collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Prepping for a snowy hunt  (Read 2921 times)

Offline Billy74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Prepping for a snowy hunt
« on: November 01, 2017, 01:53:05 PM »
With a recent post getting into snow prep I wanted to start a snow gear thread.  Headed up NE of Colville and am gonna need to pack a few extras.  Of course chains, shovel etc.  was thinking those clamp on boot traction things.  I'm not sure about adding my snow bibs because I thing they are too damn loud but my other option is just layering more.  What are some other snow essentials that you wouldn't take early season that make a snow filled hunt safer and more enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Prepping for a snowy hunt
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 02:26:47 PM »
Tent camping or trailer/motor home? One key is obviously watch the forecast.  Don't be taking a trailer/motor home back in rough country the day before a big storm is forecast (had a big storm hit once in Utah on opening night-next day over a hundred rigs literally had to be abandoned because more snow was on the way and they couldn't get out) Also, nothing like waking up in a tent with it collapsed down on you with heavy snow. Mainly, as I said in another thread, use common sense-think about the worst that can happen and be prepared.  Remember, those steep canyons you can go down in when it's dry or just raining can be hell to get out of when there's snow on the ground.  Little things like the stuff you leave out at night that can disappear in the snow the next morning or those shells you ejected disappear in the snow.  Ever spend a day in bright snow when it never occurred to you to bring sunglasses, makes for sore eyes that night. Ever shot a deer on a steep hillside only to watch him slide in the snow down into the bottom of the canyon or worse (happened to my brother) slide down and go off a fairly steep cliff?  Just little stuff like that (or big stuff if you are one them who had to abandon their rig until spring) that you just need to think thru.  Think thru a day of normal hunting and then picture what it would be like if you were in the snow-keep in mind a mountain blizzard is a heck of a lot more scary than just plain old fog.  Be careful and you'll enjoy it.

Offline Sumpnneedskillin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 02:31:53 PM »
If I hunt the morning come back to the truck for lunch type hunt a small thermos with some hot tea, cider, cocoa is a nice warm you up.  I also keep a small stove, small pot, water, a cup and tea/cocoa in the truck for when I get back.  I've used both the 1 burner attached to the small propane bottle and a backpacking stove.  I got back to the truck one time very cold and wet.  That cup of hot cider was a god send.

I like neck gaiters too.  While you're moving around you don't have to wear it but when you stop you can throw it on and it keeps the wind off the back of your neck and chin.  I've have several to include a couple of smart wool ones.
What's the most dangerous thing said in the US Navy? -- A Chief Petty Officer saying "Watch this s$%^!!"

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"
President John F. Kennedy

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 03:12:01 PM »
I do this all the time, but its particularly nice when its super cold. I have a very well insulated, 16 oz thermos mug with a safety latch to keep it form opening, that I fill with scalding hot coffee before I leave camp, and I tuck it into my pack. There is nothing like sitting in the cold for a few hours and then pulling that coffee out and taking a pull. Man it wakes you up!
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline wafisherman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 03:34:55 PM »
I prefer snow to rain any day. 

Dress in layers.  Hiking around can get pretty hot, and you DON'T want to get your clothes all sweaty.  Once you stop moving, that sweat\water will freeze and\or cool you down very fast.  So wear layers and be ready to vent and strip outside or even inside layers as needed.

Also, breathable fabrics help prevent that moisture build up.  Again, moisture is your enemy.  Avoid it.

Avoid cotton - stick with good moisture wicking materials - especially your base layer.

Be ready to stay the night - so always have your pack on you, and carry the 10 essentials.

Extra chemical pocket warmers are good to have if needed.  I typically tent camp and having one down by your toes can be nice.  Add more if it get's REALLY cold. 

Again, avoid moisture in your tent - especially your sleeping bag (condensation from the walls or floor or just accumulations on the bag from the air over night - make sure your tent is breathing). 

I always put on clean dry base layer before going to sleep.  If you are getting cold, sleep in a warm stocking cap. 

Good boots and socks are a must.  Gators also really help. 

A kid's sled can make dragging a deer (or injured person) quite a bit easier.

If you plan to sit, make sure you have something insulated to sit on.  Same for sleeping.  The cold ground will suck your heat away - so have a good insulation layer under you. I sleep on a cot and then have a thermarest on top of that for extra padding and insulation.

Don't skimp on fire starter.  I typically make my own with TP, Paper towels, or cotton balls and Vaseline. 

Make sure folks know where you are headed.  Leave a note in your car - especially if you change plans.

Make sure you have fresh batteries for any electronics (headlamp, flashlight, etc) and have spares handy.

Some sort of goggles can be handy if wind really starts whipping.

Chapstick.

Stay hydrated.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 03:42:44 PM by wafisherman »

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 03:45:27 PM »
All good thoughts.

I always remember to reset the mouse traps and stock the wood stove in the middle of the night as well.

Offline Billy74

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 03:47:05 PM »
Forgot about sunglasses in the snow.  Good tip

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 04:23:56 PM »
Make sure you have a way to dry clothes.  I also pack a sled in addition to the game cart and the normal shovel and survival stuff in the truck.

Offline Billy74

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 04:46:55 PM »
What are some good ways to dry clothes.  I have my little propane heater and a fire.  Is here an easier way

Offline Billy74

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 04:49:07 PM »
And if you shoot a mile or more from camp do most guys head back, grab the cart/sled then hike back to the deer.  My plan was to quarter in the field and haul it on my back hopefully in one go. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 04:57:41 PM »
And if you shoot a mile or more from camp do most guys head back, grab the cart/sled then hike back to the deer.  My plan was to quarter in the field and haul it on my back hopefully in one go. 

I would carry it out on your back assuming you had a proper pack.
I'd do layers. Gaiters to keep snow out of my boots and keep my pants dry. Sunglasses. I'd put a saw in your truck so if a tree is across the road it doesn't ruin your hunt. If you're doing traction spikes on your boots, get the Kahtoola Microspikes. Sunscreen. If it's cold enough to justify, I bring my backpack stove, water filter, a starbucks via for some coffee and a mountain house meal but I don't like going back to the truck.  Have everything with you so you're not limited. A thermos of coffee is handy, but heavy if you're planning on not being close to the truck.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 06:15:47 PM »
I lived in Curlew for 16+ years and never once used chains. If you're not versed in NOT where to go, don't go. I never had any trouble getting around and if it was getting, iffy, I turned around.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 07:54:49 PM »
I lived in Curlew for 16+ years and never once used chains. If you're not versed in NOT where to go, don't go. I never had any trouble getting around and if it was getting, iffy, I turned around.

I love the curlew area. I plan on retiring there.
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 08:22:04 PM »
Wool bibs, worth thier weight in gold, my deer area for the last two years has had snow. And all I wear is wool bibs with wicking layers , and have never been cold.

With a down jacket for top outer layer. Snow falls right off.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:49:54 PM by Boss .300 winmag »
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline BKMFR

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: WSF-Life member, F4WM, ITA, RMEF, MDF, ABF-Life member
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 08:46:45 PM »
No chains in Curlew? You killing any big bucks?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]