collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New glass dilemma?  (Read 2783 times)

Offline tonymoe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
    • Goatrocksadventures.com
New glass dilemma?
« on: November 05, 2017, 07:50:35 AM »
Pulling the trigger on new glass in 10x42. I can't seem to tell the difference between  swaro slc hd and lieca tinovid? I spent an hour looking through both "inside" the store. I know what the swaro's can do out in the field, but I don't know about the lieca's?
Course the only difference I could manage to see was the price difference. Anyone else here have the same problem?
Money is not an issue, I was dead set on swaro for the last couple of years until I pulled up those lieca's.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
Re: New glass dilemma?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 07:53:08 AM »
Definitely a preference thing. I have a friend that swears by his Leica's but I love my Swaro. Don't think you can go wrong with either.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 07:56:22 AM »
They both make outstanding products. If you can see no difference I would select the less expensive of the two. When comparing alpha glass the differences are small, and different individuals will see things differently. What that means is you are the best judge of which ones to get.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline jjhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Aim small. Miss small.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 08:03:08 AM »
The SLC HD is a lot of glass for the money.  I would buy green not only for performance, but also, for resale.  If you ever decide to buy an EL or 2 in 1, green will hold its value in the used market.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 12:54:07 PM »
We own Leica, Swaro, Zeiss, Nikon Edg - it is an ergonomic & optical preference and price difference thing when you get to optical instruments of this caliber.  There just isn't a lot of difference in resolution and freedom from distortion.  The one thing to keep in mind is that some people experience a weird "rolling ball" sensation when panning when using some of the high end glass that incorporates a "field flattener" lens group.  The only way to know if you experience that is to try them.   

The best indoor place I know of to try one binocular against another for low light is to look into the dark back corners of the laser shooting gallery at Lacey Cabelas.

Offline frazierw

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 12:56:38 PM »
We own Leica, Swaro, Zeiss, Nikon Edg - it is an ergonomic & optical preference and price difference thing when you get to optical instruments of this caliber.  There just isn't a lot of difference in resolution and freedom from distortion.  The one thing to keep in mind is that some people experience a weird "rolling ball" sensation when panning when using some of the high end glass that incorporates a "field flattener" lens group.  The only way to know if you experience that is to try them.   

The best indoor place I know of to try one binocular against another for low light is to look into the dark back corners of the laser shooting gallery at Lacey Cabelas.

The rolling ball effect is no joke.  I get car sick pretty easy and with my Vortex Razor's i get that motion sick feeling when i use them on the tripod.  I now take dramamine every day before i hunt.

Offline ffbowhunter

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 01:49:41 PM »
Have you thought about Mavens? I love mine and you can demo them for two weeks. Half the price of Swarovskis!

Offline tonymoe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 06:10:36 PM »
Have you thought about Mavens? I love mine and you can demo them for two weeks. Half the price of Swarovskis!

I think I checked them out at the sportsman show last year, but didn't know too much about them

Offline ffbowhunter

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 06:45:15 PM »
I have the 9x45 b2 and they are unbelievable you will not be disappointed. Nothing at 1k compares. Just bite the bullet and demo them and go out when it's low light, nice and bright and crisp!

Offline Ingwe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 09:35:06 PM »
I have swaro 10x42 EL that I like for longer range glassing. Also have Leica 8x32 ultravid which I really like hunting in timber but they work for long range glassing also. The Leica is only 19 ounces. Both great glass. Can't go wrong with either brand.

Offline redi

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 12:39:57 AM »
You cant go wrong with swaro or Leica or even Zeiss. Mostly preference.

Offline tonymoe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 07:24:40 AM »
I've heard many times that the mavens are great glass except in low light conditions. And that is the main reason I'm upgrading. My glass now are the Burris euros, which weren't cheap and they are no longer available.
Thanks for all the info, I will be pulling the trigger this weekend so I can put them to good use during late buck!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 07:47:27 AM »
Whatever you choose, check out B&H Photo for pricing. As far as your dilemma is concerned, if the only noticeable difference is the price, I think you have your answer already.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline ffbowhunter

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 07:51:36 AM »
Yes swaros have a slight edge but mavens are still great in low light, with there price point and warranty I will never own swaros again. I'm hooked!
I've heard many times that the mavens are great glass except in low light conditions. And that is the main reason I'm upgrading. My glass now are the Burris euros, which weren't cheap and they are no longer available.
Thanks for all the info, I will be pulling the trigger this weekend so I can put them to good use during late buck!

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 08:35:12 AM »
Yes swaros have a slight edge but mavens are still great in low light, with there price point and warranty I will never own swaros again. I'm hooked!

They impress me as in the same class as Vortex Razor and others that are not in the Alpha class, but are pretty impressive.  There are some outstandingly good binoculars at that price point, Leica Trinovid is one of them that I have always been rather partial to. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal