collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coyote calling  (Read 2100 times)

Offline sjhgraysage

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Coyote calling
« on: November 03, 2017, 03:59:55 PM »
I have called in a few over the years using one of two calls. My first call is a Weems dual tone distressed rabbit with a squeaker on it. It worked but is fairly low volume.
My second call I think is an old Lohman "Circe" call, which is a bit louder. My youngest son wants to get out and try calling coyotes this fall and winter. I'm thinking I may need another call.

My question is if I'm looking at getting another call what should it be?
Where we hunt and have land to hunt on it is open sagebrush and farm land, there doesn't seem to be a lot of rabbits of any kind around. Occasionally we might see the odd cottontail, but it seems like jackrabbits have disappeared. There are coyotes, we saw three different ones during a quick morning deer hunt a couple weeks ago.

What are you successful coyote callers using?
thanks!

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Coyote calling
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 07:44:12 PM »
I personally have gone to open reed calls as I've had too much trouble keeping closed reed calls working in the winter,   Succesful open reed calls for me have been Sceery, Verminator, Carver, Tony Tebbe and our own Bearmanric which are some of the best calls out there.  Ric's closed reed is a nice call also and I've done well with it also.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline pashok23

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 12:18:35 AM »
Just get a Foxpro,and you're good to go.Many sounds  to choose

Offline BKMFR

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: WSF-Life member, F4WM, ITA, RMEF, MDF, ABF-Life member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 04:53:28 AM »
Go with whatever call looks good to you, would be my advice. I have the majority of calls that are on the market, plus a large number of custom calls-250+... closed reed, wood, plastic, metal, calls made out of rifle brass, you name it, and I still can't pass on a new one.....once I call a coyote or bobcat in, I retire the call to a glass display case and then go to anything new I can find, bottomline they all have worked, if I had to choose just one "over the counter call" it would be one of the Dan Thompson calls- personal likes... Have fun with them all though, try Fox pro they work great for electronics- I started with a Burnham Brothers record player, but that was many moons ago.... You will find that it's not the call or the camo, it's more the approach to your stand, wind, lack of movement, all the little details.... do those right and they should come.....  Good Luck, and don't give up!

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 03:18:34 PM »
Your old calls will work fine, its how you play them. get one of Ricks calls or another. hunt hard,  sneak around. I do not buy into sounding like rabbits or any other animal, just weird, painful wailing sound makes em curious and here they come. :)
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 04:53:24 PM »
MFK all the way. Diaphragm call frees the hands up, doesn't freeze, and you can make all sorts of sounds. Howls are awesome and if you look up MFK on YouTube you'll see they're the real deal. Also icotec are much better then foxpro in my opinion. Foxpro grew so big that now they send out crap and customer service just wanted me to get a newer pricier model. Icotec on the other hand tried to figure out which caller would suite me best and let me know where the best buy was. I went for a MFK edition gc500 off mfk's website, like their sequences they load up.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 10:46:58 AM »
Not true I know a lot about FoxPro. Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline tlbradford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 01:29:59 PM »
My favorite off the shelf hand call is the Syco Tweety.  Very versatile, small, inexpensive, and not much air required. 
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline AJ Howard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • Albert Jess Howard Jr
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 09:14:46 PM »
A couple years ago I bought the Primos Turbo Dogg electronic call and it has a huge variety of sounds for relatively cheap. You can also download more calls to it. So you can choose the call based on the coyote feed you have in your area. The cool thing I really like about it as well it is a big range for volume and it has sets of calls called "Expert Hunts". I just click the hunt cadence that I want and it plays for 25-30 minutes and then is done. About as long of a set you want to do in one area before moving to another spot to call. Great call. Harvested a few coyotes with it. You can see it at work on my YouTube channel - unbounded Pursuit. Cool video using the call and getting a coyote just a week and a half ago!

A.J. Howard
@Unbounded_Pursuit

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal