collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: JBLM Hunting Advice???  (Read 6520 times)

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
JBLM Hunting Advice???
« on: October 26, 2017, 05:36:48 PM »
Hey everyone, I live near Tumwater and I've been trying to learn new areas closer to home so I can hunt more and just be out in the wilderness AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. This is my first yr hunting the wet side and I was initially taken back by all the private land and needing special access permits and blah blah blah. That's just not my thing. Majority of the time I'm a solo hunter on public land and I love the solitude. All that being said, JBLM land was recommended to me recently and I've looked into it but before I go through the MWR process I'd love some info from people that actually have hunted on JBLM property. I'm in no way looking for anyone's honey holes just some insight. What type of terrain? Previous logging activities? Is it choked out? Is there a lot of hunting pressure? Is dealing with the check in check out a pain? Sorry for the long post guys, just looking for some knowledge and I can't just go out and check into things beforehand like I typically would. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
Re: JBLM Hunting Advice???
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 05:42:48 PM »
Tag
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 05:44:54 PM »
You may know this already, but you will need a passport to access the base.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Hunter
JBLM Hunting Advice😧
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 05:47:39 PM »
I didn't know that. If that's the case they need to update there form. Unless that's required to access the visitors center?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:55:17 PM by Stalkin Prey »

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
Re: JBLM Hunting Advice😧
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 06:00:33 PM »
It is a requirement just to get on base if you are a WA resident.  The std WA driver's license no longer meets federal requirements.  This will be affecting ability to go thru airport security at some point as well, they keep pushing out the deadline.

I didn't know that. If that's the case they need to update there form. Unless that's required to access the visitors center?

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 06:11:55 PM »
More and more red tape and restrictions. This wet side hunting has a TON of fine print.

Offline bowNarrow

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 06:29:36 PM »
Either Enhanced liscense or passport will work

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 07:16:05 PM »
Big blacktails on JBLM, access is spotty getting on the Training Area you want on any specific day.  But it is as good as any other public property even with the nuisances it presents.   

Offline gasman

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 07:19:14 PM »
And this year they raised the fee up for civilians to $50.
Gasman

It's 5 O'clock somewhere.......

Offline pygmy1985

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 08:17:42 PM »
It can be a pain to register, but depending on the time of year, there can be good opportunities. I live right next to Ft. Lewis and I have seen several bears, especially in Oct. some nice bucks, and elk. Now, I wouldn't necessarily spend my whole season trying to get one of these game animals on Ft. Lewis, but if it was a matter of convenience, and I didn't have time to travel, it's not a bad place to hunt. 

Offline 12Gauge

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 08:54:40 PM »
Big game at JBLM is only on weekends, ducks are all week unless the area is close for training.  Yup, 50 bucks if not associated with the base, as in DOD, Active Duty, Military Retiree.

NWAC normally has a board of last years harvest.  You can check that out and make your choice of area. 
Progressives are coming for your guns. 
What are you going to do?

Well me, I do not have any guns, gave away or sold them 15 years ago.

Offline ThomMedic

• Hunter
  • Groups: evergreen sportsmen club, little rock, wa
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 09:39:28 PM »
I recently read on a JBLM web posting to watch out for bears, which I took for a good sign on availability. I was scouting off of Spurgeon Creek Rd and saw a lot of bear sign. But that range is off limits, however the next range over, TA-20, which is mostly dense and hilly is almost always open. It is between other training ranges with old apple orchards, prairie, and garbage dumps. Except for duck hunters, I have never encountered another hunter on  JBLM any of the times I have hunted out there. May be I need to change the battery on my glasses.

JBLM makes more ranges available with more days to hunt when there is three-day weekend, usually a federal holiday. You can download a free app with the maps of the ranges, a bit of a hassle. They post each week what ranges are to be accessible for hunting or fishing.

Do make sure that you have the DL, vehicle registration, insurance, a hunting license, proof of hunter education if under a certain age, and gun information for all three places (post for gun registration, Northwest Adventure Center for the actual permission, and Range control for vehicle access. All three need the same information each time.

Let me know if you need assistance, I have access to the base as I am a retiree. Hope this is helpful.

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 05:22:42 AM »
I recently read on a JBLM web posting to watch out for bears, which I took for a good sign on availability. I was scouting off of Spurgeon Creek Rd and saw a lot of bear sign. But that range is off limits, however the next range over, TA-20, which is mostly dense and hilly is almost always open. It is between other training ranges with old apple orchards, prairie, and garbage dumps. Except for duck hunters, I have never encountered another hunter on  JBLM any of the times I have hunted out there. May be I need to change the battery on my glasses.

JBLM makes more ranges available with more days to hunt when there is three-day weekend, usually a federal holiday. You can download a free app with the maps of the ranges, a bit of a hassle. They post each week what ranges are to be accessible for hunting or fishing.

Do make sure that you have the DL, vehicle registration, insurance, a hunting license, proof of hunter education if under a certain age, and gun information for all three places (post for gun registration, Northwest Adventure Center for the actual permission, and Range control for vehicle access. All three need the same information each time.

Let me know if you need assistance, I have access to the base as I am a retiree. Hope this is helpful.
Thank you for your help and knowledge of the area. I'm gonna try jumping through the hoops and hopefully gain access. I don't have my passport or an enhanced license but I'm up for renewal in a couple weeks so I'll be trying that route.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 08:38:09 AM »

BRAC has resulted in KBLM Training Areas being used way more than they used to.  Three day weekends/federal holidays there is less training going on so that aligns nicely with sportsmen's desires to hunt over three day weekends. 

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal