collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: weapon of choice  (Read 1111 times)

Offline cohochemist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
weapon of choice
« on: November 01, 2017, 08:46:28 AM »
I will be hunting deep thick timber this weekend.  Weather forecast is calling for western Wa. finest; fog, rain, & snow (F,R,S).   I can choose between my Win. 270 or CVA 50cal muzzy.   I like the open sight and the bigger bullet the muzzy offers. However, the faster reload with the 270 is appealing also if I go with a heavy grain bullet.  Both will have issues with weather, possible wet powder vs guaranteed fogged scope therefore I am leaning towards my muzzy given that my longest shot might be 50yrds.    Any other thoughts to consider on my pro/con list???    What would the veteran hunters suggest? 

thanks

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: weapon of choice
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 08:57:51 AM »
The 270. You always know it will fire, no matter how much water went down the barrel. And, the scope is a huge advantage, even with shorter shots. I assume where you're hunting it will be 3 point minimum and that scope will enable you to determine what's legal and what's not, quickly. No messing around with binoculars when the elk are close and you need to be shooting, not trying to count points with your binos. Keep a dry rag in your pocket for drying off your scope if it gets wet, and keep scope covers on it until you see elk.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 09:04:22 AM »
 :yeah:  I'd take a gun that will fire every time vs. one that's questionable. Get some scope caps, stick cotton balls in there (to absorb moisture) and shut them. Leave them shut until you're ready to shoot. Keep a dry cloth or rag handy for back up.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 09:24:57 AM »
As a future plan.
I have scope rings that allow Me to still use the iron sights on My Remington Model 760.
In the fog and rain when things are close I can make a quick shot with no issue.
I had a group of bucks (4) everything from a spike to a large 4 point standing in the open with no way to shoot them. moisture got inside the scope and I had to just stand there and be frustrated. I now have a new scope, bikini water tight scope cover, and the option of still using My iron sights. I highly recommend them. Lastly You want to practice with them before the hunt so it's completely natural if you have to use them. Good luck on Your hunt.  :tup:
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]