collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone fire and blow a distress whistle in Bear Canyon on Saturday?  (Read 2104 times)

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
I was posted on a hill above Bear Canyon this Saturday afternoon, watching a cow on the opposite hillside (hoping she was the sentinel for a bigger group -- she wasn't, but that's beside the point). 

All the sudden I hear a shot go off from deep inside the canyon, followed by a person yelling something inaudible due to the echos.  I figured they were yelling to their hunting partners or something, but then they blew three long loud blasts on a whistle. 

I responded with the same on my whistle, and they blew 3 blasts again.  I figured someone was in trouble and started high-tailing it down into the canyon, but about a minute and a half later I hear the person yelling again "OK!  (inaudible) OK!"

I tried asking if they were OK and they seemed to say "Yes I'm OK, you don't have to come down here" but with the echos it was hard to make out. 

I hung out for another 15 minutes just above the canyon listening for any other action and didn't hear anything, so I headed back to the truck. 

I asked around by no one seemed to be aware of the situation.  Maybe a hunter shot a bear that got pissed and charged before finally expiring? Maybe someone fired to spook off a cougar that ran off when the whistling started?  I can't come up with a plausible scenario. 

Hoping the person in the canyon is on here so I can hear the story  :chuckle:

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
Re: Anyone fire and blow a distress whistle in Bear Canyon on Saturday?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 03:22:02 PM »
Maybe a 3rd party fired a shot at 1st hunter and he whistled to let them know he was human and not game? 

Good on you for being alert and making an effort to help someone out.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 03:29:25 PM »
Maybe a 3rd party fired a shot at 1st hunter and he whistled to let them know he was human and not game? 

Jeez.  I didn't even think of that.  The idea of 'accidentally' shooting at ANYTHING is totally foreign to me.  The next day I heard a guy shooting just above me, and as I was hiking out of the spot I saw a branched (5x5-ish) bull run out of the basin they were in.  Heard him swearing about thinking it was a spike. 

More people need to be out hunting.  But some people should not be allowed. 

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 05:19:41 PM »

Jeez.  I didn't even think of that.  The idea of 'accidentally' shooting at ANYTHING is totally foreign to me.  The next day I heard a guy shooting just above me, and as I was hiking out of the spot I saw a branched (5x5-ish) bull run out of the basin they were in.  Heard him swearing about thinking it was a spike. 

More people need to be out hunting.  But some people should not be allowed.
I agree with you on it being foriegn.  Honestly the stories of people getting shot at during modern is why I have always avoided modern season.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]