collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Robots & Hunting  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Robots & Hunting
« on: November 03, 2017, 09:39:52 PM »
No matter your position on this topic, I hope it spurs an important discussion related to emerging technologies and the approaching threat to our tradition of hunting, fishing & conservation.

http://crrnt.co/robots-and-drones-are-just-the-beginning/

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: Robots & Hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 07:51:02 AM »
Interesting.

The next 5-10 years will see some of the most innovative and evolutionary disruptions we have seen thus far in our industry. There will be more technical connections, more business automation, and more significant impacts directly affecting the “business of hunting” than ever before.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 08:05:00 AM »
It's an interesting article but I'm not worried too much about high tech coming full steam into the hunting world. For crying out loud, it took 10 years for lighted nocks to be accepted. WA will certainly take regulatory steps to keep drones and robots out of the picture. I'm more concerned about the increasing emphasis on predator introduction and protection than I am about high tech. That's where hunting's demise will take place and it's already well on its way.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 12:24:43 PM »
It's an interesting article but I'm not worried too much about high tech coming full steam into the hunting world. For crying out loud, it took 10 years for lighted nocks to be accepted.

The rate of innovation in hunting in the next 10 years will surpass the products and tools we've seen evolve in the last 50 or more in our sport.

Thanks for reading and appreciate your perspective.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 12:40:06 PM »
When do we get the climate controlled, strength multiplying exo-skeleton that can be powered for the entire hunting season?  I'd like to be able to just pick up a bull and run back up the mountain and then straight home.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 12:53:43 PM »
When do we get the climate controlled, strength multiplying exo-skeleton that can be powered for the entire hunting season?  I'd like to be able to just pick up a bull and run back up the mountain and then straight home.

You don't one yet?   :dunno:

Got mine last month.....  :IBCOOL:
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 01:01:33 PM »

You don't one yet?   :dunno:

Got mine last month.....  :IBCOOL:

You might've gotten yours in May if you're working at Lowe's - https://consumerist.com/2017/05/15/lowes-robotic-exosuit-will-help-workers-lift-heavy-stuff-possibly-fend-off-aliens/. Still in beta.  :yike:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 01:04:33 PM »
It's not 1 single thing or another. It's a combination of all the things in today's world that will affect hunting.
Robots, drones, lighted nocks, trail cams, social media, you name it.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 01:05:02 PM »
It's an interesting article but I'm not worried too much about high tech coming full steam into the hunting world. For crying out loud, it took 10 years for lighted nocks to be accepted.

The rate of innovation in hunting in the next 10 years will surpass the products and tools we've seen evolve in the last 50 or more in our sport.

I don't doubt that. I just don't think these "innovations" will be accepted by the state wildlife agencies for legal hunting. There is already movement to outlaw the use of drones for hunting and harassing wildlife.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 01:06:24 PM »

I don't doubt that. I just don't think these "innovations" will be accepted by the state wildlife agencies for legal hunting. There is already movement to outlaw the use of drones for hunting and harassing wildlife.

They will be legal somewhere. Maybe not here, but somewhere. Then somewhere else, then somewhere else, then.....
Refer to your lighted nocks comment...
(I'm not opposed to lighted nocks for the record)
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 01:15:35 PM »

Drones will be easy, Blockchain and AI will be among the biggest threats imo...

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 01:16:54 PM »
It is already happening to a relatively small degree. GPS, laser rangefinders, cellular trail cameras, and satellite imagery are a few examples of technologies which have impacted hunting and didn't exist 30 years ago. When AI gets integrated into these and other tools, it will create a new wave of ethical dilemmas.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Netminder01

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 11:26:04 AM »
Here's a video that breaks down the basics of Blockchain in a digestible way - https://futurism.com/videos/blockchain-the-foundation-of-the-future/

Offline BNAElkhntr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Life member NRA, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, SCI
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 12:06:01 PM »
Your Going to lose your Non Self  Driving combustion engine Truck before a Robot is allowed :sry:

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 12:09:29 PM »
I'm actually looking forward to the self driving truck.  It could drop me off at one spot and I could get picked up in another.  It could go park back somewhere that tweekers aren't prowling and mice aren't exploring.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]