collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ear plugs  (Read 5668 times)

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
Re: Ear plugs
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 09:44:14 AM »
I am following this as my hearing is still very good and I cannot afford to compromise it. My son who is almost deaf used muffs for duck hunting which were great because he could also hear is hunting partners. He tried the ear buds but just like his hearing aides he constantly would lose them :bash:

I use earplugs always when shooting and have wanted something easier for hunting but usually have ear plugs on a string on my neck

Offline KopperBuck

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 10:02:05 AM »
I've wanted to wear them in the blind, but I'm a sound guy - does calling initiate the cancellation?

Offline Molon5labe

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 05:33:13 PM »
No better time than right now to purchase a suppressor for next season! Get the ATF wait started so you'll have it in time!

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2017, 05:54:28 PM »
I've wanted to wear them in the blind, but I'm a sound guy - does calling initiate the cancellation?
According to my son no calling did not cause them to muffle only shooting, or playing his drums.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2017, 06:36:35 PM »
Most of the noise suppressing electronic ear muffs engage with noise levels of approximately 85 decibels.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline fremont

• Scout
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2017, 07:27:57 PM »
I lost about 1/3 of the hearing in my left ear from a single shot that bagged a deer.  (7-08 with Varget.)  I'm right handed, and my right ear wasn't affected due to what the audiologist called the head shadow effect.  I had never thought of wearing ear protection before during hunting.  At the range, I always--and still do--double up with plugs and muffs.

People who say it can't happen with a single shot are wrong.  I'm proof.  In addition to profound hearing loss, I also have constant tinnitus in that ear and almost constant eustachian tube popping (like when you're trying to get water out of your ear after swimming).  Music will never sound the same again.  I struggle with conversations where there's background noise, like a restaurant.  I had to buy and wear a hearing aid due to my job.

I now carry serious custom made plugs, because I just can't take the chance of losing all hearing in that ear.  I have a friend who wears those plugs that are on the plastic band around his neck.  He can put them in each ear in about 3 sec.  Not as much protection as mine, but better than nothing.

If you still think you're bulletproof at least encourage juveniles to wear them.

Offline kball4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2017, 08:33:28 AM »
I have a pair around my neck ever since I put a muzzle brake on my rifle.

Online wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2017, 09:30:40 AM »
According to my son no calling did not cause them to muffle only shooting, or playing his drums.

:yeah:
The only products I've had issues with were Walker game in the ear plugs is the amplify so much you get lots of white noise and crackling while calling. I have 3 or 4 different brands of muffs but for me it's the Howard Leight.  The Howard Leight Impact Sport muffs allow me to hear while hunting and to hear others talking.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 09:36:45 AM by wadu1 »
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2017, 08:28:48 PM »
I dont like to when hunting, but have a few times.  I have pretty bad tinnitus from younger years target shooting without any protection, as well as hunting without protection, loud music, and a sim grenade going off by my head.  Im not that old and hearing in my right ear will basically completely cut out and have intense ringing for 10-15 seconds randomly.  I think my advice would be to carry plugs, and if you bump an animal and need to take a quick shot, do so.  If you are watching an animal for awhile and are setting up for a shot, throw them in.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]