collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: This land is no longer your land  (Read 4280 times)

Offline fireweed

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: This land is no longer your land
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2017, 07:58:16 AM »
I think a lot of these big timber companies are in large part also bluffing with their access permits.   In my county, a citizen needs a permit to walk or touch half the land in the county.   First off, state law required forestland to be conspicuously posted, and I doubt slapping a few signs on gates is legally sufficient when you own half a county with hundreds of miles of property line.   Do you really think a company has exclusive use of half of all the land--every road, every driveway, every acre? 

Behind the scenes these main logging roads have all sorts of easements on them with the state DNR.  Publically companies say those are for "forestry use only" but have they gone back and read them all?   I know where companies have had to roll back their permit areas because they were requiring permits on roads controlled by someone else.  Dig deeper and more of that is bound to be found.
My county auditor and assessor are putting those old documents online right now.  I've found one easement that crosses a couple miles of Big W and access a landlocked section of DNR.  Guess what, that easement (from the early 70's when they didn't care about regular folks using roads) says nothing about limiting the public or only being for "forestry use".  It says it is for "purposes of providing access to and from lands now owned or hereafter acquired by the state."   Nowadays companies make sure that they exclude the public specifically from new easements, but not older ones.  If you've got a landlocked piece you want to hunt, take a trip to the courthouse, check for any state or federal easements and carry a copy with you. 

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
Re: This land is no longer your land
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 07:22:12 PM »
I'll just add that here in the US we put such a high premium on unfettered, unrestricted fee ownership of land that the natural end result will be that in a couple hundred years (maybe even just 100) there will be much, much less public land and even worse access than what's happening now. The problem really has to do with us; humans are greedy and power hungry.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]