collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: It's called respect  (Read 16405 times)

Offline elkspert

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: It's called respect
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2017, 06:31:43 AM »
Myself and the guys I hunt with have been discussing this for years. Last year we made a coupe signs that said HUNTER WALKING ROAD and set it on a cone in the road right next to our truck that was parked on the side. This particular road was about 300 yards long with no other spurs off it. There were a couple of times after about 20 minutes after shooting light we heard a rig starting down the road until they reached the sign where we heard them turn around. We kind of look at it like were not blocking the road and if you want to be incociderent, non ethical, lazy piece of s#*t then drive in on us or go find one of the other many spurs to drive down. We use to block roads al the time as long as they only went to a single landing or it was a short road, but it seams with all the political crap going on things have changed. One day I blocked a road and started walking at first light, as I made my way to the landing there was a truck sitting there with a guy sitting on a stump smoking a cigarette. The road went right through the cut, so that meant his lights shined on pretty much everything in it. I just asked him if he saw a lot of nice bucks by driving in at dark and walking out to his stump and smoking until daylight, his response was " I am not after nice bucks" :dunno:...
I hope when I die my wife doesn't sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2017, 07:16:36 AM »
It's hard when there's so many Yahoo's out there who have no clue what they're doing. I spent the last week in Montana. We would take wheelers deep into the land and then hike from there. We found that nobody wants to do that. We saw in each person driving the trail in his truck (illegal and dangerous). He reeked of weed, had a kid with him that he was obviously teaching how to "hunt". He had no clue what he was talking about and thought that this huge chunk of private ranch down the hill was public. Every other person we saw was sitting in their truck, glassing the field that our camp was literally set up in. So I'm in both sides of the argument--people are dumb and invasive, but it can choose to go places where no one else does.
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2017, 08:12:54 AM »
Is hunting season over yet, this old argument is just as old and tired in 2017 as it was in 2009.

Either go to places without roads or get over yourself and realize roads are for driving.  This is truly your problem not an ethical dilemma. It was also my problem when it used to annoy me.  I simply changed how I hunt and how I respond to others.

Exactly right........
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2017, 08:20:07 AM »
[quote author=runamuk
Is hunting season over yet, this old argument is just as old and tired in 2017 as it was in 2009.

Either go to places without roads or get over yourself and realize roads are for driving.  This is truly your problem not an ethical dilemma. It was also my problem when it used to annoy me.  I simply changed how I hunt and how I respond to others.

Exactly right........

This is exactly what's wrong with society these days, other then a select few no-one cares anymore.   It's all about you. 

[/quote]

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2017, 08:32:31 AM »
Roads are for driving, not walking and hunting from.  Wipe it.

Well for the people who can't afford to go on guided hunts or have hundreds of acres to hunt without morons everywhere I'm gonna try be respectful as possible and hopefully it comes back to benefit me one day on public land.   

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2017, 08:36:39 AM »

Well for the people who can't afford to go on guided hunts or have hundreds of acres to hunt without morons everywhere I'm gonna try be respectful as possible and hopefully it comes back to benefit me one day on public land.

Interesting logic.  :o
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline spoonman

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2017, 08:44:11 AM »
I didn't hear anyone talking about guided hunts?! I can't afford a guided hunt but I can afford some time to do some research to get away from the roads and people.  It really simple actually to find area's that have little to no people around and especially no cars. Boots to the ground, Google earth, time in the field will get you to your own little piece of public land that is all to yourself. I do many different types of hunting ( backcountry, frontcountry, roads to little tiny shotgun only) all over. Find your spots that don't have lots of pressure and you'll have a better time whether you harvest or not.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2017, 08:46:46 AM »
I didn't hear anyone talking about guided hunts?! I can't afford a guided hunt but I can afford some time to do some research to get away from the roads and people.  It really simple actually to find area's that have little to no people around and especially no cars. Boots to the ground, Google earth, time in the field will get you to your own little piece of public land that is all to yourself. I do many different types of hunting ( backcountry, frontcountry, roads to little tiny shotgun only) all over. Find your spots that don't have lots of pressure and you'll have a better time whether you harvest or not.

Agreed and even if there is somebody there or somebody drives by, don't let it ruin your hunt. There is so much area to cover that its not worth letting it ruin your day. Like I said earlier, I would have ZERO issue driving by someone even if I knew the road ended around the corner. I have just as much of a right to the area as they do. If I saw them, I would give a wave and try my best to avoid them while continuing my hunt. If that is disrespectful then guilty as charged.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2017, 08:53:36 AM »

Plenty of roadless public land for everyone.

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2017, 09:12:36 AM »
I understand these points to a certain point ,I try to do my homework too the best of my ability and time availible to avoid other hunters on public land but if a plan doesn't Pan out accordingly  then sometimes I gotta park at a spur rd and do a spur  of the moment hunt and hope other hunters won't drive behind me even though they have a RIGHT  to do what they want, I'd hope they'd use there brain and give a hunter some space, but I guess I live under a rock and its irrelevant anymore these days.  :dunno:

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2017, 09:15:57 AM »
I understand these points to a certain point ,I try to do my homework too the best of my ability and time availible to avoid other hunters on public land but if a plan doesn't Pan out accordingly  then sometimes I gotta park at a spur rd and do a spur  of the moment hunt and hope other hunters won't drive behind me even though they have a RIGHT  to do what they want, I'd hope they'd use there brain and give a hunter some space, but I guess I live under a rock and its irrelevant anymore these days.  :dunno:

I think you are correct to an extent but for me, if i were in your situation, would be that if a hunter decided to drive by me that he would take it upon himself to be courteous towards you. Just because someone drives by doesn't mean they will immediately screw up your hunt. Now when people drive by me on closed roads, that is where I lose my mind.  :bash:

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2017, 09:23:51 AM »
You can play devil advocate all you  want, public land or not if I see a vehicle  parked on a road aka a spur rd, I'm plain and simple turning around  and trying my best not to disturb there hunt and going to another area of the 500,000 acres of "public land" that's out there. If I see a hunter parked at a gate  before i got there,waiting till daylight ill walk over to his vehicle and ask him if he minds if I go in after him or ask where he's going and go the opposite.  In my mind its common sense.

Take a deep breath there, Ruttn. He was only presenting a possible reason why even an ethical hunter would have done what he did. And there may be more. Once you get off the road on that public land, It's possible he hiked in the opposite direction and went a couple miles in, knowing he'd be nowhere near you. He might have a mineral block and cams in there. Maybe he felt, "damn, been scouting for three months and some jackwagon is going to be right on top of all my work!" The point is it is public land and there's a lot of it out there. It's possible you'd never have seen him again. You don't deserve to be there any more than he. If he showed up in your stand and refused to move, that might bother me but I'd likely just hike in further and find another spot.  :dunno:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2017, 09:27:13 AM »
S.S.D.D.  if any of you know what that means...................
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2017, 09:34:43 AM »
Today I had two guys block a road that wasn’t a spur. I opted to avoid confrontation but it pissed me off as the road they were blocking led to a big area with multiple places to go.

We were grouse hunting a few weeks ago and a guy parked right in the middle of the road we'd gone down to hunt. Couldn't get around him. Laid on the horn and he came down and moved it without even an apology. There are definitely jerks out there with no respect for others.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2017, 10:23:29 AM »

I think you are correct to an extent but for me, if i were in your situation, would be that if a hunter decided to drive by me that he would take it upon himself to be courteous towards you. Just because someone drives by doesn't mean they will immediately screw up your hunt. Now when people drive by me on closed roads, that is where I lose my mind.  :bash:

I give people benefit of a doubt when its an honest mistake, I've had it happen before an s it was  cool ... they guy apologized  not realizing that I was in there and backed out, happens all the time no big deal but when a guy deliberately drives behind me while I'm walking down a road that's straight as an arrow and he can see the end of the road and he's  just trying to be an ass I lose my mind.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal