collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: It's called respect  (Read 16406 times)

Offline b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: It's called respect
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2017, 04:08:46 PM »
Well this thread lasted longer than I thought it would.

My thoughts, don't expect so much from others it leads to disappointment and frustration.  Do your best to be considerate and friendly, you can only control your own actions. If it is illegal or dangerous call it in.  If you are unhappy with what you are experiencing find a different way to hunt the area or hunt somewhere else.

It is a pain finding new areas but it is possible.

Good luck to those still with open tags,
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2017, 04:12:31 PM »
Inconsiderate or not a lot of this falls into the category of dangerous behavior. If I know there is a hunter in an area I'm not going to enter that area because I would prefer to not be shot. I'm not talking about someone going crazy and shooting me on purpose either. I'm talking about someone taking and missing a shot on an animal and the round or arrow then hitting me.
Perhaps this specifically needs to start being addressed in the hunter safety courses.
:yeah:
I don't know about now but this used to be taught in the coarse, hunter ethics was taught also. Like I said, a lot has to do with how we as "adult hunters" are teaching our young ones. I take my 2 granddaughters and grandson out all the time(13, 11 and 6), they have been taught by me, my daughter and son-in-law to respect fellow hunters. You will never see them if they see you first unless if they offer to help or lend a hand as I said earlier :tup:

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2017, 04:45:45 PM »
I remember one year, My brothers and I got to a gated road, Parked and set out. We got to where we were going to hunt and set up. We thought we had the area covered pretty well. At day light these people came in behind us and Hiked on past. We talked a bit, they wished us well and went on. We didn't see them again all day long. About dark when we were meeting back at the PU, Here they come. All four of them were packing meat along with the game cart loaded.
We talked to them and I'll be damned If they haden't gone all the way into the bottoms where no one else had balls enough to go. We were in a couple of miles, They went way further. They had parked behind my truck. Hiked in farther than I would have, and were successful. Should I be pissed that we launched from the same spot??
They parked at the same end of the road. Behind me, after me, and walked past me to hunt.
All me and my brothers could do was congratulate them and wish we were younger. I have been where they went and would never do it again. Had they not passed us by, they would not have been successful. We weren't, but it was not their fault for going past us.

Offline big wood

• Longhunter
  • hit em on the high note
  • Groups: wsta,nra,mba
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2017, 05:05:50 PM »
I feel for you, one timein my younger years something similarhappened to me so I feel bad now but when he went around my truck I fired up my power saw and fell a nice 20" for across the road

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2017, 05:30:20 PM »
I remember one year, My brothers and I got to a gated road, Parked and set out. We got to where we were going to hunt and set up. We thought we had the area covered pretty well. At day light these people came in behind us and Hiked on past. We talked a bit, they wished us well and went on. We didn't see them again all day long. About dark when we were meeting back at the PU, Here they come. All four of them were packing meat along with the game cart loaded.
We talked to them and I'll be damned If they haden't gone all the way into the bottoms where no one else had balls enough to go. We were in a couple of miles, They went way further. They had parked behind my truck. Hiked in farther than I would have, and were successful. Should I be pissed that we launched from the same spot??
They parked at the same end of the road. Behind me, after me, and walked past me to hunt.
All me and my brothers could do was congratulate them and wish we were younger. I have been where they went and would never do it again. Had they not passed us by, they would not have been successful. We weren't, but it was not their fault for going past us.

Not at all, that's a great example of common sense , is a great big area makes sense for more then just you and your brother hunting in there right? 

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2017, 05:48:03 PM »
Inconsiderate or not a lot of this falls into the category of dangerous behavior. If I know there is a hunter in an area I'm not going to enter that area because I would prefer to not be shot. I'm not talking about someone going crazy and shooting me on purpose either. I'm talking about someone taking and missing a shot on an animal and the round or arrow then hitting me.
Perhaps this specifically needs to start being addressed in the hunter safety courses.
I don't know about now but this used to be taught in the coarse, hunter ethics was taught also. Like I said, a lot has to do with how we as "adult hunters" are teaching our young ones. I take my 2 granddaughters and grandson out all the time(13, 11 and 6), they have been taught by me, my daughter and son-in-law to respect fellow hunters. You will never see them if they see you first unless if they offer to help or lend a hand as I said earlier :tup:

Yes I remember taking my hunter ed class when  I  was11 and them teaching hunter ethics .. my son took it 5yrs ago and it was very little talked about but that kind of stuff is learned from us like you said in the field and luckily my son was with me last wknd when we had a bad experience and where able to talk about it and learn what not to do. 

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2017, 06:15:45 PM »
Well this thread lasted longer than I thought it would.

My thoughts, don't expect so much from others it leads to disappointment and frustration.  Do your best to be considerate and friendly, you can only control your own actions. If it is illegal or dangerous call it in.  If you are unhappy with what you are experiencing find a different way to hunt the area or hunt somewhere else.

It is a pain finding new areas but it is possible.

Good luck to those still with open tags,

Great thought thank you! Im just trying too get people to understand that we can all go out and have an enjoyable time each fall if we do the  simple things . Public land is public land its not gonna change, so if a small percentage of guys and gals think before we act it might turn out to be a better day for everyone along with doing a good deed it might come back and the roles be reversed. 

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2017, 09:05:01 PM »
I just read this whole thread for the first time. What in the world?????
If you are complaining about this change your own habits. You'll probably find something new that you can truly enjoy.

You know ,  I do truly enjoy hunting. Have you ever hunted western  wa? Ever parked your truck at a spur rd or small dead end rd to walk to the cut rather then drive? Has anyone ever drove down behind you while your walking into a area, if so how did you feel about it?  I'm not asking for a  much I thought , just that people would use common sense ,  Is that  too much to ask?  Or is it nonexistent ?  :dunno:

You know what Ruttin Buck I have hunted Western WA. I used to hunt wheyrhauser in fall city. What a zoo. Then I hunted Taneaum creek (zoo). Then I moved to MT and hunted around Dillon. Heaven on earth. Then I moved back to the West side for work and family and now I hunt public land in WA that I wish I saw more people in because it would get some deer moving. Because there was no way I was going back to that.
I did not write that to offend anyone I wrote it to inspire you to change your perspective. Its time bro, time to move on let those people that do that kind of thing that disappoints you have that area, and find something better. Or let em walk in front of you an position yourself in a place that works for you.
 :tup:
Lead em if they're running.

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2017, 08:57:06 AM »
I find it funny that blocking roads is acceptable to some people on here.  As if there is simply one area to hunt off dead end roads.  Maybe Ill block the road out ... dont want you driving by and disrupting my hunt.  :bash:

Im not saying to block the damn road i'm saying if I park  (not blocking )there wouldn't it be considerate thing to do to keep going rather then drive down a road that someone is already walking down??? I'd  like to say yes but what I've been gathering is nope people are gonna do what they want so pretty much get over it and deal with it.  Whatever im done, delete this damn post Its pointless anymore.
If you didnt say that then my post wasn't to you.  There are plenty of other people on here saying it.

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2017, 09:25:21 AM »
I just read this whole thread for the first time. What in the world?????
If you are complaining about this change your own habits. You'll probably find something new that you can truly enjoy.
:yeah: I used to hunt a fairly popular area where Id run into walkers, bird hunters, horseback riders, the occasional illegal ORV user, and a few hunters, who often were coming in late in the morning or coming out 45 min before dark.  I would expect to have my hunting interrupted at least 50% of the time.  Should have I complained about others use of public lands? No I was an adult and recognized I was putting myself in a position where I was going to be effected by other people.  I no longer, or very rarely go into those spots.  Instead I work hard to get away from people and have a much more enjoyable experience.

Offline Tinmaniac

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2017, 10:19:36 AM »
Some funny thinking around here.I say don't block the road.Don't expect people to not drive a road that you have chosen to walk on.Get off the road if you don't want to be driven in on.I love roads,why walk when you can drive?How does anyone know where you are at simply because your rig is parked on the beginning of a dead end road?If there are cuts down that road people are going to drive to them.There should be no expectation that areas on public land are exclusive to you alone.To those that think you can block a road I ask this.Would you park your truck and trailer in the launch to block it so no one else can launch after you?The most disrespectful people are those that think they own public land.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2017, 10:31:44 AM »
Some funny thinking around here.I say don't block the road.Don't expect people to not drive a road that you have chosen to walk on.Get off the road if you don't want to be driven in on.I love roads,why walk when you can drive?How does anyone know where you are at simply because your rig is parked on the beginning of a dead end road?If there are cuts down that road people are going to drive to them.There should be no expectation that areas on public land are exclusive to you alone.To those that think you can block a road I ask this.Would you park your truck and trailer in the launch to block it so no one else can launch after you?The most disrespectful people are those that think they own public land.

I agree with ya 110%
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline SCRUBS

• Longhunter
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2017, 10:33:26 AM »

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2017, 12:49:45 PM »
...on and on. 

I didn't even see one hunter in the woods the entire 2016 and 2017 season when I was in more than a fifty yards off a road - That's hunting in Kitsap, Mason, Ryderwood, Willipa Hills, and others.  I hear them drive by, then a moment later, no more noise, and I'm surrounded in silence again.  No problem.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Crunchy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2017, 01:04:26 PM »
Just made me think... there is a spot that I like to hunt on some private timberland I pay the fee to access.  There are a few spots that are gated.  There is someone that parks and leaves their truck at the gate for days at a time, in hopes no one else will park and walk in there to hunt.  His way of trying to claim the spot I guess.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal