but everytime we stopped somewhere that we had taken a deer with him i grab a handfull of dirt and inhaled the scent...to try and remember that moment and remember him...I still haven't got past his loss and miss him tremendously.  not trying to jack the thread but in my experience you will never get over the loss but you can move forward and honor them by taking others out hunting and sharing the stories you have with them.  Nothing could honor them more than sharing their memories and what they meant to you
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline dewandgin

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 08:29:33 PM »
Gaddy,
    My two brothers, my dad and I get together and go hunting almost every year. Two years ago dad had cancer and was going through treatment and couldn't go. I killed a bull but it just wasn't the same. The next year we all got together and went back to WY and had a awesome time. Dad is now 75 and I know there is going to come a day when he is gone or can't go or the same with my brothers. I have tried to pass it along to my son and my son-in-laws and they just don't have the desire. My condolences on your loss.

Offline jagermiester

• Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 09:35:06 PM »
Gaddy,
Thanks for posting here and sharing. Taking things for granted is an easy thing to do. I feel like I want to soak it in and make sure and enjoy the good that I have.

You on the other hand, if you are still able to do it I'm sure your brothers would want you to do just that. Maybe find a different area, maybe pick up bird hunting or really dive into fishing but keep going brother you know better than most your ability to enjoy the outdoors shouldn't be wasted.
Lead em if they're running.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 09:50:56 PM »
Lost my dad in 06 unexpectedly. He taught me how to hunt and fish and we always went together. I found it difficult to continue those hobbies until I realized that the last thing he would want is me to stop doing what i loved. It was bittersweet fishing and hunting without him, but I found comfort in continuing the things we had done together, and actually feel closer to him when I'm doing them. Especially on those tough days when you look up to the heavens and ask for a little guidance. I've had some amazing experiences since he passed away and I cant help but to think he had something to do with it.

Hang in there.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw