collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: World Famous  (Read 8830 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
World Famous
« on: November 07, 2017, 08:51:04 AM »
99% of my photos have been taken in Washington state.  People just assume if its a big buck it didnt come from here.If it makes you feel better to think that, go ahead.   Lots of people ask, and  I have chosen to ignore most as I wont disclose what unit or where any of my deer have been photographed.  Its how I respect the deer, the tips I get and the units people hunt. I hope you dont take offense. That being said, I decided to fill a bucketlist item this year.  It was especially a good year for it with things so bad here in Washignton.  I did an out of state hunt with my camera in Utah.  I went after a very famous buck.   Images of him will be popping up on your feeds all over social media this fall.

Well I had a great hunt for him.   I began keeping an eye out for him while hunting other bucks and familiarizing myself with the area.  I found a couple good ones to photograph.  They most likely will grace my calendar this year even though they aren't Washington bucks. This particular afternoon  I had a great shoot with two other bucks I had discovered and patiently waited to photograph.  I finished with them and was returning back towards my camp.   I seen this wall of photographers.  There were no less than 30 of them all pinned on an object in the deep Phrag grass.  It was obvious a big buck had their attention.    Double D was hiding out.  This was not my type of show but  I hesitantly joined the fray, standing off to the side. Honestly it was kind of intimidating.  Soon several of the photographers broke out of the group and joined where I was standing all in the hopes DD would exit before nightfall.   After a long wait i gave up and I headed back to camp.   I knew of course where I was going to start my morning looking for this great buck.   Several of the other photographers had the same Idea.  We joined up in the search.   I soon spotted him moving across the hillside.  We tried to get in front of him, but he was spooky this morning and took off on the run.  We tried again to get in front of him with the same outcome. He was not in the mood to have his photo taken.    I watched as he exited the area.   I got a couple photos, but poor light and such, I wasnt satisfied with them.   I followed the deer with glass until he bed.   I thought this area was off limits so did not pursue him.   We went about our day. Later I joined up and met with the photographers of the mornings chase.  Some I had already known and there were some new faces.  It was fantastic as I have been a fan of their work for ages.   They themselves have famously published their works on many magazines we all have enjoyed.    in the conversations I found out that the area the buck bed was not off limits.    I chose to go after him alone.   I made a plan and made the stalk.   It was a tough hike to get above him in the big rocks.   I got down to where I thought he was and I spotted antlers.  I closed the distance from 300 yards down to 40.   This was when I realized I was stalking another giant buck.   He eventually stood and I photod the crap out of him.  It was fantastic.  While filming him I heard the clash of antlers. Two other bucks started fighting next to us and I filmed them as well.   My biggest limitation was I left my spare battery and photocard in my vest which I changed out for my rainjacket back at the truck.  I was going to have to shoot sparingly.    I sat with this buck for over an hour.  He finally moved himself and his doe out of sight.   I decided to pursue my Target buck.  I turned around to go to where I had  last seen him and there he was standing there staring at me.   I snapped a couple pics  then began the game of getting closer.  Everytime he put his head down I closed the distance.  This cat and mouse game went on until I closed the gap to shoot him full frame.   He eventually started walking towards me and I had to back away to keep him in frame.  I spent the next hour plus shooting him up. It was awesome having him to myself, no paparazzi, no chase.  Just a giant buck doing his thing in his country.     I joked to myself I shot him up so much I needed to smoke a cigarette afterwards.  This continued for some time as  He was making his way to the other giant.  I was very curious to see how that interaction would take place.  Now that would be a buck fight.    It never happened.  Double D bedded down.  I looked for the other giant.  I spotted him down by the main trail with his 5 doe.  he had taken them out of the country of this buck.    I finished up and hiked back to my truck.      I happily exited the mountain and relocated down south to look for more deer.   I ran into one of the Photographers from the morning chase.  I shared my story and pics with him.  Then the other guys showed up and I was able to share with them as well.  I told them I thought I could get them on the bucks. One of the guys is 72.  Dont let that fool you!   They were thrilled.  Long story short, I managed to get them onto both bucks via the trail and they filled their photocards with incredible images. Im already seeing them all over the net.    It was an awesome evening, sharing world famous bucks with world famous photographers who I now would refer to as friends.

Yes this is a site about Washington, but I thought I would share my Utah buck.   Images of him were all over the internet last year.  he has changed a bunch since then.  I feel he is on a downward slide now.   Yes he is famous and manhy have had the oppurtunity to film him.  I feel blessed that I got to film him the way I did.   It was a challenge and very satisfying.

Offline Holg3107

• Sourdough
Re: World Famous
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 08:56:13 AM »
You going to throw us a bone here Bone and post up a few pics?

Post edited. Thanks Bone! Great shots! Figured there was an error with uploading when I first read the thread...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:47:37 AM by Holg3107 »

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
When i scrolled down and saw the pic i peed just a little bit.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 08:59:48 AM »
Amazing buck mister.  Glad you got a chance to meet him and bring some pics back. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 09:06:06 AM by WapitiTalk1 »
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline blacktail master

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 09:00:12 AM »
Fantastic!!

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 09:01:56 AM »
Thats an awesome story, i cant see the photo tho

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 09:09:40 AM »
Sounds like a blast ! Great pic ! Hoping to see more

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 09:26:02 AM »
I am not going to even pretend to call myself a photographer.

That said, I do enjoy "saving images on my camera" and I smile knowing some guys get this level of enjoyment out of capturing those images.  I smile knowing you're smiling.  :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 09:31:19 AM »
Thanks Gringo.  Some of my images have resulted directly from your help.   I’ll always appreciate that. 

I’ll get some more pics of him up later.  I need to sort through them.  I want one special one for the calendar.  I’m getting stuff regrouped to head out again.  I have 6 for sure and three maybes for this years calendar.   I’d like to get some mountain snow shots. I’ve still got some time.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 09:33:28 AM »
Awesome as always Bone!! Great story !!:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2017, 09:47:53 AM »
Sweet pic and great write up about the work it took to get the photo.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 09:51:44 AM »
Very Nice Bone. Great story. Thanks for sharing it and the Buck with us

Offline SkookumHntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 09:59:54 AM »
I would keep the calander all Washington bucks! IMO makes it much better!!!
IBEW89 RMEF MDF CCA

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 10:01:42 AM »
Bone, thanks for sharing your story and the pic. Tagging for future shots.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 10:02:57 AM »
Doesn't matter if it's a deer or elk, for me "U" shaped frames are the best  :tup:

Great shot.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand