collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pac boots?  (Read 4930 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Pac boots?
« on: November 03, 2017, 08:56:07 AM »
Been thinking about buying a pair of pac boots. Never owned them aside from the typical Sorel's and am looking for input. Just plan to use them for maybe some cold weather hunting, sledding with kids, general winter use. I was looking at the Schnee's Hunter II's but am open to other options. I don't mind paying a little for them because really they'd see limited use and will hopefully last a long time.
https://schnees.com/hunter-ii/

Thanks in advance.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Pac boots?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 09:05:05 AM »
I have had 2 pairs of White's Boots, the bowhunter (non-insulated) and their insulated pair.  LOVE the air bob soles.  Very warm and have lasted me several years.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 09:25:15 AM »

:yeah:  Have extra felt liners if you choose these. Not because they will leak but your feet might sweat from the warmth.  :chuckle:

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 09:45:23 AM »
Id like to try the Whites and Schnees out and see how comfy they are.  I have heard some complaints about hiking in pac boots all day, but there are times its so cold I cant wear thick enough socks to stay warm with my Kenetreks.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 10:53:00 AM »
I've had my White's Pac boots for the better part of 15 years and they've been great.  I got the ones with the Thinsulate liner because they didn't seem to be quite as bulky and they've always been plenty warm enough for me but I believe the ones with the felt liner are supposed to be a bit warmer.

As another option for cold feet, the insole heaters work very well.  My wife skis on avg. 20+ days per month during the ski season and cold feet used to be an issue with her, until I installed boot heaters in her insoles.  They also make heated insoles but she has custom footbeds in her ski boots so I went with boot heaters.  They are very easy to install, it's just a paper thin little heating element that goes under the ball of your foot then you cut a slit for the wire to go under the insole/footbed and route it up the side of your boot.  The batteries are relatively small and the good ones are Lithium-ion.  They clip to the top of the boot cuff and depending on the setting and which battery you have, will last all day.  The good ones aren't cheap but they do work very well.

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 11:41:29 AM »
Hoffman  :twocents:

Online follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 05:00:57 PM »
On my way to North Dakota 2 weeks ago I stopped in Bozeman and bought a pair of Schnee’s hunter 2s. They are incredibly comfortable & very supportive of my feet. The service I got there was top notch.

Offline GurrCentral

• Scout
  • Groups: GurrCentral
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 05:11:09 PM »

Offline Mossy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 10:40:19 AM »
Been thinking about buying a pair of pac boots. Never owned them aside from the typical Sorel's and am looking for input. Just plan to use them for maybe some cold weather hunting, sledding with kids, general winter use. I was looking at the Schnee's Hunter II's but am open to other options. I don't mind paying a little for them because really they'd see limited use and will hopefully last a long time.
https://schnees.com/hunter-ii/

Thanks in advance.

I had a custom pair made by Hoffman. It's the lineman PAC mixed with the outback. I chose a different length upper as well as color. Here's an idea of the outback
http://www.hoffmanboots.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=OUTBACK

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 12:19:52 PM »
Love my Schnees. A little heavy but very comfortable and warm.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline fillthefreezer

• Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2017, 06:11:44 PM »
i too am interested in this topic. i like the idea of a boot with removable liner, but still want something i can walk 10 miles in

Offline Hunting Cowboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 06:44:08 PM »
I have a pair of Schnee's with 10 inch tops. I bought these in 2005 or 2006. I mainly wear these when hunting in snow. However, I do wear these regularly around our farm in the winter for doing chores. I highly recommend them. I will definitely purchase another pair probably next year. These boots are my go to boots in the winter months when it rains and snows so they kick around on the back porch as I wear them twice daily for doing chores. I am just now starting to see some deterioration of the rubber due to excessive exposure to sunlight as these were stored outside in the open all summer. I have owned both whites and Hoffman pacs and although they were well built and lasted a long time, I found them to be a little heavy compared to the Schnee's. As you can see, after all the years of use, the soles on these show little wear.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 06:50:42 PM by Hunting Cowboy »

Offline HuntnFishnRyan

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 06:52:44 PM »
I'd get something with the BOA closure system instead of laces. With cold numb fingers you don't want to fumbling around laces that got pulled loose from sticks and branches. At least try it out if anything. Its fast and easy.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 07:23:37 PM »
I have a pair of Hoffman caulk pacs. I have worn them when the weather was hovering near freezing and they are miserably hot. Also if you are exerting yourself.
I have not been able to ever get the leather to turn water either.
Other then that I like them. For real cold I would say  :tup:
Bruce Vandervort

Offline L8NITE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 07:51:49 PM »
Tried a pair of whites...they were ok. Bought a pair of Schnees and have never looked back. I can hunt in them all day and have had no issues! They are a great boot and I highly recommend them  :twocents:
"The Hunts not over!"

Offline Stickerbush

• Sourdough
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 08:31:09 PM »
Two questions

1. Are pack boots more ideal for hiking than insulated rubber boots or muck type boots? Seems like a 1200 gram rubber boot is a lot cheaper
2. What is the comparison of pac boots to say a 400 gram thinsulate?
Coastal Perspective.

Online follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 01:53:47 PM »
Pac boots like the Schnee's are better, in my opinion, because they lace up and provide better support. The Schnee's have a liner made of thinsulate and wool felt. Mine are very warm. he have a model that also has thinsulate molded into the rubber foot part of the boot. I have a pair of Muck boots that I like, a lot, but if there's a bunch of hiking in the day, it's the Schnee's hands down.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 04:20:35 PM »
From a support standpoint, rubber boots that I've worn have none. These include Muck boot type boots.

My hiking/hunting boots are 400gm thinsulate. Pac boots that are truly pac boots are way warmer.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 05:21:25 AM »
From a support standpoint, rubber boots that I've worn have none. These include Muck boot type boots.

My hiking/hunting boots are 400gm thinsulate. Pac boots that are truly pac boots are way warmer.
I bought a pair of the schnees hunter 13" packboot recently. Last weekend I put them to the test on a hunt. We hiked over 6 miles in pretty steep terrain. My feet stayed warm. With hardly any sweating, and the support on the feet and ankles were great. Very comfortable boot.
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2017, 07:42:29 AM »
I have the schees in both std and 1000 gr thinsulate. I prefer to hike in my Kennetreks and stick the heat pak toe warmers on if its really cold out or sitting a lot. Use schees for riding horses, stands , and camp chores. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 07:22:24 AM »

I bought a pair of the schnees hunter 13" packboot recently. Last weekend I put them to the test on a hunt. We hiked over 6 miles in pretty steep terrain. My feet stayed warm. With hardly any sweating, and the support on the feet and ankles were great. Very comfortable boot.

Good info, thanks!
@fillthefreezer

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2017, 08:49:05 AM »
Love my Schnee's broke them in on an Kodiak Brown Bear hunt.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]